Does riding effect my professionalism?

rock.gif
It's a Motorcycle... Who gives a crap?

Grrrr, Just thinking of these self rightous busy bodies pisses me off. There are exceptions, but thus far I have met very few "Female teachers" that had much of a hold on reality. They are so wrapped up in the their own little lives, and their own little senses of self rightousness that ANYTHING outside the box, causes them discomfort, fear and that turns into Hate because they cannot brave the risks involved in heading out and having fun.
mad.gif

They Suck, you ride the wheels off that thing and do wheelies for kids on the buses!!! They love that...
laugh.gif

Don't let the Mothballed Hags get under your skin. Had a neighbor in florida that was a Grade school teacher. She thought the world worked according to her preconceptions and just KNEW that her and her man were well off, "Upper Crust" yadda yadda. One of the first questions she asked when the wife and I moved in was "So what do you do for a living?" I told her I was a garbage man, I swear she flinched... Then said, No kidding, "Oh I'm sorry"...
laugh.gif
Wish I was making it up! That was the only time I spoke to her. Was awesome watching them Bottle up for hurricanes, and worrying about everything that was going on in the neighborhood... Funny stuff.

Drove them nuts that the wife and I were busy having fun, and doing things. No kids, no worries, and a good 10 years younger... She was eternally "poofaced"
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Rev, that's hysterical!
laugh.gif

I got some comments last year when I went to my son's Kindergarten class for whatever, and a lot of the Moms saw me pull up on the Busa...got some oddball stares, probably some talk when I wasn't around about how irresponsible I am for riding because I'm a Mom, blah blah blah...all stuff I pondered in my own life and I worked through it...funny part was seeing those kids with their little faces plastered up against the window watching me gear up and leave... *grin*

Doubt they did the same when Mom hauled her butt up in to the blue minivan and drove away
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Tell them that your getting more than 40 MPG and drop it at that. Then smile and say "At what they pay us, I can hardly afford gas anymore!". You will have hit one of their hot buttons and the topic will change...

for the past 5 years I conducted clinical research in the second largest burn center in the country. I also had a few projects in the trauma center. I work with fortune 500 pharmaceutical company CEO's and VP's from around the world. They all know I ride and ask how my project is coming along. Never once was my credability questioned to employers or me by anyone? They understand the importance of my work, my opinions and my perspective. The fact I ride, has nothing to do with my professional demeaner. I wear Armani when I need to and I wear Joe Rocket when I need to. The nurses I work with all ask the same question? Do you wear a helmet (Az is a no law state) and I answer; always.

Look at the demographic that has the issue; 45-55yo women who have zero exposure to what you do when you ride or why it empassions you. their exposure is watching the video clips on the 5:00 news of sportbikes running from the popo and watching some flip flop wearing moron hoist one up in mid-morning traffic.

Show the ones concerned what motorcyclists do in the community. Charity rides, toy runs, raffles for non-profit groups, christian rider org's and the amount of money bikers put back into their community. Show them the things they are not exposed to by the media.

Otherwise tell them your wife says you have a hot ass in leather and you are doing for her.
biggrin.gif

You're your own person, and riding your bike teaches that to the kids. They see their teacher riding off on a cool bike, and one day they'll realize they can be themselves, and also be intelligent and responsible. Best lesson you can teach your kids. Pretty awesome in my book.

Old women don't like motorcycles? And I thought my mother was the only one….
laugh.gif

Professional? Dude you're a middle school teacher cool trumps professional in the eyes of your students.

To answer your question - No, I would not have a problem in fact I would actually prefer my child to be taught by a motorcyclist.

Bikers are outlaws.  Image, yes it will give many people a negative impression.  As an educator there are important lessions that need to be taught - 1.  Don't judge a book by its cover.  

Keep riding, I rode to work today as always.  People see me carrying a helmet into work and its starts a conversation.  

To be successful in the new milleneum it is essential to accept diversity in the workplace - Tell the bluehairs to lighten up.

You're geared up. You don't do stunts (in front of the kids and staff at least). What's the problem?

Can they dictate what you ride to work? If your boss has a problem w/ it that would be one thing but these are peers....coworkers...they'll get over it.

.....just do a rolling burnout in their front yard.....make a happy face.

laugh.gif
 Rev, that's hysterical!  
laugh.gif

I got some comments last year when I went to my son's Kindergarten class for whatever, and a lot of the Moms saw me pull up on the Busa...got some oddball stares, probably some talk when I wasn't around about how irresponsible I am for riding because I'm a Mom, blah blah blah...all stuff I pondered in my own life and I worked through it...funny part was seeing those kids with their little faces plastered up against the window watching me gear up and leave... *grin*

Doubt they did the same when Mom hauled her butt up in to the blue minivan and drove away
laugh.gif
For some reason I have this picture in my head of all of the boys standing at the windows with their faces plastered against the glass, mouths wide open, watching you slowly remove your gear...

Errrr....hmmmm....ummmm. I'll be back in a few minutes...

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

So I asked my boss, and evaluator, my assistant principal. I knew she did not have a problem, but I wanted to make my co-worker feel like a creep. My VP smiled, laughed, and told me I could ride a skateboard to work if I wanted. She also told me the Busa was beautiful, she used to ride on the back of an RZ500 in her wilder crazier days with a boyfriend of hers. Awesome:D
biggrin.gif

tell those "sea hags" to kiss your azz! no, it doesn't affect your career one bit in my opinion. i would say it gives the kids the impression that you're an alright guy and a little more laid back, but they will still respect you, if not more. be the better person and laugh it off.

Being a responsible person and teacher is most important because you will be giving life lessons to those kids, so make sure you are wearing gear and not doing the squidly stuff and you should be fine.

I have to agree with the posted comments about the example - some people might look down on you for riding as it might encourage more (and younger) people to ride - but as long as you are wearing your gear it seems as though that is a fairly responsible example to set. I posted a topic like this about a year and a half ago, when we had a Marine die in a single vehicle (motorcycle) accident; I started recieving comments about the leadership example that I was setting for my young and impressionable students (newly commissioned officers, appointed Warrants senior enlisted E-7 and above, civilians GS-11 and above)... I have maintained that I wear gear and ride like there are consequences to stupidity... I think I set a decent example for my students.

This also came up with me because I have tattoos that show while in uniform... I have been told on several occassions that I am lacking in professionalism for marking up my body in a way that may not reflect positively on the image of the Marine Corps... If I was less than a professional, those comments might bother me -

I have to agree with the posted comments about the example - some people might look down on you for riding as it might encourage more (and younger) people to ride - but as long as you are wearing your gear it seems as though that is a fairly responsible example to set.  I posted a topic like this about a year and a half ago, when we had a Marine die in a single vehicle (motorcycle) accident; I started recieving comments about the leadership example that I was setting for my young and impressionable students (newly commissioned officers, appointed Warrants senior enlisted E-7 and above, civilians GS-11 and above)... I have maintained that I wear gear and ride like there are consequences to stupidity... I think I set a decent example for my students.

This also came up with me because I have tattoos that show while in uniform... I have been told on several occassions that I am lacking in professionalism for marking up my body in a way that may not reflect positively on the image of the Marine Corps...  If I was less than a professional, those comments might bother me -
You have tattoos? Oh my gosh!!!

I sometimes pass gas but I do it in a real professional manner. I don't laugh and yell "ewww" or anything like that. I just act like it wasn't me. It's that image thingy, ya know!

I know how you feel. I own a company (Realestate investment co.) with people working for me and also a Realtor... I get "the look" once in a while. I often think about taking my Escalade to a meeting instead of the Busa. But I also get alot of positive feedback because of it though. When I tell them I get 40 to 50 ish on gas mileage, compared to 14 to 18 in my SUV, they change there minds. I do alot of driving, and when I am checking out properties, a bike is great. I can stop, snap pics, drive up on the curb, get in the backyards sometimes. I can get through city roads quick and save lots of $$$ at the same time. I even talked my biz. partner into getting a bike. It was a little 600 cbr, but he was just learning. We both save a fortune in gas.

Why are you even concerned about these blue haired cynics perception of you? Their minds are made up, move on without a thought!

Give a puritan an inch and they'll take a mile!

dont waste your time they come from an era of studabakers and dress shirts and ties....

F'em. If you do your best and really care and want the best from your kids and they love you then you shouldn't care what these petty witches say.

Back