does riding burn calories?

BUSAFETT

Registered
I've noticed that any time I ride my Busa for more than an hour, by the time I get home I'm STARVING. Does this happen to anyone else, and is it b/c you're thrashing around on the bike that does it?

BF

Buy an off road to burn colries.
winkold.gif

Sure, just think about it. You are in a squatting/push-up position for the duration of the ride. Then you are actively balancing, holding on, maneuvering and scanning for hazards. You brain is in a hightened state of awareness and you flow a bit of adrenaline from time to time.
So, riding a sport bike, at least to me, can be a very strenuous exercise.
I know I tend to get in great shape when I ride regularly.

Sure, just think about it. You are in a squatting/push-up position for the duration of the ride. Then you are actively balancing, holding on, maneuvering and scanning for hazards. You brain is in a hightened state of awareness and you flow a bit of adrenaline from time to time.
So, riding a sport bike, at least to me, can be a very strenuous exercise.
I know I tend to get in great shape when I ride regularly.
That was my thoughts exactly- you're also indirectly working your abs arms etc when you're flipping from side to side to lean. I'm sure it's not a high intensity workout when compared to other stuff, but for an old guy like me who doesn't get to the gym these days, this is a great substitute
biggrin.gif

BF

Sure it burns cals  
hello.gif
!!! Since your excited, looking forward to the ride and having the stimulas of the situation your burning alot
tounge.gif
. Kinda like when I use to test jump parachutes
please.gif
, I was ALWAYS hungry when I got back ! All that nervous tension not only burns cals, but makes you VERY HUNGRY which is good because it keeps your attention  
ThumbsUp.gif

I don't think riding on the street is too much of a workout, unless you are riding very aggresively, or too tense and rigid. I only break out sweating (in cold or mild weather) when close to my safety limits (either on the beemer or the gixer). After long twisty sections at a fast pace, what I do get is some quad soreness, due to moving my 187 lbs around, not spending too much time seated.

Back