Does my timing look ok

bigirb2002

Registered
This is as close as I could get. Is it ok. Stock motor
PicsArt_09-30-04.47.44.jpg

PicsArt_09-30-04.47.44.jpg

Service manual says counter clockwise
OK, I've not looked at the Gen 2 service manual procedure for this, but the Gen 1 manual says to "rotate the engine (some turns)", it doesn't state "anti clockwise" and I've always turned it clockwise which is the normal direction it runs.
If you turn it anti clockwise, the chain is pushing the tensioner plunger inwards, and you can hear a clicking sound . . the plunger should only move outward to hold tension against the chain?
I may be missing something here Bryan, is the Gen 2 tensioner different than Gen 1?
I'll take a look at the Gen 2 manual when I get to work this morning.
OK, so I just had a look at it, the counter clockwise direction rotation is 180 degrees of rotation . . . .
"After installing the cam chain tension adjuster, turn the crank approx 180 deg counterclockwise to make the plunger come out from the adjuster against the cam chain, via the tensioner"
So it's a setting procedure.

Last edited:
OK, I've not looked at the Gen 2 service manual procedure for this, but the Gen 1 manual says to "rotate the engine (some turns)", it doesn't state "anti clockwise" and I've always turned it clockwise which is the normal direction it runs.
If you turn it anti clockwise, the chain is pushing the tensioner plunger inwards, and you can hear a clicking sound . . the plunger should only move outward to hold tension against the chain?
I may be missing something here Bryan, is the Gen 2 tensioner different than Gen 1?
I'll take a look at the Gen 2 manual when I get to work this morning.
Many models require a turn in opposite direction of normal running to activate auto function on cam chain tensioner when it starts fully depressed. It stops chance of jumping out of time on 1st start up with to much slack on timing chain .

Many models require a turn in opposite direction of normal running to activate auto function on cam chain tensioner when it starts fully depressed. It stops chance of jumping out of time on 1st start up with to much slack on timing chain .
Thanks for that info, I’ve learned something today!
I’m limited as to how many different makes and models of motorcycles I’ve dealt with, but cars.... I’ve had 40 years on them lol !

Back