Does coolant brand really matter?

bmob

Registered
I was looking at my coolant the other day, and it needed a change (wasn't keeping the bike too cool anymore, starting to overheat and leave residue) and i picked up a bottle of prestone dexcool 50/50. I was wondering if this is safe to use on the bike, I mean the manual says any ethylene glycol based antifreeze. Hopefully its good to go, any thoughts or experience?:please:

if it says it in the manual it should be fine...as long as it is safe for aluminum.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah its for Gm vehicles which use aluminum in their blocks and radiators, its also silicate free which is where it counts. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

I would steer away from the very cheapest coolants.. (get what you pay for thing up to a point) The real budget stuff is often recycled or has recycled coolant content..

Now I have no idea if it will hurt a thing or not but it has an "off odor" to it (used to buy the stuff by the barrel for lease car returns) and for a couple bucks more, you have new with known additive package..

I agree with all the comments above. Safe for aluminum is the key and new. I've had good success with Suzuki coolant and Red Line water wetter. Wardie:thumbsup:

I waited 5 years to change the stock coolant. I have multiple bikes though, so the mileage on the bike wasn't too high. The coolant looked great, and the radiator was as clean as new....no crud whatsoever anywhere in the system. The bike never gave me any heating issues....I just felt guilty that I hadn't ever changed it :laugh:

I was looking at my coolant the other day, and it needed a change (wasn't keeping the bike too cool anymore, starting to overheat and leave residue) and i picked up a bottle of prestone dexcool 50/50. I was wondering if this is safe to use on the bike, I mean the manual says any ethylene glycol based antifreeze. Hopefully its good to go, any thoughts or experience?:please:

If your bike is overheating, the coolant itself will not really have different heat transfer properties, it means something else is wrong. If you have residue in your cooling system, you will have to get this cleaned out well, a flush may not do the job. A proper cooling system service may have to include sending the radiator to a service center, to clean the cores. Once this is done, keep flushing the system with an aditive until no dirt is observed and make sure to replace the thermostat.

Back