Does anyone know how to lower front, do 3/4" GenMar spacer, & Helibars all together?

Re: Does anyone know how to lower front, do 3/4" GenMar spacer, & Helibars all togeth

The stock length lines are fine and should not need rerouted.
If the brake/clutch master cylinders do contact the inner windsheild it will only be at full turn, and very lightly.

that's awesome...cross that off the list of things i'm buying tomorrow. Thanks!!

Re: Does anyone know how to lower front, do 3/4" GenMar spacer, & Helibars all togeth

Stainless steel brake lines will improve brake feel and are money well spent, just so you know.
If you are unsure about anything at all, please post here first. There's alot of knowledgeable folks here that can help you out. Good luck with it:beerchug:

DO NOT PAY ANYONE $300 TO INSTALL HELI-BARS!!!!!!!(How do some people sleep at night?!)
It is very simple and you only need a couple basic hand tools.
If you lived close by I'de have them on in 20 or 30 minutes and for free.
There are many tutorial threads, free advice, and the free service manual posted here.
Buy yourself some tools if you do not have them and learn to use them here.
They will pay for themselves many times over and keep you from having to take your bike to anyone.
It'll save you time and money.

Funny... i thought about that today. If i'm going to be doing all these mods.. i should learn how to do some of it myself.

The $300 was actually for cutting the forks i was guessing. I didn't write that very clearly - sorry...

The shop i use quoted me $100 to do the helibars and the 3/4" spacer. (2 hours).... they both seem like something i could tackle EXCEPT it's going to be more complicated with trying to lower the bike and all that. I can't lower the bike on my own... and i'm going from an aftermarket triple tree that is lowered - to using a stock triple tree and the spacer to lower it ..... so then the helibars will fit and not hit stuff...

I was thinking about just having him do the triple tree removal/new triple tree/spacer and lowering for 1 hour at $50 and doing the helibars myself after that.... but I'm a little nervous. I don't have back up grips and i might trash mine taking them off. lol.. i have no experience w/this stuff... It's tempting to try but also tempting to pay $50 for him to do it... :confused2:

*and thanks for the offer.... i used to live in VA and i would have taken u up on it*

ok silly question... what tools would u suggest i get? i'm more than open to trying stuff.... all i have is the little kit the bike comes with and the regular tools like hammer, screwdrivers...that's it.

How does the front end feel on that bike?
Does it dive hard when you brake and bounce a little when you stop?
Alot of bikes have never had the suspesion sag set. Since the back is lowered too and it's not a corner carver sag isn't a huge deal. However, if you at least set the front(or check to see where it's set, maybe it's fine)you will end up with a more stable feeling front end.

Funny... i thought about that today. If i'm going to be doing all these mods.. i should learn how to do some of it myself.

The $300 was actually for cutting the forks i was guessing. I didn't write that very clearly - sorry...

The shop i use quoted me $100 to do the helibars and the 3/4" spacer. (2 hours).... they both seem like something i could tackle EXCEPT it's going to be more complicated with trying to lower the bike and all that. I can't lower the bike on my own... and i'm going from an aftermarket triple tree that is lowered - to using a stock triple tree and the spacer to lower it ..... so then the helibars will fit and not hit stuff...

I was thinking about just having him do the triple tree removal/new triple tree/spacer and lowering for 1 hour at $50 and doing the helibars myself after that.... but I'm a little nervous. I don't have back up grips and i might trash mine taking them off. lol.. i have no experience w/this stuff... It's tempting to try but also tempting to pay $50 for him to do it... :confused2:

If you have the allen wreches or sockets you can do it.
The lower triple clamp will hold the bike where it is while you remove and switch out the upper.
You can slide the forks down in the clamps by yourself too.
Do whatever you're comfortable with, just don't be intimidated.
I guess the price breakdown isn't too outrageous either for a shop.

Stainless steel brake lines will improve brake feel and are money well spent, just so you know.
If you are unsure about anything at all, please post here first. There's alot of knowledgeable folks here that can help you out. Good luck with it:beerchug:

i actually called a guy at Galfer yesterday and he said the same thing to me about stainless. They're black now and i guess i need to look to see how i like the black vs stainless look. Thanks - i will definitely be posting because i'm unsure about most of this.... learning a lot from you guys... thanks!! :)

i actually called a guy at Galfer yesterday and he said the same thing to me about stainless. They're black now and i guess i need to look to see how i like the black vs stainless look. Thanks - i will definitely be posting because i'm unsure about most of this.... learning a lot from you guys... thanks!! :)

Pashnit has Galfer lines on sale now and can get you a wide variety of colors(lines and ends).
He's great to do business with, many here will attest to that, myself included.

How does the front end feel on that bike?
Does it dive hard when you brake and bounce a little when you stop?
Alot of bikes have never had the suspesion sag set. Since the back is lowered too and it's not a corner carver sag isn't a huge deal. However, if you at least set the front(or check to see where it's set, maybe it's fine)you will end up with a more stable feeling front end.

I just had new pads put on it last week when i bought it - so the front brakes feel good. No bouncing...no diving. ...doesn't stop as fast as my R1 did but still very good and nothing that caused me to think about it. The rear brakes kind of stink but im comparing that to my R1 with 1000 miles on it too - so not really fair. They're at like 85% apparently so it's just the added bike weight i guess.

Honestly, i feel more secure in twisties with this bike now than i did my R1. It seems more stable so i feel like l can lean more. Even yesterday with new tires (not leaning nearly as much as i will be in a month) it felt quick and nice in the corners. I guess because i raised it from where it was before (not sure if u saw... went from 1 1/2 to 1 in the front and from 4 to 3" lowered in the back).

This new 3/4" riser will make me raise it another 1/4 inch so that will be even better maybe.

I'll watch out for what you're saying and get it checked if it needs checking for sure. thanks..

Now i just hope this doesn't turn into a wheelie machine with the helibars and riser. Saw some people complaining about that. ....and i only weigh about a buck 60.

***edit - i have only 1 front brake caliper....the guy took the other one off so u could see the chrome rims*** forgot to mention that...

Pashnit has Galfer lines on sale now and can get you a wide variety of colors(lines and ends).
He's great to do business with, many here will attest to that, myself included.

cool! i see his name sprinkled all over the place and was browsing his website. The man sure does travel!!! i'll check him out...

Heli-bars and risers won't make it a wheelie machine, it doesn't transfer a significant amount of weight off of the front end.
Those are opinions of people who feel uncomfortable whenever the front end gets light under hard throttle.
A busa will wheelie with ease no matter what mods, it's all in the wrist(even a stretched bike can be wheelied if you want it:laugh:)

If you have the allen wreches or sockets you can do it.
The lower triple clamp will hold the bike where it is while you remove and switch out the upper.
You can slide the forks down in the clamps by yourself too.
Do whatever you're comfortable with, just don't be intimidated.
I guess the price breakdown isn't too outrageous either for a shop.

Yeah, my father has 3 bikes and uses this shop because he's very... um... thrifty. The prices aren't bad....luckily the mechanic is a prior hayabusa owner and lover.. The owner is not either one of those things (grumpy).

The mechanic seemed to really struggle to lower the forks 2 days ago (raise the bike/lower the forks?) ...and i asked if i could watch and they wouldn't let me closer than the door - like 10 feet away. I was trying to learn... sucks..

I don't have allen wrenches or sockets. I guess i need to get those.

Im calling the dealerships around me tomorrow to see how much they charge AND if they'll let me watch closely because i really want to see how it's done. I want to be able to do this stuff myself... i'm a visual person... reading it and doing it is not as easy as a video or in person for me.

Heli-bars and risers won't make it a wheelie machine, it doesn't transfer a significant amount of weight off of the front end.
Those are opinions of people who feel uncomfortable whenever the front end gets light under hard throttle.
A busa will wheelie with ease no matter what mods, it's all in the wrist(even a stretched bike can be wheelied if you want it:laugh:)

that's awesome, whew! My other worry was that the bike will look stupid with helibars AND a riser... but the more i see pics of bikes with them from the side.. it's not that easy to tell and people still seem to look the same riding them... just by bending over a little more or more elbow bending. I didn't want to look like i was driving a police cruiser or anything that dramatic. I am hoping it's a stealth way to be comfortable but still look stock to random people checking out the busa....

Send the forks to me, and ill cut them, replace the seals and do a complete service on them for $200! Plus shipping, and turn around time will be just the shipping time, i will get them done the same day i receive them!
that seems crazy expensive and kind of irreversible to me. I just looked up a tutorial on how to do it and i'm having trouble thinking about doing helibars myself, let alone that. My shop would charge me $300 to even attempt that i think.

Prob the safest I'm guessing... but i like the option of changing it later if i want.. :) ..(but i'm sure you're right)...

If if want stiffer springs, installed while it apart ill install them also!

Send the forks to me, and ill cut them, replace the seals and do a complete service on them for $200! Plus shipping, and turn around time will be just the shipping time, i will get them done the same day i receive them!

thanks a lot for the offer....it's very tempting. The main problem is that i don't want to do anything that's irreversible. I know i may sell it one day so i try to keep my mods within reason. (not that that's going to be obvious or make it unsalable by any means...). It's a good idea and i may take u up on it one day if i need it lower than the 3/4" i'll be after this mod.

the other big problem is I don't have a way to get forks off without paying the shop $50 and then my bike is dead at the shop for a week and a half or whatever. Plus shipping those beasts back and forth. It just is a little too drastic to avoid the 1/4-1/8" im going to end up raising the bike with the stuff i'm doing. If i lost the lowering completely i'd do it. But 3/4 is close enough to the current 1" or 7/8" (depending on my measurements).

It's good to know you can do this stuff. If i need anything like this done i'll definitely ask you about it. ....and i may take u up on this if the offer still stands later on. Thanks again!

If if want stiffer springs, installed while it apart ill install them also!

I'm actually clueless with that too - but i'm looking into tracks around here. I think doing some track days will tune me in to this bike more - esp since i never did anything like that. Live and learn...and keep the bike up :please: ....again, ill keep that in mind 2 - thanks

I'm actually clueless with that too - but i'm looking into tracks around here. I think doing some track days will tune me in to this bike more - esp since i never did anything like that. Live and learn...and keep the bike up :please: ....again, ill keep that in mind 2 - thanks

Track day as in dragstrip or roadcourse?
Because you really don't want to ride a lowered bike on a roadcoarse.
You don't have the ground clearance to do very much with it. You'll be dragging fairings and won't be able to carry any speed through the corners.

Track day as in dragstrip or roadcourse?
Because you really don't want to ride a lowered bike on a roadcoarse.
You don't have the ground clearance to do very much with it. You'll be dragging fairings and won't be able to carry any speed through the corners.

That's true you're right.... i was going to do research into something that would let me use someone else's bike. I know a guy that did that but it was a long time ago. I'd like to be aggressive and not worry about dumping it.... i wouldn't do that w/my bike. If not then maybe a class using the class' bikes or something. Just a whim but i'd be all over it if they had bikes to rent or something. lol maybe i'm nuts and they don't even do that anymore.

Am looking into having Racetech internally lowering my front end approx. 1" right now(makes it handy since they're right up the road from my house:thumbsup:)and doing any necessary re-valving/tuning etc. to compensate for my fat 255 lb. azz.:laugh:

Lowering

That's cool! and a good link. I'm sure it'll go well but let me know anyway. If i was close like you are I might do it too!

Back