Does anyone know how to lower front, do 3/4" GenMar spacer, & Helibars all together?

yellowdog99

Registered
My bike (07 busa) is lowered 1" using a chrome triple tree.

The problem is i want to do a 3/4" GenMar spacer and Helibars....but they don't clear the fairing when you use them with an aftermarket triple tree (because the area where the bar attaches on the aftermarket triple tree is more forward and behind the fork more....not on the fork like the OEM is).

So... i can easily go back to a stock triple tree and do the spacer and helibars - but then my bike is not lowered... and i need it to stay lowered in the front.

Does anyone know how to do a 3/4" Genmar spacer (with helibars) AND lower it at the same time... in a solid way... not compressing the forks or anything I think is kind of unsafe... ???

Thanks!!!

Re: Does anyone know how to lower front, do 3/4" GenMar spacer, & Helibars all togeth

Just a question - why do you need it lowered in the front? Is it just the angle you are trying to achieve? Could you accomplish the same thing by raising the rear and then use the stock TT?

You can lower the front using the stock clamp and a soupys spacer, which will raise the bars anyway so you may not need the gen mar. But youll be using your stock top clamp so you'll have that option if you would like to raise them more.

Re: Does anyone know how to lower front, do 3/4" GenMar spacer, & Helibars all togeth

Just a question - why do you need it lowered in the front? Is it just the angle you are trying to achieve? Could you accomplish the same thing by raising the rear and then use the stock TT?

I just bought the bike and the front was lowered 1 1/2" and the rear 4". I changed it to 1" in the front and 3 in the rear and like that (because i doesn't bottom out now)... and its for the look... i like the lowered look and feel.

So, long story short...i want to Stay lowered.... but i have to get rid of my aftermarket triple tree (which is lowering the front) to raise the bars and do the helibars. So i need to figure out how to put on the OEM tree.... and then get back to 1" lowered and 3/4" higher (genmar) and helibars (kind of irrelevant to the problem)...

You can lower the front using the stock clamp and a soupys spacer, which will raise the bars anyway so you may not need the gen mar. But youll be using your stock top clamp so you'll have that option if you would like to raise them more.

the soupy's spacer will both lower the front and raise the handlebars at the same time?

if this is the case why will the soupy's do that and the Gen Mar won't? I called a genmar dealer and they said no...just handlebars get raised. :banghead:

the soupy's spacer will both lower the front and raise the handlebars at the same time?

if this is the case why will the soupy's do that and the Gen Mar won't? I called a genmar dealer and they said no...just handlebars get raised. :banghead:

Its a spacer that goes between the top clamp and upper triple tree. The gen mar, which ive never seen in person, looks like a spacer to just raise the handlebar clamping point, vs the whole top clamp being moved up

Also, never use a lowering strap on the street. Theyre for drag racing, it has a set of problems all of its own

It's simple: install the Genmar riser (3/4") on your bike; with the riser installed, your handlebars are moved up and back slightly - you will notice this immediately when you ride it. With the riser in place, it gives you room to raise the fork legs in the triple trees 3/4" - which in turn, will lower the front. BTW, look closely at your stock fork tubes - you will find that if you raise them MORE than 3/4", you end up with the lower triple tree partially clamping on the tapered portion of the fork tube - something you don't want(IMO), even though people do it all the time . . .:poke:

Its a spacer that goes between the top clamp and upper triple tree. The gen mar, which ive never seen in person, looks like a spacer to just raise the handlebar clamping point, vs the whole top clamp being moved up

Also, never use a lowering strap on the street. Theyre for drag racing, it has a set of problems all of its own

so you're saying it'll do both then? raise handlebars and lower bike?

this is why im confused.. here's the GenMar... and the Soupy's...

resize.jpg

soupy.jpg

so you're saying it'll do both then? raise handlebars and lower bike?

this is why im confused.. here's the GenMar... and the Soupy's...

Sorry for the confusion. If the holes on the gen mar are big enough, it would allow you to do the same thing as the soupys. With the soupys the holes are large enough to let the fork legs slide up into them up to the thickness of the spacer.

Sorry for that again, the gen mar I googled looked nothing like that.

Frank treed me. Hes got a better explanation

It's simple: install the Genmar riser (3/4") on your bike; with the riser installed, your handlebars are moved up and back slightly - you will notice this immediately when you ride it. With the riser in place, it gives you room to raise the fork legs in the triple trees 3/4" - which in turn, will lower the front. BTW, look closely at your stock fork tubes - you will find that if you raise them MORE than 3/4", you end up with the lower triple tree partially clamping on the tapered portion of the fork tube - something you don't want(IMO), even though people do it all the time . . .:poke:

did i call a GenMar dealer that just didn't know his stuff? he was like "no... it will not lower the bike" ... but your explanation makes total sense.

and the last part i don't understand... is that dangerous? and the triple tree clamping on the tapered portion.... you mean having it like 1mm or so too high and the triple tree squishing the tapered part?..... if so why would people do that for like 1mm or lowering? ...assuming that's what you mean...

and thank you for the info above... let me know what u mean about the last part.. :)

Sorry for the confusion. If the holes on the gen mar are big enough, it would allow you to do the same thing as the soupys. With the soupys the holes are large enough to let the fork legs slide up into them up to the thickness of the spacer.

Sorry for that again, the gen mar I googled looked nothing like that.

lol that's ok... im totally new to this so im kind of clueless... ok cool... thank you!!

The tapered portion of the forks means that the fork tube is not the same diameter all the way down.
So after you slide the forks up in the triple clamps high enough, you are then clamping on that part of the fork.
The clamp will not be flush against the fork tube completely through the hole, so it can't clamp as tightly as it's designed too. It's like dropping a cone through a hole, it doesn't make contact with the sides of the hole completely through because of it's shape.
Make sense?

The tapered portion of the forks means that the fork tube is not the same diameter all the way down.
So after you slide the forks up in the triple clamps high enough, you are then clamping on that part of the fork.
The clamp will not be flush against the fork tube completely through the hole, so it can't clamp as tightly as it's designed too. It's like dropping a cone through a hole, it doesn't make contact with the sides of the hole completely through because of it's shape.
Make sense?

oh yeah that makes sense.. thanks. So as long as i stay at 3/4 or really really close to it (1mm off either way) i should be ok right? You guys were talking about more like 1/2" or something more dramatic - not just off a little tiny bit I'm assuming.

The correct way to achieve what you really want is to have the forks internally cut!

oh yeah that makes sense.. thanks. So as long as i stay at 3/4 or really really close to it (1mm off either way) i should be ok right? You guys were talking about more like 1/2" or something more dramatic - not just off a little tiny bit I'm assuming.

Yep.
Any of the riser blocks, or just the bolt spacer style will work fine too.
.75" IS as high as you can go with heli-bars and still use the stock length brake and clutch lines too.
I am unfamiliar with inner windsheild and clearance issues on the gen1 with the 2 combined, but the gen2 has none with this setup as I have had it myself.

Yep.
Any of the riser blocks, or just the bolt spacer style will work fine too.
.75" IS as high as you can go with heli-bars and still use the stock length brake and clutch lines too.
I am unfamiliar with inner windsheild and clearance issues on the gen1 with the 2 combined, but the gen2 has none with this setup as I have had it myself.

oh, i didn't even get into brake/clutch lines here. I didn't want to complicate things. So u think i can keep stock lines too? that would be great. Even at full extension or going airborn over speedbumps, etc?

how did you reroute each of them if you don't mind me asking?

and my windscreen is scratched beyone repair (just bought the bike) so i needed a new windscreen anyway... luckily...

The correct way to achieve what you really want is to have the forks internally cut!

that seems crazy expensive and kind of irreversible to me. I just looked up a tutorial on how to do it and i'm having trouble thinking about doing helibars myself, let alone that. My shop would charge me $300 to even attempt that i think.

Prob the safest I'm guessing... but i like the option of changing it later if i want.. :) ..(but i'm sure you're right)...

oh, i didn't even get into brake/clutch lines here. I didn't want to complicate things. So u think i can keep stock lines too? that would be great. Even at full extension or going airborn over speedbumps, etc?

how did you reroute each of them if you don't mind me asking?

and my windscreen is scratched beyone repair (just bought the bike) so i needed a new windscreen anyway... luckily...

The stock length lines are fine and should not need rerouted.
If the brake/clutch master cylinders do contact the inner windsheild it will only be at full turn, and very lightly.

that seems crazy expensive and kind of irreversible to me. I just looked up a tutorial on how to do it and i'm having trouble thinking about doing helibars myself, let alone that. My shop would charge me $300 to even attempt that i think.

Prob the safest I'm guessing... but i like the option of changing it later if i want.. :) ..(but i'm sure you're right)...

DO NOT PAY ANYONE $300 TO INSTALL HELI-BARS!!!!!!!(How do some people sleep at night?!)
It is very simple and you only need a couple basic hand tools.
If you lived close by I'de have them on in 20 or 30 minutes and for free.
There are many tutorial threads, free advice, and the free service manual posted here.
Buy yourself some tools if you do not have them and learn to use them here.
They will pay for themselves many times over and keep you from having to take your bike to anyone.
It'll save you time and money.

Back