Does anyone here own an s1krr

Dopey

Donating Member
Registered
I'm currently working on a 2011 s1krr and the more I work on these things the more I don't like them. Customer wanted some Oxford hard grips like I installed on his busa put on and so against my better judgement I agreed to give it a go. Well it turns out that bmw in their awesome wisdom decided to make the throttle tube out of a plastic version of a toilet paper roll and fuse the grip to it which after doing some reading had turned out to break on quite a few people. Well of course this one broke and out looks as the only way to replace it is to buy the whole assembly for between120-200. I can't find any aftermarket ones but did find a post online that said they had for a zx14 throttle tube to it but didn't say the year and looking at the pics the cam is waaaaay smaller then the bmw so I'm guessing it's gonna need more turn to reach full throttle. I'm just curious if anyone here owns one and may have come up with a reasonable fix for it. I think I still have my oem tube from the busa so I'm gonna try fitting that up and see how it fits tomorrow and then I guess I'm gonna find out how many different zx14 tunes there are and try those of the busa one don't work. If anyone has any ideas I do appreciate any help.

Will this work?

Screenshot_20220519-100425_Chrome.jpg

Our BMW tech at work (BMW Suzuki franchise) had to fit heated grips to a fly by wire throttle assembly once . . it took him ages and he was NOT happy.
He made quite a mess of it and in the end he told the service manager to never take on a job like that again!
I have no idea re your fix needed for the S1000RR, but good luck finding a tube.
When the grip is bonded like that to the tube, our approach is that we cut as much off as possible (stanley knife/razor blade) without wrecking the tube, then use the wire wheel on the bench grinder to bring the rubber down to the plastic tube carefully, without damaging the tube.
Gotta wear a mask coz the rubber turns to fine particles coming off it, and you do not wanna breathe in
that crap.

Will this work?

View attachment 1651185
I had seen that and was thinking about ordering it or something similar only thing I'm worried about is how much turn its gonna take to reach full throttle. I'm gonna try my old busa tube tonight and if it fits then I know worse case is I order an r1 or r6 tube like we do for the busas and should be able to get it close to the right amount of twisting needed for full throttle.

Our BMW tech at work (BMW Suzuki franchise) had to fit heated grips to a fly by wire throttle assembly once . . it took him ages and he was NOT happy.
He made quite a mess of it and in the end he told the service manager to never take on a job like that again!
I have no idea re your fix needed for the S1000RR, but good luck finding a tube.
When the grip is bonded like that to the tube, our approach is that we cut as much off as possible (stanley knife/razor blade) without wrecking the tube, then use the wire wheel on the bench grinder to bring the rubber down to the plastic tube carefully, without damaging the tube.
Gotta wear a mask coz the rubber turns to fine particles coming off it, and you do not wanna breathe in
that crap.
I had actually gotten out of this job because he wanted it done when I did his and his wife's busas but now that I've got my little shop going he brought it in and against my better judgement I agreed to do it. The way bmw makes the tubes is just plain ridiculous, it's literally rolled like a toilet paper roll and even as careful as I was it end up tearing when I was peeling the grip off. Odk of this is actually fly by wire similar to the gen3 busa but it does have cables running to it so hopefully I can just find something that'll fit. Like I said I did find one post on an s1k forum where the guy said he used a zx14 tube but didn't specify the year or how much turn it needed for full throttle.

Back