Does anyone give GPS lessons~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I grew up with a fairly advance technical knowledge, or at least I thought I did. Somewhere along the line I believe the technology has caught up with me.

Most people can hop into their vehicle and operate their dashboard GPS just fine, mine is no different. I purchased this handheld GPS, however, a couple years ago and it is so far beyond my understanding that it has literally been of little use to me.

It happens to be a Garmin Rino 530HCX with two way 40 channel radio, along many other features such as placing your position on the other GPS units every time you mike up. I certainly thought it would be a good one, and not lacking any needed functions.

"with the Garmin Rino 530 HCx, which provides full color map handheld GPS functionality, plus a powerful two-way radio, plus NOAA weather radio, and more. But its position reporting feature is its unique factor. Press the "call" or "talk" keys to automatically send your exact location to other Rino users in your group, or "poll" others' locations from the menu to appear on your map. The Rino's sturdy, waterproof, rubber-armored construction helps it stand up to rough outdoors treatment."

I have been looking all over the internet attempting to locate a local GPS class that someone may be giving...no luck~!~

Around here no one, not even the sales person know a thing about how the units operate.

I can figure out most of the more advanced stuff on the unit, but the little things bug me to death...like reseting the trail line function. It saves a large number of trails (paths/trtips you have been on) but I can never start the trail over, and when I turn the unit on again it picks up where the unit was last turned off.

I pretty much purchased these unit's for ATV's, when we get separated on large plots of land we could find each other easily.

My question is this...does anyone know how to locate training classes for GPS units~?~ I'd love to learn all the functions of this piece of equipment that puts my know how to shame.

Garmin.jpg

Have you contacted Garmin directly? Their website has plenty of information, as well as all of the software and firmware updates.

I use a Zumo 550, and the interface is really simple, so I don't have any hard answers for you.

I know the Rino was (is?) big with the globe trekking set, geo-cachers, etc. There has got to be a website with the answers to the specific questions you have.

Alternatively, if you have an iPhone, just download MotionX GPS, and MotionX GPS Drive. They cost less than a fiver, user friendly and work excellent.
gps2.jpg

Don't feel bad. Every GPS interface is different, and some are better than others. I used to fly for a company that had six different airplanes and guess what...six different GPS or LORAN units from various manufacturers.

You are not alone. I can only tell you to try internet forums and have the owners manual with you.
I have never heard of a GPS class. It would be almost impossible to find anyone familiar with all models and the changes from upgrade to upgrade.
I don't use the Rinos very often, I would have to go back and read the manual again. They are great units, loaded with features.
Read the manual many times until you become familiar.
keep a manual in the bathroom. :laugh:

Alternatively, if you have an iPhone, just download MotionX GPS, and MotionX GPS Drive. They cost less than a fiver, user friendly and work excellent.
gps2.jpg

iphone won't touch the features a Rino has.

Answer the call of the wild with Rino 530. This waterproof FRS/GMRS radio plus GPS navigator packs a powerful 5 watts of transmit power along with a brilliant color display, rechargeable lithium-ion battery, barometric altimeter, electronic compass and built-in NOAA weather radio.
Transmit Farther

Rino 530 boasts a whopping 5 watts of transmit power (GMRS), so you can now call for help from up to 14 miles away (line of sight). In Canada, you can transmit at 2 watts over GMRS with a range of up to 8 miles.
Keep Your Eye on the Weather

To help you keep tabs on changing weather conditions, Rino 530 has a built-in weather radio that scans for the nearest NOAA weather radio station. You can also set up a weather alert tone, so when your radio is on, it will alert you when a storm warning is being broadcast for your area.

Other Rino 530 features:

* Barometric altimeter pinpoints your precise elevation.
* Electronic compass tells you what direction you’re headed, even when you're standing still.
* Bold color TFT display makes it easy to see and navigate to family or friends at an amusement park, lake or other outdoor group activity.
* Automatic routing and turn-by-turn directions with alert tones let you find an address or point of interest and drive there (when combined with Garmin's optional MapSource® software).
* Fast USB computer connection and 56 megabytes (MB) of internal memory for rapid download and extra map storage.
* Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 16 hours of outdoor use.

Find Your Friends

Like the rest of the Rino series, Rino 530 offers a Position Reporting feature so you can send your exact location to other Rino users in your group so they can see your position on the map page. And, because Rino is a standard FRS/GMRS radio, you can use it to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radios around.

Try going to You Tube and searching for a "How To" video.

you gotta be kind of old to get that one I guess ... :rofl:

you gotta love technology that is so good, it buries you huh?

Technology is kinda funny isn't it, used to be back in the day some could out ride the bike (at least it seemed that way)...but now it would take one helluva rider to come anywhere close to using a motorcycle's full potential~!~

Technology is kinda funny isn't it, used to be back in the day some could out ride the bike (at least it seemed that way)...but now it would take one helluva rider to come anywhere close to using a motorcycle's full potential~!~
Awww you had a 70's dirt bike too huh? :rofl:

iphone won't touch the features a Rino has.

Actually, I've been using this Motion X program quite a bit and its does almost everything that the Rhino does in your description, some even better, for example the weather alerting, you can just bring up a live radar feed, built in compass, elevation, etc... Now if you lose the cell tower signal, some of the features will be lost, but not the GPS functions...just saying.

Back