Dodge Truck owners - Ram 1500

I can't comment specifically on the 1500 but I bought brand new a '95 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Sport with the 5.2L Magnum. I put over 140,000 miles on it and have only had to do routine maintenance and a starter. That's it.

I gave that truck to my uncle last month and now I'm driving a '03 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins TurboDiesel.

In '85 I had a Dodge Ram and it was a piece of junk. Yes, they made vast improvements.

Thinking of it, I had a '91 Hyundai Sonata whose tranny was replaced 3 times before I got rid of it. Now they're saying Hyundai is one of the best built cars in that market. Might be time to consider upgrading the Focus.

Reliability . Hows the auto-transmissions holding up ?[/Quote]
I got a 2000 4Wd 2500 V10 with 47000 miles..I just hadda put a rebuilt tranny in it..2100 bucks!
I will never buy a dodge again!

My nex truck (if i buy
0 will be Japanese...

(PandaNin @ Mar. 03 2007,08:31) I can't comment specifically on the 1500 but I bought brand new a '95 Dodge Dakota 4x4 Sport with the 5.2L Magnum.  I put over 140,000 miles on it and have only had to do routine maintenance and a starter.  That's it.

I gave that truck to my uncle last month and now I'm driving a '03 Dodge 2500 4x4 with the Cummins TurboDiesel.  

In '85 I had a Dodge Ram and it was a piece of junk.  Yes, they made vast improvements.  

Thinking of it, I had a '91 Hyundai Sonata whose tranny was replaced 3 times before I got rid of it.  Now they're saying Hyundai is one of the best built cars in that market.  Might be time to consider upgrading the Focus.
hyudai and kia are both korean....not jap vehicles...pretty much anything honda/accura, toyota/lexus, nissan/infinity, or even mazda and mitsubishi are representitive of some ofg the finest built production vehicles in the world..with stellar reliability.

(JINKSTER @ Mar. 03 2007,11:40) hyudai and kia are both korean....not jap vehicles...pretty much anything honda/accura, toyota/lexus, nissan/infinity, or even mazda and mitsubishi are representitive of some ofg the finest built production vehicles in the world..with stellar reliability.
Yep, Korean cars are coming up to the Jap standard.

Fortunately they haven't started making big trucks yet. That'll be scary. I don't see a V10 Hyundai in the future. If they did, they'd probably brand it "Godzilla".

06 and 07 dodge rams are having some bcm issues
guns.gif
and it causes me a lot of grief when Im doing remote starts also was told that blue tooth phones are causing error codes in the bcm as well

Toyota has made their way into big truck[straight trucks]they are called HINO.They use american built chassis,their own engine & cab.Only minnor issues so far[belt tensioners & power steer filters].Holding up great so far,time will tell.50,000 miles is all I've seen so far,truck is new too the road.

I had an 94 with the 4.7 with no problems. I traded for an 07 Hemi with auto transmission and I love it. Plenty of power and lots of torque. Just my2 cents.

Had my 05QC5.7 for well over a year now... zero issues.

no matter what people say...there are good and bad of every model...

opinions are rarely made based on actual personal experiences...usually just on the 2nd hand word of the morons we surround ourselves with.

there may BE better trucks in out there...but not for the same money.

(mountainmotor @ Mar. 03 2007,06:20) Hey guys . I have been living in a cave in terms of trucks and whats going on with them . Know a little about the new Silverado but it's a no go . Chevy packages me to death to get this n that and the work truck can be built to what I like but color options are like ....3 ?

Thinking about buying a new 2007 Ram 1500 std cab with the 4.7 V-8 , auto , air , windows ... nothing special , just a plain truck with a few creature comforts .

Reliability . Hows the auto-transmissions holding up ?

Electronics ---- any issues ?

Any other bugs inherent with these trucks ?

Would you buy again ?

This truck after 5k rebate is around 14k . Not bad it seems
absolutely no offense to anyone that owns a dodge on this board:

if your contemplating buying one, id feel bad if i didnt try to talk you out of it. they have THE WORST resale value of anything on the road. I swear ive had friends that bought them and as soon as they got on the road they lost 9000.00 in value. Not to mention WARRANTY NIGHTMARES. Go look at the new tundra thats coming out.... you may pay a little more but youll get a lot more truck for your money. The dodges resale value is mostly contributed to the fact that dodge gives their trucks away with rebates, free hemis, employee discounts and whatever else they can come up with. IM not saying ford and cheverolet dont do a few of the same things to boost sales but they do not go to the extent that dodge does. It seems like vehicle manufacturers got to a point a few years back where they were selling their vehicles for ridiculous prices. The ppublic seemed to get turned off to the idea of buying a new truck or car. When that happened those companies seem to have gone into CRISIS mode and started dropping the price of vehicles and giving discounts and incentives out the wazoo. Unfortunately they havent stopped and its killing resale value. If I were gonna buy a new vehicle today, id step to a 3/4 ton diesel, most likely an F-250 supercrew 4x4. with these it doesnt matter how many miles you put on them they tend to maintain their resale a little better than any of the half tons out there.
I bought a new truck in 06, a 1/2 ton supercrew 4x4 lariat. the only reason i traded out was because I had good equity in the truck I was in, accompanied by 0% financing for 12 months and they knocked off 10500.00 off the price of a 41000.00 sticker. I wound up financing 8500.00 on a new truck and im 1500.00 shy of no truck note.

good luck on whatever you buy.

the main reason they have such a bad value at the dealer...is that they keep offering the "employee pricing" or even lower ...just to keep the trucks moving. yes it kills the value...but it doesn't diminish the truck itself.

If I were to buy another..I would absolutely go for the Cummings motor.

My father has just over 200K on his 1999 2500 .... and when you change the oil...it's nearly as clean as it was going in.

99% of truck ownership is how well you treat it... it will show.

I agree with those last two posts. I put over 200k miles on my 94 Explorer. Never really had a major problem. Ran good when I sold it and bought my 05 F150 Lariat with the Triton and 4" lift. Love it. Runs like a champ. It all comes down to how you take care of your ride. Do you know how many Fords, Chevys, GMCs, Dodges, Internationals, etc there are out there that have hundreds of thousands of miles on them?
American trucks arent on one of the outer rings of a dartboard....they are the bullseye that the jap trucks are trying to hit.

I had two Ram 1500's in the past. Both had diff problems and one blew the torq converter.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY DODGE!

I'm very happy with my Titan. Pulls a 33' TT without a whimper.

Chris

My Ram 1500 has 165,000 with one transmission at 117,000. I love it and will never sell it. It is2wd with a 3" lift and 32" tires. I get 14 mpg still even with the lift/tires/miles and it's a longbed extended cab.

Get a nissan titan.My cousin bought it a couple yrs back for his business and i am amazed at the amount of abuse that thing can take.Why would you want to waste your money on the crappy american trucks anyway.Unreliable,overpriced and ugly too imo.

As far as trucks go I've owned 3 Dodge trucks a '94 '99 and '04 no problems whatsoever...
beerchug.gif

Back