DoD Civilians Furloughed

E Zurcher

Registered
I am a DoD Civilian and am waiting on the sequester. After months of uncertainty the plan for us is becoming clear. They are talking about furlough one day a week for the next 22 weeks starting April 21st through the end of the fiscal year. We will be expected to do five days of work during that four day workweek though. That is 22 days without Pay. This is on top of four years of pay freezes.

That works out to a hefty pay cut for me and I wouldn't mind so much if the rest of the Govt were doing the same but it just affects DoD civilians. That is my reward for managing my program in an outstanding manner as reflected in my last performance appraisal. You can bet the politicians on the hill will get their full pay while they balance the budget on our backs.

Fortunately I have managed to put some money away for a rainy day (Surplus) and am of a sufficient grade where I can weather the storm. I do feel for those at the lower grades who get paid far far less, have families and already live paycheck to paycheck.

This begs a few questions.

Is this fair for those who have served and continue to serve our Country?

Should politicians on the Hill take the same pay cut?

Do you feel our politicans have managed our Country in an outstanding manner?

What are you going to do about it come Election Day?

My girlfriend hasn't seen a pay increase in 7 years and works multiple hours in the store trying to keep everything in line without getting paid for it.

Is it fair? Nothing in life is fair, get over it.

Should Politicians take a pay cut? Would it matter if they did? Most Politicians make more money outside their formal position than in it, so even if they took a pay cut, they'd still make plenty.

Do I feel that our politicians have managed the country well? Nope, not for the last 30 years, give or take.

What am I going to do about it on Election day? Nothing, there's no real solution that is available via the voting booth. When both parties are working together against the common man, the voting booth wont really help you.

I think I'd be looking for a second job during that day off. Cut grass, Firewood, delivery pizza's, whatever.

Simple supply/demand. If you can find a better paying job elsewhere, do it. Congress needs to pass the "no budget, no congressional pay" bill. Put them on the spot too. Private companies have been doing the same for the last 4+years.

I haven't gotten a bonus (was guaranteed when I was hired) or a raise in 3 years. I'm making about 12% less now than I was 4 years ago. I didn't vote for him either.

Yep,

looking for a second right now. Like I said, I'm okay because I made some smart choices. There are many others who this will really hurt.

BTW after re-reading my post, it does sound like whining and that was not my intent. My point is to point out there are many people in Government jobs who work their asses off in the service of their country and will be hurt due to the ineffectiveness of our politicians.

If you look into the no budget, no pay you will see congress will not lose a dime in income. Their lost back pay will be restored in full once a budget is passed. Of course they voted for it and it's now on the President's desk for signature. Another example of smoke and mirrors.

Only solution is to "Throw the bums out!!!"

Unfortunately, NM is a Liberal state and my votes for President, house and senate didn't count at all and probably never will.

Great state to ride in though!

Yep,

looking for a second right now. Like I said, I'm okay because I made some smart choices. There are many others who this will really hurt.

BTW after re-reading my post, it does sound like whining and that was not my intent. My point is to point out there are many people in Government jobs who work their asses off in the service of their country and will be hurt due to the ineffectiveness of our politicians.

If you look into the no budget, no pay you will see congress will not lose a dime in income. Their lost back pay will be restored in full once a budget is passed. Of course they voted for it and it's now on the President's desk for signature. Another example of smoke and mirrors.

Only solution is to "Throw the bums out!!!"

Unfortunately, NM is a Liberal state and my votes for President, house and senate didn't count at all and probably never will.

Great state to ride in though!

The problem with throwing bums out is they get replaced with another bum. We have been on the wrong path since Wilson lived in the White House, I often say 60 years but it actually goes back farther than that.

Yeah but at least you break up their cronyism. Eventually maybe, just maybe they will get the message if they don't deliver they don't stay.

Term limits anyone?

This is not exactly something that was not predictable. Fact is that funds continue to be cut from the Federal budget and the first hit is to the people in the employ of it on DOD programs. Time to start transitioning to a civilian career not dependent on military programs.

Yeah but at least you break up their cronyism. Eventually maybe, just maybe they will get the message if they don't deliver they don't stay.

Term limits anyone?

We need to get rid of the full pay for life along with adding term limits.

Back