Doc's Turbo Saga

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Well, here is a run-down of my saga:

January 2003: Bought the turbo bike with just under 1000 miles on the clock. Checked it out with the builder and local experts, seems to be sweet deal. Bike has Hahn kit, MTC-2-stage lockup clutch, PCIIIr, extended arm, etc.

February 2003: After several overheating incidents, realize it has blown head gasket.

March 2003: Find out piston is also shot probably from coolant getting in... spend about $2000 total on pistons, gasket, studs, fan fix, etc.

April 2003: Get bike back just in time for Busa Vegas Run... bike dies at Drag Strip when IAP sensor line blows off. Barely make it back to shop... Boost gauge does not hold and installed at terrible to see location: decide to buy all electric gauges (boost, fuel pressure, and NOS pressure)=$650

May - June 2003: Get bike back, ride home from shop to find oil leaking all over... take bike back to shop... Few hundred spent during this time...

July 1st: Shop upgrades lines, finds it needs new fuel pump due to rig job of last owner... $800

YESTERDAY: Bike is hard to start and dies on the way home from work. I push to parking lot in 105 degree heat.

So far: nearly $17000 invested and only 800 miles of riding completed. So far this thing has been the mother of all nightmares!!!

However, I know it needs a dyno tune for around $300. No problem, EXCEPT, the only places I know of for turbo dyno tune are LA, Phoenix, Ohio, and Florida GRRRRRRRR!!!! Nothing in Vegas, PERIOD! So, I am hoping to schedule a dynotune in Phoenix ASAP since NLR does not seem interested in looking at it.

So, my $17000 bike returns to collecting dust until I can get it tuned.

This sucks....

The verdict (so far), be VERY careful if you buy a turbo and fully understand what it means to have one. Do you live near a turbo experienced dyno tuner? No, then good luck.

Man Shane sorry to hear about these problems. $800 is way to high for a fuel pump replacment, unless you have other things they have spotted. $280.00 will get you a top of the line T-Rex. Mount it in the rear right side under the plastic. Pump should only be a couple of hours of labor.

The $800 was much more than the fuel pump. The fuel pump was $165 plus some labor. I had a stage 2 boost control added, updated oil and turbo lines added, and some other items. Not too worried about the price since I trust my mechanic fully, just sux to have all these problems one after the other.

That sounds like an absolute nightmare Doc.......now I'm thinkin.....never go turbo.
Well, I think the moral of the story is the KNOW what to expect. I did not. You NEED a good mechanic. Even some of the best "home" mechanics have burned up turbos. Why, because the tuning is critical. My is not dialed in for the pistons, spacer plate, etc.

I am not going to argue with those that get 10s of thousands of carefree boost miles, that is AWESOME. I am just one (of the majority) who end up wrenching more than riding....

That is why I stand by my old statement, the turbo is a fun, but expensive, EXTRA bike to have. I WILL NOT part with my non-turbo since it DOES give me thousands of carefree miles...

I changed my signature to reflect the current state of affair.
ya , I noticed that Doc . Sounds like a giant shid sandwich,and your not even all that hungry .
Thx fer sharing/updating ... when I get a second or third busa,I'll consider turbo then . I'd love to have a poser,a tourer, and a turbo animal such as yers .

have a good 1 Doc.....RSD.

The $800 was much more than the fuel pump.  The fuel pump was $165 plus some labor.  I had a stage 2 boost control added, updated oil and turbo lines added, and some other items.  Not too worried about the price since I trust my mechanic fully, just sux to have all these problems one after the other.
Yes it does, you should not be having these kids of problems....

when I get a second or third busa,I'll consider turbo then .  I'd love to have a poser,a tourer, and a turbo animal such as yers .
Yep, RSD, that is the ticket. I just wish I had held off on the Turd-blow until I had extra $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, which is NOT the current situation. So, I pay credit card interest rate to have a "potentially fast" busa collecting dust...

Oh yeah, and don't forget that I am not paying insurance on TWO BUSAs!!! Big ouch!!!

when I get a second or third busa,I'll consider turbo then .  I'd love to have a poser,a tourer, and a turbo animal such as yers .
Yep, RSD, that is the ticket.  I just wish I had held off on the Turd-blow until I had extra $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, which is NOT the current situation.  So, I pay credit card interest rate to have a "potentially fast" busa collecting dust...

Oh yeah, and don't forget that I am not paying insurance on TWO BUSAs!!!  Big ouch!!!
I feel for ya man....almost makes ya feel like cuttin' yer losses,an' gettin the fug out . My ol' man always used to tell me...dont be throwin good money after bad .
Hope it works out Doc....now ...forget all this , an' go have a beer .
Rubber's orders....never mind the Doc's....
biggrin.gif

Doc =
drink.gif
RSD =
drink.gif

us in the mornin'
drooling3.gif
1zhelp.gif
coffee.gif

drink.gif

Doc I feel for you man . One of the guys here local just dumped about 17000 dollars into his turbo bike after he burnt it up bolting a small turbo to a stock motor. I talked to him the other day he said still not dailed in right on the money.

Yep, RSD, that is the ticket.  I just wish I had held off on the Turd-blow until I had extra $$$ burning a hole in my pocket, which is NOT the current situation.  So, I pay credit card interest rate to have a "potentially fast" busa collecting dust...

Oh yeah, and don't forget that I am not paying insurance on TWO BUSAs!!!  Big ouch!!!
I feel for ya man....almost makes ya feel like cuttin' yer losses,an' gettin the fug out . My ol' man always used to tell me...dont be throwin good money after bad .
   Hope it works out Doc....now ...forget all this , an' go have a beer .
                   Rubber's orders....never mind the Doc's....
biggrin.gif

Doc =  
drink.gif
   RSD =  
drink.gif

us in the mornin'  
drooling3.gif

1zhelp.gif

coffee.gif
No doubt Bud! That's funny, and TRUE!

drink.gif

Doc I feel for you man . One of the guys here local just dumped about 17000 dollars into his turbo bike after he burnt it up bolting a small turbo to a stock motor. I talked to him the other day he said still not dailed in right on the money.
Yeah, I am upside down on this thing. Hard to believe only 1800 miles on the clock! This is a new bike other than the T-bo... I am hoping that I am in AWE once it is dialed in. When I first bought the bike, it was an amazing experience when the boost hit, but certainly, not as amazing as the bills and pains in the butt that have come ever since... Fingers Crossed!

Been at Laguna Seca for the past week. As soon as time permits, I need to trailer to Phoenix for a dynotune. Hence my point regarding having a tuner near by. This stinks. Hopefully I can find some time. It is quite a drive from Vegas and I will almost certainly need a hotel for one night.

No experience NO TOUCH...

Biggest thing is making sure you are pumping 70lbs on mid and High 70-80's low end is OK for 45. Lots of arguments on this one. I would rather be to rich then not enough. I run 100lbs continue with the T-rex pump. Stock pump would burn out over 80. It will run well with rich at the top and 70-80lbs.

yes they do tune for the public that is why their are no tuning centers in Vegas besides H.D.

go in rich and lean as you go

Back