Doc Turbo Update

Doc_Busa

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I wanted to keep our Turbo section alive, so I thought i'de add an update.

I got my Turbo back just in time for the Vegas rally. It was running good, but not as strong as it did before I droped the dump pipe and compression. I ended up going to MTC turbo pistons with super strong wrist pins, APE studs, and cometic HP gasket... I also dumped the dump pipe and put the micron on. Was running pretty good... took it to the drag strip and it started to stumble a bit. I was not getting great times, but decent considering my crappy launches. However, on the third launch it puked near the finish line. I could hardly keep it running below 5k RPMs. Limped it back to the "pits" where Walted from ECS dyno had just finished his 9.4 sec. pass on a NON-TURBO (WOW)! He said the regulator was screwed up and dumping way to much fuel at low throttle. Basically the plugs were BBQ. I limped it back to the shop in Vegas where it still sleeps.

I made some decisions for the turbo's future. First, I am keeping both bikes. Now that I made that decision, I am going full-bore on the turbo. I new custom dump pipe is going on as well as a new extended swing arm. Once those are done, it is heading to Pheonix for a professional dyno tune and maybe water injection by ECS Dyno. Should be Bad-Asssz when it gets back...

So, what is new in YOUR turbo world?

Congrats!! on the decision, not the bad times.
I'm glad you decided to keep it. Surely, you wont be dissapointed.
biggrin.gif

Good Luck, when i get a turbo I will probly get the quick easy setup w/ water injection, at least Kevin makes it sound pretty easy, "just bolt-on" Sound like you have a lot of headaches with your turbo. best of luck, im sure when its perfectly tuned and you have water injection, it will all be worth it, and long forgotten. Post some pics I have only seen one of yours, maybe im just missing them.

Honestly guys, turbos are a pain in the aass! I would never own JUST a turbo bike since I like to ride. I know you will hear tons to the contrary, but here is some reality. Three turbo bikes came to the Vegas run. One burned a hole in a piston, one had the turbo lock up, and mine blew something in the fuel pressure regulator. In the shop where mine is resting, there is another turbo with melted pistons.

I know that Kevin, Motorhead, and MANY others will say a turbo can make a great dailly driver, but face the reality, the engine IS MORE STRESSED, regardless of water injection, intercooling, blah blah blah... If I wanted big boom on my daily driver, I would go Nitrous...

That said, having the turbo for tearing up local roads and the drag strip is a blast. I have faced the reality that it is a money pit, but it is fun. Even though I have only been able to ride a couple of times between shop visits. I owned it for about 3 months, but I have only had it at home for about 14 days... the rest of the time it has been at the shop...

Just my opinion...

ps. NE seems to be having good luck... what is your opinion NE?

Doc, what are you hearing/seeing with the big-bore, high hp normally aspirated bikes there?? I am very tempted to have mine built up to 210hp while out for shoulder surgery this fall... what are your thoughts?

First of all, I am NOT a professional mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. My gut reaction is that the big bore would be "easier" to maintain as long as you do not run the compression off scale... I guess the fact that we drive Busas shows our desire for more power...

I spoke to my mechanic today regarding NOS vs. Turbo, and he has done both. Seems NOS is not as simple as I had thought. The turbo takes some knowledge to know what to do and what not to do, and some "simple" things to check once in a while. Since I bought mine used, I never got that lesson, but I will be getting when my bike comes back. I hope that will help get me on track. Like I said, I am willing to play now that I will have both bikes, but I do not want to be forced to refinance my house to keep the turbo running. Once I have my lessons, I think the turbo world will be less daunting...

Chow

A local guy in B.C, has a salt flats runner, naturally aspirated with a big bore kit in it.
The sticker on the side says GSX1500R, I don't know if it is actually a 1500 or what but I do know that it makes close to 250hp and the mechanic at the shop says it's pretty reliable
too.
I think it averaged 242 mph on the salt, if memory serves.

Dry NOS is pretty simple and easy, for a stock motor you can buy the dry nos from schnitz, use 36 jet and run on stock motor without worrying. The 150hp Dry NOS kit that A&J sell can cost almost as much as a turbo with all the controllers and parts you have to buy extra to get the 150 hp. Wet NOS ends up costing alot, and requires alot of engine mods. After I found as much info i could find and ask as many questions that i could think of about NOS and Turbo, I decided its better to save up the money and buy a turbo, the power is always there (as long as you get the rpm high enough) and you never have to refill it. I have heard alot of horror stories with big bore kits, and i have heard good things, too. In the end, i came to the conclusion of buying a turbo w/ water injection, turbo pistons and stronger rods. $7000 for all that doesnt sound too bad a deal for 300+ hp and having one of the fastest motorcycles on the planet.

Dry NOS is pretty simple and easy, for a stock motor you can buy the dry nos from schnitz, use 36 jet and run on stock motor without worrying. The 150hp Dry NOS kit that A&J sell can cost almost as much as a turbo with all the controllers and parts you have to buy extra to get the 150 hp. Wet NOS ends up costing alot, and requires alot of engine mods. After I found as much info i could find and ask as many questions that i could think of about NOS and Turbo, I decided its better to save up the money and buy a turbo, the power is always there (as long as you get the rpm high enough) and you never have to refill it. I have heard alot of horror stories with big bore kits, and i have heard good things, too. In the end, i came to the conclusion of buying a turbo w/ water injection, turbo pistons and stronger rods. $7000 for all that doesnt sound too bad a deal for 300+ hp and having one of the fastest motorcycles on the planet.
Nice info here! What is the difference between a "dry" and "wet" NOS system?
rock.gif

Thanks

Dry NOS you mix in the air intake. Liquid you mix with the gas a lot more work and care needed.. Bigger shots with the gas. NO NO with a turbo unless you are a very experienced racer. Dry is not a good idea with the turbo either. Dry will get you a good 26hp or 40ho hit. you can blow right in to the air box or plenum.

I did a dry shot on a 'Busa turbo for a little "pick me up".  We used a 32 NOS jet for about 30HP shot.  We played around with the positioning of the Inlet Air Temp (IAT) sensor and the nitrous nozzle in the plenum attempting to obtain the correct distance from each other.  The IAT picks up the nitrous cooling of the the intake charge and adds fuel to compensate.  Obviously, like NE said, there are limitations to the amount of N2O that can be safely introduced "dry".  I would conclude it is a fun way to spend sevreal hundred dollars, but in the long run...turn up the boost!

1busanosandiatsensorcloseup.jpg

Nice setup hayaboosta! NOS+Turbo is quite an engine strain. Even Kevins project put a whole in the block, and a big one at that. Looked big enought to put a fist through

I have to admit, the Dry Shot was more show than go.  We didn't dyno it, but it does raise a few eyebrows when seen.  I had it wired to an "Oh sh*t" button, for those rare occaisions.

Back