Do you need a new wheel for 200 tires?

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
My first rear tire (OEM) lasted 5,000 miles. When I wanted to put on the monster 200 instead of a 190, the mechanics talked me out of it. I still want a 200, I know it makes corning more difficult and slower, but I'm not Rossi racing a GP bike. I've heard that it will change the balance (front/back) for example: on a bumpy freeway your front or rear feels like its loose or squirrelly. But is that something a non racer is even going to feel. Also I've heard that a 200 on the stock wheel would fold when your scraping pegs, any truth in that?
Anyone out there who put a 200 on stock wheel, then got a wider wheel with a 200 tire on it? Any difference between'em?

the tire that comes stock with the Bus is a 190. when fitted on the rim its a 197. To answer your question, you have been basically riding on a 200 all along there is no problems with them as far as I have heard. If you tend to corner hard, be carefull cause my rear slips some times (of course I got a 6" over arm) if your stock wheelbase then go for it.

I'm not worried that an stock 190 might fold when scraping pegs,
but putting a 200 non-stock could on a stock wheel.  I'm told you need a lager wheel to safely ride on a 200 tire.

You can safely go at least one size up or down without re-rimming on almost ANY wheel... and like Mr. Busa said, you're practically at 200 already...

from my understanding, gsxr750's and less have a 5.5" rear rim. the liter bikes and the busa have a 6" wide rim, which allows them to use a 200 rear tire, it'll work, but like they said, you'll lose flickabiliity and turn in.

I'm thinking about going to a 180/55

Mike

I went to the Michelin Pilot Hpx 200/50/17 at 2400 miles.
Changed over the rear myself, to prevent gouging of the rim.
No problems getting the old off or new one on.I used 3 tire spoons with plastic rim protectors, then I used my freinds balancer and off I went.
The tire is excellant over the stock Bridgestone's
You will just get a slightly smaller contact patch.

Timmyduck do you have a tire change setup at home, if so post a pic, where did you get it and how much? if not, where did you get the tire spoons and covers.

think about how you ride and buy the apprpriate tire. you just have to realize what you give up when you buy the 200

how come you get a smaller contact patch w/200?.....I'd thought you get a bigger one.

I've been running Michelin Pilot Sport HPX's 200/50/17 on my bike for the last 8000 miles, no problems. 200's work great unless your a really hardcore twisties guy.

Back