do you have to get a power commander when you add a full exhaust to a gen 2?

I put full akrapovic on with a few other bolt-ons. My tuner flashed the ECU and loaded a tune from a previous customer he had with similar mods onto it at that time. He preferred a custom dyno tune for it but I didn't have the money at the time.
It runs excellent. No power commander. I will take it back to him for dyno tune to load onto stock ECU.
I don't mess with tuning myself so I'm not spending the money on a power commander. The ECU can handle my preference just fine.
Hope that helps

You should get it tuned weather a full exhaust system, slip-ons, or even stock exhaust. The manufactures of the exhaust says "you don't have to" but the stock tune is so full of compromises for FED requirements etc that they can't even get a new bike to run well.
You won't fully understand that till you get it tuned and feel such amazingly smooth torque that these motors can make. :thumbsup:

You don’t need a power commander, ecu tuning is the way to go.

You’ve spent the money for a full exhaust, make sure you spend the money on a good dyno tune to get the most out of it.

Other things worth noting:

Slip ons don’t dont do much for power as the real restriction is the cat. They sure sound better, and get substantial weight savings.

If you run a power commander, base maps are usually garbage.

Call around and ask the tuners in your area what they can tune with. Try and go with the ecu tune. As that's a better option. Less wires and junk on the bike and less weight. I like the power commander as I have used to for years. But i have a gen 1 but i do have a turbo gen 2 that's tuned thru the ecu. I plan on getting into ecu stuff. When you tune the ecu you can do a lot of cool things. Your a b c mode can have different tunes. So you could have the bike dyno tuned on pump gas, race gas, and e85. Or have a nitrous tune on it. Just my opinion. Go ecu if you can find a good tuner in your area.

Back