Do you change your own tires?

Do you change your own tires? - Do you want to?

• 1.  Yes, the shop is a rip-off.

Votes: 173 100.0%
  • 2.  Yes, I want it done right.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3.  Both of the above.

• 4.  I would, but don't know how.

• 5.  I would, but don't have the tools.

• 6.  Both 4 and 5.

• 7.  Nope, I let the experts do it.

• 8.  No way, and you're nuts to try.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLCN72

Registered
I'm just curious about our tire changing habits. With all that power, we do seem to eat through rear tires at an alarming rate. So how do we as a group deal with that?

By tires at best price and keep them on the shelve until needed. Find a good shop to install. make sure they do not have a problem with other stores tire. it needs to be a shop where you spend money.

The guy who owns the shop that has done the work on my car for years rides a busa and his son races busas. So i'ld pay em the $30 to change out a set of tires. I'ld take em off the bike myself.

I don't have a bead breaker and the power changer at my dealer is so fast. I only have tar-arns, so its a little harder to do on the Busa than say a spoked dirt bike or classic Triumph wheel. I had the rear done by the dealer, but if I had more at home, I'd do it myself. I think I just figured out what the wife needs to get me for Christmas!!!!!!!

These tires are actually easier to change than a dirt bike tire! Use an eight inch "C" clamp to break the bead. My secret is Dawn liquid soap, rub generously on the bead/rim and she slips right off/on.

I get tire's online.
I pull the rims and take them to a Hog shop. He only charges me 10 a tire since I been there enough. The other dealers want 38 and up to 68 per rim. That is mounted and balanced. I send all biz I can his way.

These tires are actually easier to change than a dirt bike tire!  Use an eight inch "C" clamp to break the bead.  My secret is Dawn liquid soap, rub generously on the bead/rim and she slips right off/on.
Gawd, if it's that easy . . . .

How do you install the new tire? Same way? C-clamp?

--Wag--

(I know, old post, just checking!)

I go through a set every two rides & go through a lot of tires so other day I took them to the local shop instead of normal Cycle Gear. Off the bike, the out the door cost was $86 to get them swapped out. Felt like an idiot really cuz I never asked what they charged, and nearly $90 is ridiculous. Almost went and bought a tire changing machine right then an there, was so riled about that. Back to Cycle Gear with another new set of 014's next week- they charge about $40. smile.gif

I used to change my own over 10 yrs ago back in college days, pretty poor back then. And yes, I used a c-clamp and board to break bead. laugh.gif laugh.gif Tire irons to get new ones one, then Cycle Gear charge $5 per to balance. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Sounds like I just need a balancer. Already have the C-clamp. Look out, tires. Next one's on me!

--Wag--

I go through a set every two rides & go through a lot of tires so other day I took them to the local shop instead of normal Cycle Gear.  Off the bike, the out the door cost was $86 to get them swapped out.  Felt like an idiot really cuz I never asked what they charged, and nearly $90 is ridiculous.  Almost went and bought a tire changing machine right then an there, was so riled about that. Back to Cycle Gear with another new set of 014's next week- they charge about $40.  smile.gif

I used to change my own over 10 yrs ago back in college days, pretty poor back then.  And yes, I used a c-clamp and board to break bead. laugh.gif laugh.gif  Tire irons to get new ones one, then Cycle Gear charge $5 per to balance. biggrin.gif
Hey Pashnit,
You turned me on to alot of sites/info for my baby and your site kicks AZZ. Thanks for all you do. I especially like the video footage you have. I love the way your HMF sounds.
I was in LA last summer, went to Malibu via sunset. Saw one one the roads you speak of(topanga canyon?) I was wondering at the time how the hell you got on that road.

I took my rear off the bike and into the local shop for a change and balance. I think it was like $20, I can't remember.
Anyhow they put some small scratches on my rim and bubble balance. No biggie, i plan on getting chrome rims. Scratch them now we have a problem, bubble no big deal either. I am sure i could break the bead. Not sure about dismounting and mounting with tire iron without scratching. Any tips anyone.

Notice i am from KY, no offense to the member from prestonsburg, KY, but tar-arn. WTF. I can't spell either but that is FUNNY! laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Busa05_KY
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152834388 -->

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Look in the mail order mags for a rim saver, a piece of plastic that goes under the tire iron. They also sell small bead breakers that I've had good luck with. I have some aluminum tire irons that I got from someone years ago. They might be home made. It shouldnt be hard to make a set.

If you can afford a No Mar Tire Changer, you might want to get one. I bought one last fall and have already done 5 sets of tires on it. It doesn't chew up the rims, it doesn't take long to learn (the first tire I did was the rear tire on my 'busa), and their customer support has been great. I can now change a set of tires in about 2 hours from the time I roll the bike onto the hoist until I drop the hoist again. The nearest shop to me is over an hour away, so I save a lot of time when I do my own changes. The cost to change two tires used to run me about $50 at a shop and then about $10 in gas to run the rims back and forth. I figure it will take 15 sets of tires to make the machine pay for itself. So, in less than two years the machine will have earned its keep, sooner if I do work for my friends... well, at least they bring the beer!
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back