Do you carry

monsterspeedfreak

Donating Member
Registered
How many people on the board carry on a regular basis?
I read in a few threads now that some of you are packin all the time.
Is there really a need in the States........is the possibility of gettin into trouble really that great?
Share yer thoughts.......I'm sure we'd all like to know!!!

all the time.  pulled it out twice.  never fired it in self defense.  no doubt that it saved several arses both times.  cops agreed as well, and so i still get to carry. i guess its kinda like a security blanket, just like a little kid carries.  you know, knowing that its there if i need it.  makes me feel better anyways.  besides, i'd never get any chicks carrying around a dirty old superman blanket all the time....
jump9.gif

Hey Lumpy......fancy meetin you here........now I'm the pig.........yer in my pen.......and yer about to get dirty........real dirty.

HEHEHEHE

tounge.gif

Joking aside.......you gotta be kiddin me.......where the hell are you from dude?
Sounds like a crappy place to live..........make sure yer careful.....there's always a bigger dude with a bigger gun, a quicker draw........and a shakier finger!!!!

all the time.  pulled it out twice.  never fired it in self defense.  no doubt that it saved several arses both times.  cops agreed as well, and so i still get to carry. i guess its kinda like a security blanket, just like a little kid carries.  you know, knowing that its there if i need it.  makes me feel better anyways.  besides, i'd never get any chicks carrying around a dirty old superman blanket all the time....
jump9.gif
Alrighty, then
umnik.gif

I dig guns. I have no issue with guns of most description, and think concealed carry is generally a good thing -- wish we had it in MD, btw.

But, I hate to say it, pal, a gun is not jewelry. It's a tool, used to kill people and animals. If I pack, I'm ready to slay in self defense or the defense of other, innocent life. Not wound, scare, or impress for even one second. Kill -- that weapon is one of the last things a dangerous aggressor will ever see.

On a bike, if I am threatened by a numbskull driver, the way out is speed and riding skills -- my bike can humiliate anything on four wheels that such a moron could afford. If I had a gun with me, I couldn't even go for it effectively -- I'm right handed, after all, and how could I control my bike in that case?

IF I got a shot off under those conditions, I wouldn't hit anything I wanted to. If the confrontation ended with the law showing up, I would go to jail, without a doubt, for breaking laws I can't even come up with right now, and I'd get to hang out behind bars with the driver's idiot buddies.

That's not a good solution to a pretty easy to understand problem.

And following this along a bit, if somebody acosted me while moving, could I stop and reach for a weapon? If somebody's trying to smack me with a two ton SUV, if I stop or pull over they'll either run me down or just keep on truckin' -- out of safe range and out of mind. If I chase them, then I'm taking the battle on the road, and I'm in reeeeaaal trouble at the end of the day.

Nope, packing heat on a bike is simply not practical in an (sub)urban environment. Bad move.

you sure got a pretty mouth.  (tee hee hee)  (banjo playing in the background)

no man, not a crappy place to live, just got into a couple of situations that i got squeezed into.  

situation 1

went to a movie with the wife.  bar next door. live band playing.  due to new movie release and live band, parking lot was really full. parked all the way across the lot from the movies, out on the edge of the bar parking lot.  movie over (late show) walking back to car about 1:30 am.  meet good friend in parking lot.  REALLY DRUNK.  needs ride home.  problem is, he's wiwth some mutual friends, they want to stay, and are inside.  me and him go in to tell them i am taking him home (so they dont spend 6 hours trying to find him later) on the way out we run into some guys that he knows (but this time it is a bad kinda know, sleepin with one of ems ex or sumthin like that, you know the story, way too much testosterone) we just tell them to have a good evening, i herd him out the door, and we go. they follow, making big scene, trying to fight.  we get to car, trying to get him in so we can leave.  they pull up, block my car in, and start yelling and pushing him and me (all the while i am trying to get is drunk ass in the car, wife is in the back seat on phone with cops, scared shitless) there are about 5 of them by this point, and one of them pulls out this friggin crocodile dundee knife, and starts trying to stab my buddy. my mental alarms are going off, butt puckers, and i pull it out (my 40 cal glock that is)  they about poop their britches, jump in car and haul some serious butt outta there. so fast in fact that they almost tbone a cop responding to my wifes phone call.  all of them are drunk, i'm stone cold sober, they all get pi, dwi, etc, go to jail. me and my buddy, we get to make a statement and go home and sleep in bed.

situation 2
long story short, woman i know tells me she is moving but hubby out of town on business, asks if i can help (promises steak and beer at later date).  you bet i say.  show up sat morning, several mutual friends there, we start packing stuff in the trailer.  about 10 am, man shows up (dont know him, but it turns out it is hubby) well, she didnt tell me she was moving out/leaving him and filing for divorce.  forgot to tell him as well.  he flipped, grabbed a bat and hit one of the other guys there.  in the head, neck and chest.  repeatedly... again, warning lights in my head, pulled it out, and calmly asked him to compose himself and go outside for a few.  called 911 for cops and ambulance, he went outside, cops showed up, hauled him to jail (kinda felt bad for the guy) and buddy goes to hospital.  few stitches and a night in the hospital later, he is fine.

i could have avoided both situations in retrospect 1 by asking the bouncer/cop at the door to walk us to our car after being confronted, and 2 by asking a few more questions.  still carry nonetheless, because both of these situations could have resulted in a murder had i not had it with me. sorry for the long post must have been tedious to read
smileyexhibit.gif

uh oh, i smell bacon
biggrin.gif
Any time that weapon is exposed and chambered/cocked, it can go off. Any time it can go off, it can kill somebody, even if it's pointed at the ground, sky, whatever. If that's the case then you might as well mean for bad things to happen when they do.

And on top of that, you pull a firearm and the focus of your attention DOESN'T do what you want, what then? Ask them to stop whatever they're doing that you don't like AGAIN? Are you going to put the gun away, if they don't?

What if they stop being a direct threat but don't go anywhere and just glare at you?

No, you have to shoot. Once the gun's in play, the choices get few and straightforward. You got lucky, both times, and you know it -- you should have used your head. Cops will tell you this and, more significantly, people who train cops will tell you this.

That's one of the more subtle reasons concealed carry is such a tricky issue -- it's one of those "government protecting us from ourselves" things. Once a gun is in somebody's hand, everything gets simple and mortal. Most people don't have the brains or the balls for that.

you sure got a pretty mouth.  (tee hee hee)  (banjo playing in the background)

no man, not a crappy place to live, just got into a couple of situations that i got squeezed into.  

situation 1

went to a movie with the wife.  bar next door. live band playing.  due to new movie release and live band, parking lot was really full. parked all the way across the lot from the movies, out on the edge of the bar parking lot.  movie over (late show) walking back to car about 1:30 am.  meet good friend in parking lot.  REALLY DRUNK.  needs ride home.  problem is, he's wiwth some mutual friends, they want to stay, and are inside.  me and him go in to tell them i am taking him home (so they dont spend 6 hours trying to find him later) on the way out we run into some guys that he knows (but this time it is a bad kinda know, sleepin with one of ems ex or sumthin like that, you know the story, way too much testosterone) we just tell them to have a good evening, i herd him out the door, and we go. they follow, making big scene, trying to fight.  we get to car, trying to get him in so we can leave.  they pull up, block my car in, and start yelling and pushing him and me (all the while i am trying to get is drunk ass in the car, wife is in the back seat on phone with cops, scared shitless) there are about 5 of them by this point, and one of them pulls out this friggin crocodile dundee knife, and starts trying to stab my buddy. my mental alarms are going off, butt puckers, and i pull it out (my 40 cal glock that is)  they about poop their britches, jump in car and haul some serious butt outta there. so fast in fact that they almost tbone a cop responding to my wifes phone call.  all of them are drunk, i'm stone cold sober, they all get pi, dwi, etc, go to jail. me and my buddy, we get to make a statement and go home and sleep in bed.

situation 2
long story short, woman i know tells me she is moving but hubby out of town on business, asks if i can help (promises steak and beer at later date).  you bet i say.  show up sat morning, several mutual friends there, we start packing stuff in the trailer.  about 10 am, man shows up (dont know him, but it turns out it is hubby) well, she didnt tell me she was moving out/leaving him and filing for divorce.  forgot to tell him as well.  he flipped, grabbed a bat and hit one of the other guys there.  in the head, neck and chest.  repeatedly... again, warning lights in my head, pulled it out, and calmly asked him to compose himself and go outside for a few.  called 911 for cops and ambulance, he went outside, cops showed up, hauled him to jail (kinda felt bad for the guy) and buddy goes to hospital.  few stitches and a night in the hospital later, he is fine.

i could have avoided both situations in retrospect 1 by asking the bouncer/cop at the door to walk us to our car after being confronted, and 2 by asking a few more questions.  still carry nonetheless, because both of these situations could have resulted in a murder had i not had it with me. sorry for the long post must have been tedious to read
smileyexhibit.gif
$hi! Lumpman......don't know what to say to this.......not quite sure what I'd do in these situations........wouldn't know till I'd been there I suppose.
My only thought would be to try and talk my way out of it.......if I had no weapon.........but talkin doesn't always work with blind drunk people........don't usually have enough sense to think thier thoughts through hey.
The guy with the bat though.......I think I woulda all but killed him in a second flat without a weapon.
Couldn't you have clobbered him when he was hittin the other guy with a bat.......but then....I wasn't there....don't know the scenerio.
I have been in quite a few bad situations.......mostly stags.......talked our way outta all problems but two.
Two of our guys ended up in hospital in one, and in the other a guy got hit in the back by an axe before we even noticed it was being swung........that dude spent a few nights in hospital......the guy swinging I mean.....we didn't take kindly to him cuttin up our buddy with an axe.......lucky it wasn't worse though.

I wonder if I woulda pulled if I had been packing.....can't say for sure.

rock.gif

... but talkin doesn't always work with blind drunk people........don't usually have enough sense to think thier thoughts through hey. ...
This is somewhat about situation awareness -- similar to riding.

E.g., Can you avoid panic braking by looking 12 seconds ahead when you can and slowing down when you can't? You bet. Riding a motorcycle is full of this stuff. No reason the rest of our lives shouldn't be, as well.

- - - - -

Note, that if somebody is a mortal threat and potentially out of their wits, then they're better off dead than held at gunpoint. Once you "capture," somebody, of course you have to hang on to them until help arrives, which could be a while.

(...And then, there's THEIR side of the story the cops have to sort through, but that's another issue...)

In the mean time, they know all your capabilities (you have a gun, they can see that), and if they are especially cranky or anxious to escape justice they will be working you over any way they can -- by moving around, talking, whatever.

What are you gonna do if they're just being annoying like that while you're waiting for the cops? Shoot them? Oh, ok...Plus, they may be armed somehow and you won't know it -- they just haven't had a chance to reach their weapon yet.

And what're you going to do about that, Mr. civilian, search them? That means getting within reach (with a weapon drawn and occupying one of your hands) of somebody who now wants you dead probably more than they did before, and obviously more than you want them dead.

Very tricky. Worth skipping.

You see, the only thing I know about dangerous criminals for sure is that I don't know how they think because I'm not one of them. I don't know how they look, what cars they drive, what they like to eat, etc.

All I know is when I feel like my life is in danger the best way out is to remove myself or the threat from the situtation. Compromise isn't desireable because I have no reason to believe that the bad guy just wants to chill out and wait to be taken off to jail.

In summary: Threatening people with firearms actually is a form of faith in a spurious social contract -- i.e., that you can build an understanding with a dangerous person through a mutual display of hardware and nerve, such that real violence is avoided.

That's just crap, however, because you never, ever know if you're dealing with someone who will buy that sort of thing, no matter what they look like or say.

All I know is when I feel like my life is in danger the best way out is to remove myself or the threat from the situtation. Compromise isn't desireable because I have no reason to believe that the bad guy just wants to chill out and wait to be taken off to jail.
So......if for whatever reason you cannot remove yourself from the threat........how do you remove the threat?

So......if for whatever reason you cannot remove yourself from the threat........how do you remove the threat?
Step 1: Avoid as many threats as possible -- Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute (just like riding).

Step 2 (assuming step 1 doesn't do the trick): If you can't use telekenesis to push 'em off a bridge and can't render them harmless with your Kung Fu, shoot to kill. If I'm on a bike, the latter isn't a decent option -- I gotta twist a wrist and get outa there no matter what.

...So, I guess I just boiled three or four of my posts down to two paragraphs. Hmm...
biggrin.gif

NOW I'm going to bed. G'night!

$hi! Lumpman......don't know what to say to this.......not quite sure what I'd do in these situations........wouldn't know till I'd been there I suppose.
My only thought would be to try and talk my way out of it.......if I had no weapon.........but talkin doesn't always work with blind drunk people........don't usually have enough sense to think thier thoughts through hey.
The guy with the bat though.......I think I woulda all but killed him in a second flat without a weapon.
Couldn't you have clobbered him when he was hittin the other guy with a bat.......but then....I wasn't there....don't know the scenerio.
i have been in quite a few bad situations.......mostly stags.......talked our way outta all problems but two.
Two of our guys ended up in hospital in one, and in the other a guy got hit in the back by an axe before we even noticed it was being swung........that dude spent a few nights in hospital......the guy swinging I mean.....we didn't take kindly to him cuttin up our buddy with an axe.......lucky it wasn't worse though.

I wonder if I woulda pulled if I had been packing.....can't say for sure.
its hard to say if things would have been different if i hadnt been carrying. i know for sure the one in the parking lot would have, but the guy with the bat?? maybe he woulda stopped after e few swings anyways?? dont think so, he had this look,.like he had just eaten a pringle. you know, the "cant just have one " look. and as far as clobbering him, he wasnt a smurf, and you ever try to get close to a guy swinging a bat around?? no thanks... as far as the guy that got hit in the back with an axe, he was DAMN lucky. coulda killed him, maimed him, or left him paralyzed at the very least. really lucky. but i guess had you been working on your "situational awareness" as some would have us believe is going to bring about world peace, then perhaps you wouldnt have been in those terrible awful situations with those nice friendly thugs.
baaa.gif

anyways, you be careful up there, there are crazy, mentally unstable types all over the world.peace and monkey grease

When I lived in Louisiana I did carry a concealed gun in my car.  In that state, your car is an extension of your home so its legal.  I also had a conceal permit so I could keep the gun out of sight when transporting it to and out of the car.  No one except my best friend at the time knew I even owned a gun.  A gun isn't something to gloat about at the mall or in a bar, it is a weapon for self-defense and if you tell anyone you have one you've just lost your advantage(not talking about hunting, target, or show guns).  I never pulled my gun on anyone ever.  The only time I would have ever pulled it out(or even let someone know I had one) was when I feared for my life, and then I would not just pull it out, but I would be shooting in defense to escape the situation.  I believe, and this is just me, that you only escilate a situation by threatening an attacker with a gun.  Not shooting gives them time to kill you.  If I can't run away, then I'll shoot to kill(only in fear of my life).
       Now that I'm living in L.A., it isn't legal to carry a loaded gun in your car, so I don't.  I have to admitt, I would definately carry a gun in the car if it was legal.  You never know when you'll need it and you only get to die once.  For something as important as my life and my family's, I wish it was legal to carry a gun in your car here in L.A.
      For those who ask is it necessary, it only takes an instant to be killed or have your loved ones killed.  No matter how much safer today is from 200 years ago, people are still murdered and terrorism is still a threat.  I definately want the oppurtunity to protect myself and loved ones instead of just dying! Just standing there unable to protect myself or the ones I love as the unthinkable happens is not acceptable.

I have my CCL and I do carry. Have not had to pull the gun out but I have lifted the shirt to a few guys that were tryin to sneak up from behind me one night while at a car wash, when they seen the handle they turned around very quickly and left, so did I. You cannot think these days that you might just knuckle up for a few minutes, 9 times out of 10 the persons out to cause harm are carrying too, either knifes or guns. And yes if they would not have left the gun would have been drawn, if that did not defer their attempts shots would have been fired.. If I do know for sure that there is not a weapon involved by the other person/s I am not afraid of tryin to talk it out or fight it out, but like I said that is very rare these days...just my .02

The answer my friend is gun control.

i.e. the accurate and rapid placing of rounds through the *threats* vital area's.

Also someone asked how you shoot from a moving bike.

The answer is leftie gun control.
i.e. see above & add with one's off hand. That's why you have 2 of them after all.

mcoyote has a point tho... You shouldn't pull it if ya ain't willing to use it.

Lumpy never had to go that far, and just 'cause you're willing doesn't mean ya have too or will.

The answer my friend is gun control.

i.e. the accurate and rapid placing of rounds through the *threats* vital area's.

Also someone asked how you shoot from a moving bike.

The answer is leftie gun control.
i.e. see above & add with one's off hand. That's why you have 2 of them after all.

mcoyote has a point tho... You shouldn't pull it if ya ain't willing to use it.

Lumpy never had to go that far, and just 'cause you're willing doesn't mean ya have too or will.
Raider.......no offence, but........are you a little unstable?
rock.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

beerchug.gif

tounge.gif

I have been shooting competition matches since I was 6. Learning how to shoot effectively with your left hand is not as hard as most people think it is. It is actually easier than learning to shoot accurately while moving. Carrying concealed is a measure of security. I normally don't carry mine unless I am on a long trip somewhere that I don't know the area.

Twisting the throttle and escaping / evading is an equally viable course of action allthough there are times when it might not be the best option ( low on gas, dark unfamiliar roads, etc...) so you need something more. Ultimately the decision is yours and you do have to realize that what ever you choose, the consequences are yours as well.

Back