Do You Believe in KARMA ????

Nah... dont believe in it at all. Just seen too many a$$h8l#s get away with sh!t their entire lives and come out the other side sippin' a Heineken and grinnin' the whole time to believe that its gonna catch up to them.
On the flip side, WAY too many really great people suffer horrible sh!t for no apparent reason for me to believe that they did something to deserve what they're getting.
I think what happens, happens. You're either in the right place at the right time, or in the wrong place/wrong time, and its all purely coincidence.
The only thing I've ever seen "go around/come around" is my tire valve stem.

(At least I hope so, knock on wood... where's my lucky rabbits foot when I need it, dammit?? Are you listening up there?? I didnt mean ANYTHING I wrote in this post, I swear!!)
:please: / :laugh:

Last edited:
Yes, but not really in the metaphysical sense. If you do good things and live a good life, you will have the tools (strength, attitude, friends and family) to handle anything that comes your way.

On the other hand, if you're an a$$hat to people, when something bad happens - which it always does - that trophy wife will leave as soon as the plastic surgery fund dries up, or the Ken-Doll husband will be boffing your "best" friend. Basically, you'll surround yourself with shallow, self-serving people like yourself and your support system will be gone.

By being a good person, I'm not going win the lottery and have that big house on the hill. But Dan and I will have good kids who will lead good lives and be there for us when we get old, freinds who will stand by us no matter what, employers and coworkers who respect us and most of all, we'll have each other.

Nothing keeps bad things from happening, but it's your inner strength and the support you have around you that gets you through.

Last edited:
LMAO at fillmore!

I think people mostly get what's coming to them, eventually if for no other reason, than mere cause and effect, consequence of action or thought. We don't always see them getting what WE think they deserve so there appear to be exceptions but I do have a general belief that we mostly attract like-hearted things to ourselves. The "bad" guy sipping the Heine mentioned above may not have the sheer happiness that comes from satisfying relationships, etc. He may not completely realize it, however, and if he has the trappings of wealth and power, other people may see him as "successful" when in fact, he's fairly miserable. We just don't see his private moments.

As for those who are good people who have bad things happen to them, the opposite is also quite likely very true. We don't see the kinds of things in their minds and hearts which could have brought about their troubles. Nor do we always know their past actions and thoughts. It could be that part of the reason they are good people is because of their troubles and they have turned their attitudes around and become a different person in some way, deep inside which we cannot see.

Do I believe that Karma is an incontrovertible law? Hardly. Sometimes, things really do happen that seem undeserved. I don't believe for a moment that we can control the evil (or the good) that other people foist upon us. If someone decides at random to burn down my house, there's not a whole lot I can do about and I certainly didn't do something to cause that person to choose that action against me. It's the same way I didn't do something which caused that tornado to spin down on top of my neighborhood and wipe it out. Those kinds of things really do happen at random and are not related to our own actions.

Just some thoughts.

--Wag--

Well, I do believe that what goes around comes around. Karma in a cosmic sense, no.

So, what came around and bit you?

I do belive doing a good deed will be rewarded. Call it what you want, Kharma etc. It has me in the past.

I sure wish BAD KHARMA would strike my BOSS.

I do belive doing a good deed will be rewarded. Call it what you want, Kharma etc. It has me in the past.

I sure wish BAD KHARMA would strike my BOSS.

Sorry, I'm more of a "No good deed goes unpunished" sort of guy. But there are several people I could wish bad kharma on.:laugh:

Ummm....errrr......uhhhh......."NO". Good things happen to good people as well as bad. Bad things happen to good people as well as bad....but I do know that "Pay-back is a B!TCH !!!!".... :oldcool:

Yes, but not really in the metaphysical sense. If you do good things and live a good life, you will have the tools (strength, attitude, friends and family) to handle anything that comes your way.

On the other hand, if you're an a$$hat to people, when something bad happens - which it always does - that trophy wife will leave as soon as the plastic surgery fund dries up, or the Ken-Doll husband will be boffing your "best" friend. Basically, you'll surround yourself with shallow, self-serving people like yourself and your support system will be gone.

By being a good person, I'm not going win the lottery and have that big house on the hill. But Dan and I will have good kids who will lead good lives and be there for us when we get old, freinds who will stand by us no matter what, employers and coworkers who respect us and most of all, we'll have each other.

Nothing keeps bad things from happening, but it's your inner strength and the support you have around you that gets you through.
A very insightful and true sentiment, HRHDi. I agree with about 95% of it. The only part that throws up a flag for me is where you said:
"Dan and I will have good kids who will lead good lives and be there for us when we get old, freinds who will stand by us no matter what, employers and coworkers who respect us and most of all, we'll have each other.".
I sincerely hope right along with you that you are correct in this (and well you may be!!) but it is something out of your control, and in that, trusting that this will be your future can be a set up for disappointment, or worse. Please understand, Im sincerely not trying to be negative or challenging here... Im basing it on first hand experience that I've had.
For me, in my life, for the things I've been through, REAL "trust" is a "GITNIP"... "Good In Theory, Not In Practice". (Learned that one from a psychotherapist friend of mine!!)
See, everyone wants desperately to trust others, and if we could really trust others 100% (or even 60%), the world surely would be a better place, but in doing that, we are putting some, or all of our "emotional eggs" in someone elses basket, and one thing I've learned for sure in life is that anyone can hurt anyone at anytime, and being able to not only accept that, but thrive in spite of it has made me a stronger person.

Example: My wife knows that she has the ability to hurt me on a lot of different levels. I make no secret that I dont want her to do that because I love her, and have a lot of emotional investment in our relationship... However, IMO, Im better prepared for something unexpected to come down the pike BECAUSE I know that she can hurt me (even unintentionally), and Im not gonna be quite as blindsided by it as I would be if I completely "trusted" that such a thing would never occur.

Again, this may well only apply to me, but I DO speak from a very personal, excruciatingly painful experience, and my experiences dictate that adopting this philosophy has been necessary for my sustained recovery from that experience.

I absolutely DO follow what you said in your post, in leading a decent, clean life, but thats for me, given freely to both intimate and aquaintance relationships, and it certainly does improve my feelings about myself and others as I move throughout the world. And knowing that things may not conform to what I want them to be, and being prepared for the unexpected to happen (because it will) makes my spirit and mind stronger.
Again, maybe only valid for me, but the thing I DO trust in the world is myself.

Sorry if this was a bit of a thread hijack, but IMO, the ideas of "Karma", and "personal lifestyle ideals" are 2 different things and though leading a decent life certainly DOES bring good things to our tables, the literal idea of "Karma" leading a person to believe that some sort of higher power is gonna bring good or bad things to a person depending on how they run their life just doesnt apply to me, but certainly everyone is entitled to believe in what helps them through life... its what makes us all students, teachers, individual and interesting!!
:thumbsup: / :beerchug:

Last edited:
Not karma, per se. I do, however, believe that God rights the wrongs for us. People have put many names to this, I just call it God takin' care of business. :thumbsup:

I believe that through Karma or whatever else you want to believe (heaven, hell, etc) makes sure eventually everyone gets EXACTLY what they deserve.

I think Wag has it very well stated in his post.

Although you will hear me saying "Karma's a Beotch" at times. :) :)

I agree with this definition, :thumbsup: for this life.
I don't know about the label "karma"
That is a broad term used in many ways.
I would like to make a new term that avoids all the old baggage definitions of "karma" regarding re-incarnation and such, a new term that would apply to "get what you give" or "reap what you sow" in this life.
Any out there?

Back