Do we all need better fans?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
I plan to ride from sea level to 10,000' throughout the summer months and after reading so many posts about changing out the fan to a Muzzy I gotta ask, did Suzy screw up and we all have poor performing fans or what?  I've only had my LE since February 4th so the fan has never come on as far as I know.  I'm heading out June 16th for a couple weeks and I'll need anti freeze as well as proper cooling, riding year round at all elevations so should I get a Muzzy?  Any other brands? I should mention also that I will switch to Amsoil synth before the trip. It sure helps my CBXs run cooler.

<!--EDIT|CBXRider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145757651 -->

My_New_LE.jpg

not when you breakin period...synth is for later, and the fan and the engine ice? I'm going to do it because, I almost hit the red line once, while it was brand new got it last aug...(got mine from outa state...was about 300 mi) riding back home got stuck in traffic...thats when that happened...so I'm trying not to do that anymore...if you riding thru traffic sometimes in summer? better do some about it...

Some people are plagued and some are not. I personally think it has more to do with air bubble sin the lines from improper filling. I have engine Ice and a muzzy fan on mine because i hit the red line in traffic @ Daytona. After swapping out the fluid and fan I've had no issues since. I can't say for sure that the swapout is the perfect cure as i noticed I put more in than i took out ( I saved the drained fluid and poured it into the engine Ice container to see if there was a difference. There was quite a difference!). that tells me air was taking up space. On the other hand the Engine Ice is $30 and the muzzy fan is $25. $55 for Insurance on a $4000 engine seems like a no brainer to me! NOW Please know that Engine ice will NOT make your temp be lower. It may actually increase the temp gauge's position. it is supposed to. The purpose of coolant is to wick heat from the engine and absorb it into the coolant mixture. Engine ice is designed to do this faster and more effeciently. The muzzy fan is there to cool that fluid down faster than the stock fan by better blade design and number of fins. You may see a slight increase in indicated temp but don't worry. The Engine is actually running cooler. just my .02

If there's nothing wrong with the cooling system the bike simply won't overheat. Many posts about overheating are by people who just bought the bike and it either overheated on the way home or within a few days afterward. Nothing more than the dillholes at the dealership not burping the system after putting in the coolant.

I've sat for hours in front of a massive semi accident in 100+ heat inching along and the fan never even had to run for an extended length of time in order to keep the temp. gauge needle centered.
You've also got people on here who live in places like southern TX and AZ and claim to have never had an overheating problem. Suzuki did a fine job on the cooling system.

the reason people need the aluminum muzzy fan is because aftermarket headers get extremely hotter than the stock ones. i believe the black coating on the stock ones keeps em cooler. so with the extra heat from the aftermarket exhaust coupled with the bike running and going nowhere (traffic), it melts the plastic stock fan. if your exhaust is stock then you dont need to worry. also the fan should come on right above the red halfway mark on the temp guage.

I and several other org members took a ride in Iowa last year and it was 100 degrees out. We ran several hundred miles with no overheating problems on any of our bikes. fstbusa had a vapor lock on the turbo busa, but he ran a little cool water on the fuel pump and off he went. He did look funny walking around with his leathers around his ankles! Ever finish business in the bathroom only to discover you were out paper products and wen't searching for some, you get the picture! LOL

jump9.gif

<!--EDIT|GSXcite
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145766564 -->

If there's nothing wrong with the cooling system the bike simply won't overheat.  Many posts about overheating are by people who just bought the bike and it either overheated on the way home or within a few days afterward.  Nothing more than the dillholes at the dealership not burping the system after putting in the coolant.

I've sat for hours in front of a massive semi accident in 100+ heat inching along and the fan never even had to run for an extended length of time in order to keep the temp. gauge needle centered.
You've also got people on here who live in places like southern TX and AZ and claim to have never had an overheating problem.  Suzuki did a fine job on the cooling system.
+1
idea.gif
I agree 100%

If there's nothing wrong with the cooling system the bike simply won't overheat.  Many posts about overheating are by people who just bought the bike and it either overheated on the way home or within a few days afterward.  Nothing more than the dillholes at the dealership not burping the system after putting in the coolant.

You've also got people on here who live in places like southern TX and AZ and claim to have never had an overheating problem.  Suzuki did a fine job on the cooling system.
+1  
idea.gif
 I agree 100%
+2
The few times I have been stuck in summer traffic my stock fan aways kicked on when temp needle reached middle of gauge, never has gone beyond that point.

I've seen several posts (including mine) where the fan doesn't kick on the first time until after the thing gets near the red line (red light doesn't come on--if so, stop and turn off bike). Seems like the fan sticks for some reason (maybe the dealership should first activate the thing to get it moving?); afterwards, no problems with stock system, even in traffic.

for 32 bucks....aint it worth not worrying if you put aftermarket on?

Back