Do Pilot Powers HPX...

gtrpimp76

S.Q.U.I.D. Extraordinaire
Donating Member
Registered
make a good track day tire? Many recommend the Pilot Powers/High Performance sport for track but the Michelin website says the HPX is specifically designed for hypersports like the 12R and Busa. Here's what I want out of my tires:

Awesome grip/sticky for some mean lean angles for the track yet rated for over 190+MPH runs and as a daily driver.

So what would it be: HPX or Pilot Powers Sport?

I can't speak for track days, but I had HPX on the scoot and switched to Pilot Sports for handling and manuverability. FWIW...

I have used them both.

The Power IMO is a greatly improved tire. The HPX hit the market designed for the hyper bikes, Busa and the 12. It does provide good stick and decent mileage when pushed hard.

I got 1500 miles or so out of the front and rear.

The Power has more of a "V" shaped profile and will make your bike steer a little quicker. If you are used to a true race tire 208GP, Pilot H2/M2/S2, the transition will not be noticable.

If you are coming from a round shaped tire, M1, Diablo, 208, BT56/10 you will notice a difference.

I do not do any top speed runs but on the back straight at RA, I was seeing right at 180 indicated with no tire problems using the Michelin M2 120 ft 190 rear.

I used the Powers on the street at last years Busa Bash. Excellent stick, better than the HPX and no warm up time. After a few corners on the way to the Gap, I felt confident and ready to rail.

I got around 1700 miles out of that set and I was pushing harder than I did with the HPX.

If you are looking for a track day tire, I am using the Michelin M2. Awsome stick and the once warm will help elimanate cold tearing of the tire due to improved stick over a street tire.

I actually get better mileage out of the M2's around 2200 miles.

Get the sports. HPX's are nice but their sole design is to compensate for the Busa's weight and sustained high speeds (170+). The problem at a circuit track or drag racing is you can do with out the added weight, and it is considerable. I ran consistent 2-3 tenths slower ET at the track and very little difference in MPH. I would think less inertia is better in circuit riding.

WOW..Some really good info there guys. I'll most likely end up with the Pilot Sports mainly cuz I love twisties and I'm sure I'll be an official track addict after March 6th.

I saw the HPX's at the MIchelin site and never even really knew what those were about.

WOW..Some really good info there guys. I'll most likely end up with the Pilot Sports mainly cuz I love twisties and I'm sure I'll be an official track addict after March 6th.

I saw the HPX's at the MIchelin site and never even really knew what those were about.
Pilot Sports and Pilot powers are two different tires.....you want the "Pilot Powers" for your track day. l

Back