Do it yourself or not?

IrieRoots08

Registered
'Bout to purchase a 300 wide kit for my '08 and want to know if this is something that can be done in my garage or if paying a shop is a better choice. Are there any special tools needed? If so, what are they and are they expensive? I've wrenched on cars here and there (basic stuff) but tearing into something that is brand new (214 miles) kind of scares me a bit. I've seen lots of pics of stretched busa's but not '08's. Are there mods on '08's that are too difficult, if so what are they?

I know there is a lot of knowledge in the Busa Family, please kick it to me.

With the kit between $5500 - 6500 plus shop costs if needed, tires, I'm looking at $6500 - 7500 just for the rear end, is this normal?

Thanks ya'll!

OneLove
Irie

The hardest part is getting the swing arm off. You are suppose to have a specail wrench/socket to undo the lock nut. However a hammer and a chisel/punch with a little patience will get it off all the same. The only other thing that you need is a couple jack stands to support at the frame in the center and a wheel chock. It is not really "hard" it is just a little time involved. But a Rainy saturday and a couple CD's would take care of it no problem. If you put up your location I am sure there is some one here that would come over and help ya. If you are any where near me than I will offer up my bike lift and stick it on for ya. Personally I do not htink it is worth the thousand dollars for install, It is not that hard. If you decide to do it and you want a real run down shoot me a pm and I will give you the scoop.

The hardest part is getting the swing arm off. You are suppose to have a specail wrench/socket to undo the lock nut. However a hammer and a chisel/punch with a  little patience will get it off all the same. The only other thing that you need is a couple jack stands to support at the frame in the center and a wheel chock. It is not really "hard" it is just a little time involved. But a Rainy saturday and a couple CD's would take care of it no problem.  If you put up your location I am sure there is some one here that would come over and help ya.  If you are any where near me than I will offer up my bike lift and stick it on for ya. Personally I do not htink it is worth the thousand dollars for install, It is not that hard. If you decide to do it and you want a real run down shoot me a pm and I will give you the scoop.
A member here was selling these sockets a month or so ago. Do a search. Get this spanner socket as I think a punch or chisel is going to bung this up too much and I'm sure you want this to look real nice when you're done. Do this you self and enjoy the time working on the bike and because you did it yourself you can be proud of it that much more.

If your careful with a punch you actually won't even notice that you used one. The problem I have with it is I like to get things to torque spec and you can't do that using this method you can only get it to GFT

Get the socket and that should cover it for tools. My 330 C&S kit was $6400, inlcuded: 10 inch black arm w/ arrow point blocks, both RC chrome wheels, 330 tire, chains, sprocket,and brake line. Had a shop help at $400 labor ( included 1 guy and tools to work with me and welding up my mod exhaust mid pipe). I wanted a shop involved due to rumors...kit do NOT bolt right up. Mine did except needed to shave 1/8 inch off axle spacer. Hope this hleped some..good luck.
beerchug.gif

Oh, and dont forget to stiffen the rear suspention before you crash her on the tail.

Just be super careful. Make sure the chain and jack shafts are in properly. I saw a Do It Yourselfer mess up his brand new 08 busa. Put on a 300 and the chain got bound up in the jack shaft sprockets and decided to destroy that whole front sprocket area. He only had 200 miles on the bike and well less than that on the kit. OOPSY

I would say if you would tackle changing a shock then your ok! The bolt or shaft holding the swing arm on is a synch! Take nut off on Left side 36mm socket, The Right side is threaded into the frame! the castilated nut you need the tool for is actualy for tightening it when installin it. 15/16 allen or just a bent bolt will screw the shaft out. Everything else is self explained if you are a mechanic. I made my own 250 kit! used this wheel I had kickin around. Got it to 1" of center. Modded stock swing arm! Rides pretty good too!!! especially to the left!
cool.gif

250_installed_4_28_08_017.jpg

I can get the sockets if you need them, full set to do engine and swingarm is $80 shipped, or $30 shipped for the swingarm socket.

Back