Do I really NEED a power commander to run a 4 into 1 exhaust on a 13?

bsowers34

Registered
I don't want to waste money on slip-on cans and still have a pipe on both sides. Not really looking for more performance, it really doesnt need any more power since I only weigh 140. But does it really HAVE to have to be dyno tuned to run ok? I have had full exhaust systems on a lot of new injected cars without chipping and they ran great. I have a 2013 Yellow limited edition. I know, limited to as many as they could sell in yellow.

Some 4 n 1 systems do very little for performance, but IMO if you buy a good one you need a tune. It can be done through the ECU or by adding a PC, but I don't know what I'm talking about and just wanted to bump your thread so experts could respond. The weight savings is tremendous.

No, you do not NEED a base map or dyno tune.
The gen2 will run fine with a full exhaust without a tune.
Is a good dyno tune beneficial with a full exhaust? Definitely.

Thanks sixpack, I thought so. I will remap it eventually, just didn't want to have problems until then. Now all I have to do is choose the system I want.

I personally, wouldn't run any full system without some type of piggy back or ECU tuning. I've seen my share of bikes on our dyno with full system upgrades before tuning and the AFR's are so lean at wide-open-throttle, it's scary.

I agree and have seen some so pig snot rich that it can cause damage also.. The tuning isn't just about power gain, but how efficiently the engine performs. This can add to engine longevity, less maintenance, greater performance and good fuel mileage. There is a reason their tuned at factory,lol..

I personally, wouldn't run any full system without some type of piggy back or ECU tuning. I've seen my share of bikes on our dyno with full system upgrades before tuning and the AFR's are so lean at wide-open-throttle, it's scary.

Last edited:
Well, I've ridden my share of bikes with full exhausts and no tunes.
Plenty with Power Commanders with base maps, and the base maps all suck, with the exception of Brocks.
No noticeable change in smoothness, idle, hp, nothing. Get a brocks exhaust and get their base map and you'll have a much improved bike. Otherwise, I wouldn't waste my money.
If the bike runs good and the sparkplugs look good, then it's running ok. The plugs tell the story. If they're lean and burnt or rich and sooty, then you need a dyno tune.
Will a dyno improve it? Of coarse! But not everyone has access to one either.
I've said it many times; Where are all the ruined engines from a full exhaust with stock a/f? Where are all the posts on various forums about them burning down? There aren't. Finding a handful out of countless thousands proves nothing either. Then you need proof that just a full exhaust alone was catastrophic.
Again, dyno tune whenever possible! But worry about not doing so on a stock engine? Nope.

People that have ridden a properly tuned bike know the difference between it and a improperly running bike. A person that has ridden nothing but improperly setup running bikes wouldn't know the difference if that's all they ever rode.. :banghead: :rofl: Ride Whichever You Like.. A ****ty dyno tune is really no better than a base map from 4500 ft when your at seal level :laugh:

Back