DO I NEED THE HIGH TEMP EXHAUST SEALANT FOR MY MICRON?

i'm installing my micrn in a few days and was wondering how many micron owners out there had to use exhaust sealant on their systems if so what areas had leaks?

maniac

Everyones probably gonna tell you to put it on there but not me. I have never put sealant on my exhausts and have never had any problems. None of my friends put sealant on their exhaust and have never had any problems. Of course, its not gonna hurt anything either but if it was necessary then the exhaust manufacturers would include this in the instructions.

From experience on microns...do put a little where the head pipes go into the collector. I also took some scotch brite and roughed the head pipe so it would stick a little better. The # 2 pipe may sometimes leak a little when new if you don`t. After you run it for a while regardless if it leaks slightly when new it will seal up. Do use new exhaust gaskets. After you put the pipe together give the silicone time to dry or you will blow it out when firing that monster up......

If you use silicone it will dry and make final adjustments very hard to do. you will not be able to move the pipe and with the micron you will find that when you put your fairings back on it will require some movement as to keep the pipe away from parts of the fairing so the heat wont burn them.my suggestion is not to use anything but what the factory sent you--if you decide to use the silicone good luck!!!!!

Permatex makes the copper hitemp "copper" sealant.
I put it on the Micron almost 4500 miles ago and removed it to put my new can on. It came apart easily and the sealant did not dry like the post above me states. It cures but reamins resilent.
Ask Micron the manufacturer why they recommend it?
I would use it. It costs little and will not make things more difficult.
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob (edited 19 April 2000).]

Gentlemen,

I'm in the process of installing a K-Factory pipe myself and I will be using FEL-PRO Cooper Based Anti-Seize Lubricant that meets MIL-A-907 specifications. This stuff is what we use on Jet Aircraft Engines. I don't know how it's goin to work but as soon as I finish I can give you guys some feedback.
If anyone out there thinks this is a big NO NO please let me know as I'm really experimenting here with this stuff.

Ride Safe, RJ

Back