Do I need Road 5 GT? compare to Road 5

newtonx

Registered
Michelin offers Road 5 and Road 5 GT. Do I need to get the GT version? My gf and I have a combine weight of probably around 300lbs

Michelin offers Road 5 and Road 5 GT. Do I need to get the GT version? My gf and I have a combine weight of probably around 300lbs
Need? I don't think so. I believe the GT's are a harder tire; the ride might feel harder as well. What are your current tires? What are your riding plans/goals?

The following video is about tire pressure but illustrates the number of variables required to accurately calculate just that component. Surely, an equivalent amount of data should be considered when choosing tires.

Hope this helps!

I've heard the GT is designed for heavier bikes and payloads, I guess if you plan on riding with your girlfriend on a regular basis, the GT might be better..

Casual riding, commute, no tracks, occasional ride with gf. I don't ride that aggressive nor crazy speed either.

Casual riding, commute, no tracks, occasional ride with gf. I don't ride that aggressive nor crazy speed either.
The tire debate is long and endless. I read what you wrote in the quote.Buy a decent quality tire that's maybe even on sale.You'll be extra fine with a harder compound such as the GT. You will be safe on something way less expensive if desired as well. The weight that will be going on your bike is nothing.Some of these guys weigh 300 pounds themselves,and thats BEFORE lunch.Don't take the tire thing too seriously.Decent tire recomened for the Busa,correct tire pressure (we can go into that if you have a spare hour) etc.
Track guys...10 opinions. LSR guys...10 opinions.Touring guys...10 opinions. Iron Butt guys...car tires.
Rubb.

The tire debate is long and endless. I read what you wrote in the quote.Buy a decent quality tire that's maybe even on sale.You'll be extra fine with a harder compound such as the GT. You will be safe on something way less expensive if desired as well. The weight that will be going on your bike is nothing.Some of these guys weigh 300 pounds themselves,and thats BEFORE lunch.Don't take the tire thing too seriously.Decent tire recomened for the Busa,correct tire pressure (we can go into that if you have a spare hour) etc.
Track guys...10 opinions. LSR guys...10 opinions.Touring guys...10 opinions. Iron Butt guys...car tires.
Rubb.
+1

Gt model has ZERO compound difference from a NON GT pilot rd 5 .
The GT has extra belting and plies to support 650 plus pound tour bikes with riders and cargo . FJR1300, C14 , ST1300 K1600 and other models.
The gt version also weighs more due to extra steel belts / nylon cords

Gt model rides stiffer due to extra belting .

Answer is no as tire life will not change .

Guys this information is always available on the makers website.

Rubb.
and it ends with zee pilot power :rolleyes:but ............ I digress.......ya

The GT has extra belting and plies to support 650 plus pound tour bikes with riders and cargo . FJR1300, C14 , ST1300 K1600 and other models.

I have chosen the setup you recommended in a video:
Power RS front
Road 5 rear

Nowhere on the internet can I find the recommended tire pressure for these tires so I'm asking what pressures you run

I have chosen the setup you recommended in a video:
Power RS front
Road 5 rear

Nowhere on the internet can I find the recommended tire pressure for these tires so I'm asking what pressures you run
42 / 42 even thought bike is 500lb with 150 lb pilot . When in the mountains pushing Hard 38 front is the only change besides suspension clicks .

Are you saying my C14 is a phat pig?

Just finished speaking with Michelin North America.
Asked them their recommended tire PSI for the Road 5 and Power RS
They said: when it comes to motorcycle tires, we recommend you take your bike to the dealer and have the dealer evaluate your bike and tire combination to achieve the proper tire inflation rate.

I will NOT be doing that

They said: when it comes to motorcycle tires, we recommend you take your bike to the dealer and have the dealer evaluate your bike and tire combination to achieve the proper tire inflation rate.

I will NOT be doing that

How about 38 rear and 34 front? Give or take a pound or two, those numbers have worked well for me since 2006. Michelin or any other company won’t ever go on record with this info for liability concerns. Weight, type of riding, and outside temps all effect the proper psi for tires.

I will NOT be doing that
That's one thing I can say about dunlop they have easy access to recommended pressures for recommended tires including regular commuting and spirited or track pressures. But of course they recommend the q3+ the busa so not the roadsmart so I'll be running the recommended 42 set by Suzuki.

That's one thing I can say about dunlop they have easy access to recommended pressures for recommended tires including regular commuting and spirited or track pressures. But of course they recommend the q3+ the busa so not the roadsmart so I'll be running the recommended 42 set by Suzuki.

Isn’t that 42 just a recommended MAX psi? Where did Suzuki ever say 42 psi is what all riders should go with?

All the research I've done here on the org and my sticker says 42 is their "recommended" not just max. Of course we all know it depends on the roads and rider preference as I will drop the pressure if I plan on running hard. I have found that running 42 psi seems to help the tires last a little longer. I think @c10 reported the same.

Back