Do I need Road 5 GT? compare to Road 5

newtonx

Registered
Michelin offers Road 5 and Road 5 GT. Do I need to get the GT version? My gf and I have a combine weight of probably around 300lbs

HayaWakened

Registered
Michelin offers Road 5 and Road 5 GT. Do I need to get the GT version? My gf and I have a combine weight of probably around 300lbs
Need? I don't think so. I believe the GT's are a harder tire; the ride might feel harder as well. What are your current tires? What are your riding plans/goals?

The following video is about tire pressure but illustrates the number of variables required to accurately calculate just that component. Surely, an equivalent amount of data should be considered when choosing tires.

Hope this helps!

Bumblebee

Registered
I've heard the GT is designed for heavier bikes and payloads, I guess if you plan on riding with your girlfriend on a regular basis, the GT might be better..

newtonx

Registered
Casual riding, commute, no tracks, occasional ride with gf. I don't ride that aggressive nor crazy speed either.

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Casual riding, commute, no tracks, occasional ride with gf. I don't ride that aggressive nor crazy speed either.
The tire debate is long and endless. I read what you wrote in the quote.Buy a decent quality tire that's maybe even on sale.You'll be extra fine with a harder compound such as the GT. You will be safe on something way less expensive if desired as well. The weight that will be going on your bike is nothing.Some of these guys weigh 300 pounds themselves,and thats BEFORE lunch.Don't take the tire thing too seriously.Decent tire recomened for the Busa,correct tire pressure (we can go into that if you have a spare hour) etc.
Track guys...10 opinions. LSR guys...10 opinions.Touring guys...10 opinions. Iron Butt guys...car tires.
Rubb.

HayaWakened

Registered
The tire debate is long and endless. I read what you wrote in the quote.Buy a decent quality tire that's maybe even on sale.You'll be extra fine with a harder compound such as the GT. You will be safe on something way less expensive if desired as well. The weight that will be going on your bike is nothing.Some of these guys weigh 300 pounds themselves,and thats BEFORE lunch.Don't take the tire thing too seriously.Decent tire recomened for the Busa,correct tire pressure (we can go into that if you have a spare hour) etc.
Track guys...10 opinions. LSR guys...10 opinions.Touring guys...10 opinions. Iron Butt guys...car tires.
Rubb.
+1

c10

Registered
Gt model has ZERO compound difference from a NON GT pilot rd 5 .
The GT has extra belting and plies to support 650 plus pound tour bikes with riders and cargo . FJR1300, C14 , ST1300 K1600 and other models.
The gt version also weighs more due to extra steel belts / nylon cords

Gt model rides stiffer due to extra belting .

Answer is no as tire life will not change .

Guys this information is always available on the makers website.

rd99

Registered
Rubb.
and it ends with zee pilot power :rolleyes:but ............ I digress.......ya

HayaWakened

Registered
The GT has extra belting and plies to support 650 plus pound tour bikes with riders and cargo . FJR1300, C14 , ST1300 K1600 and other models.

I have chosen the setup you recommended in a video:
Power RS front
Road 5 rear

Nowhere on the internet can I find the recommended tire pressure for these tires so I'm asking what pressures you run

c10

Registered
I have chosen the setup you recommended in a video:
Power RS front
Road 5 rear

Nowhere on the internet can I find the recommended tire pressure for these tires so I'm asking what pressures you run
42 / 42 even thought bike is 500lb with 150 lb pilot . When in the mountains pushing Hard 38 front is the only change besides suspension clicks .

GIXERHP

ok, ok...just a wee bit Irish...
Donating Member
Registered

Are you saying my C14 is a phat pig?

HayaWakened

Registered
Just finished speaking with Michelin North America.
Asked them their recommended tire PSI for the Road 5 and Power RS
They said: when it comes to motorcycle tires, we recommend you take your bike to the dealer and have the dealer evaluate your bike and tire combination to achieve the proper tire inflation rate.

I will NOT be doing that

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
They said: when it comes to motorcycle tires, we recommend you take your bike to the dealer and have the dealer evaluate your bike and tire combination to achieve the proper tire inflation rate.

I will NOT be doing that
How about 38 rear and 34 front? Give or take a pound or two, those numbers have worked well for me since 2006. Michelin or any other company won’t ever go on record with this info for liability concerns. Weight, type of riding, and outside temps all effect the proper psi for tires.

Dopey

Registered

I will NOT be doing that
That's one thing I can say about dunlop they have easy access to recommended pressures for recommended tires including regular commuting and spirited or track pressures. But of course they recommend the q3+ the busa so not the roadsmart so I'll be running the recommended 42 set by Suzuki.

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
That's one thing I can say about dunlop they have easy access to recommended pressures for recommended tires including regular commuting and spirited or track pressures. But of course they recommend the q3+ the busa so not the roadsmart so I'll be running the recommended 42 set by Suzuki.
Isn’t that 42 just a recommended MAX psi? Where did Suzuki ever say 42 psi is what all riders should go with?

Dopey

Registered
All the research I've done here on the org and my sticker says 42 is their "recommended" not just max. Of course we all know it depends on the roads and rider preference as I will drop the pressure if I plan on running hard. I have found that running 42 psi seems to help the tires last a little longer. I think @c10 reported the same.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
xXxNapalmxXx I need help getting back on the road Maintenance and Do-It-Yourself 3
C-Dog Road Trip Finally!! Need More help! New Owners Forum 3
C-Dog Road Trip, Finally!! Need Help. General Bike Related Topics 13
P going to Corpus...need a road report Random Thoughts 8
Anatar That's it- I need a road trip... General Bike Related Topics 17
gurrera You need a LOL today Random Thoughts 2
I i need an intank fuel pump!! General Bike Related Topics 11
J What all do I need to change to use a gen 1 swingarm on a gen 2? Gen II Busa Information 13
M anyone good with led repairs..I have libertek diamond leds...need led repairing help Electrical Mods 1
B I need to ask u 1st gen vs 2nd gen exh header General Bike Related Topics 1
rubbersidedown Need help from my private investigators...Hayabuser,etc.... Random Thoughts 1
rubbersidedown I need help.LOL.Let me re-phrase. INFO NEEDED from a MOD/ADMIN/Member Random Thoughts 4
rubbersidedown photo program for windows 10? Free.Easy to use.web download.I need one. Random Thoughts 13
H Need help on tank hoses General Bike Related Topics 5
gurrera During these uncertain times, we need to smile Random Thoughts 1
rubbersidedown Heli bars,who needs 'em. I do.Or I need GIXXERHP I think General Bike Related Topics 2
B What will I need to get to 400hp? New Owners Forum 7
C Checked valve clearances today - need advice. Gen II Busa Information 31
kml Why you don't need to lower a bike to flat foot for control. General Bike Related Topics 2
M Engine in car. Need low fuel light. General Bike Related Topics 1
P In need of a shop relatively local Busa problems 10
SmokeKingOfCali99Hayabusa 2008 Gsxr 1000 Wont Start. Need Help !! General Bike Related Topics 17
S 2000 1397 need help pricing General Bike Related Topics 6
Mathewrussell52 Do I need to drop the motor to do head studs? General Bike Related Topics 25
L Need some help with my turn signal modification!!! Electrical Mods 3
Blacksmith Need new guages/faces... Gen II Busa Information 12
pashnit Need tail bolt spacers Busa Mods 2
M Port Richey FL area need work done General Bike Related Topics 4
B need help General Bike Related Topics 4
J Need hrlp fast i want to drive it to work Busa problems 1
E I need help with stretching Busa Mods 20
T What hydraulic clutch cylinder do i need for a lock up clutch on my 1300 hayabusa? (stock cylinder not strong enough.) Engine and Performance mods 3
U Why do I need to do my break in oil change at 300 miles for my 18 cbr1krr? General Bike Related Topics 7
K New owner need some help please!!! General Bike Related Topics 116
Sidebike Need help with a Voltage Regulator problem General Bike Related Topics 7
Swiftfalcon Irradium Gen 2 plugs need replacement. General Bike Related Topics 2
GAmedic Need the Orgs opinion.... Appearance mods 10
groran1000 Need passenger foot peg assembly right side Gen 2 General Bike Related Topics 0
R Gen1, need longer splined gear lever shaft Busa Mods 1
Jon Wine New 2019 Busa - Need advice Gen II Busa Information 37
Monedogg Right Turn Signal problem need help!!! Busa problems 3
Lifestudent Need help with front suspension and motor issues. Busa problems 23
Bluebusa60544 I’m gonna need a taller hump. Nitrous 13
SSGT_B Need 06 Tank Color Code Off Topic 6
F Need to Borrow Spring Compressor Gen II Busa Information 8
J Need help finding front and rear stands. General Bike Related Topics 13
jeffgordons24 Need a little help General Bike Related Topics 11
J Need help! General Bike Related Topics 13
kml I need advice on how to repair small stress crack under mirror. Busa problems 9
c10 Need assistance from a Uk member . General Bike Related Topics 2