DNA vs BMC vs Pipercross

There has actually been several threads "trying" to discuss which filter is best, but weirdly, nobody that actually knows will chime in.  I'm pretty sure that the several board sponsors that post dyno results have done time with different filter, but seem not to want to touch this subject. Hmmmm
Ryan Schintz has a dyno comparison of a BMC Race vs Pipercross vs stock on his site. The BMC Race makes the most power.....and gives the best throttle response  
winkold.gif
If you have a pre-mapped 2008 Hayabusa and want to compare the three filters let me know. The Pipercross RACE needs to be on a mapped bike it flows that much, I call it a tuners filter. We have a ram air simulation set-up here with a 17 to 1 air exchange per minute in our dyno room and the Pipercross is tough to beat anywhere in the RPM range.

Just need one bike, we have the three filters here and its not just because we sell the Pipercross. Just call me and let me know when your comining up and we will post the results here, the room stays the same temperature all day with the climate control so apples to apples is pretty simple. We will run the bike at the same engine temp for each test as well. Free filter for the test mule. Should be done in an hour.  
whistling.gif

thumb_up.gif

LMK
Hey Greg, you want me to bring my 08 up? LMK can probably do Friday
winkold.gif

winkold.gif

BTW I also need an oil change and 1st service while ya got it!
thumb_up.gif

I ran the PiperCross filter today, last week I ran no filter, it mph the same in the 1/8th mile, must flow well,  you have the saftey of a filter to catch stuff. I cant speak for the BMC or DNA, but if the mph is the same as no filter it must be good. Thanks HPC for the filter

wee
Good news Wheelie thats my point with the RACE spec filter. It flows.....
thumb_up.gif

I ran the PiperCross filter today, last week I ran no filter, it mph the same in the 1/8th mile, must flow well, you have the saftey of a filter to catch stuff. I cant speak for the BMC or DNA, but if the mph is the same as no filter it must be good. Thanks HPC for the filter

wee
thumb_up.gif
Speaks well for airbox design too... on motors with carbs, we found that the air filters would help by "cleaning" up the air flow, not just the air (non airbox motors).. turbulent flow would "stifle" the motor at certain RPMS/MPH...

Greg, does this show up on the dyno as well or is it strictly related to the MPH issue?

Ok gang it seems Greg will be running the filters on my 08 this Friday, stay tuned for the results, we all know Greg can be trusted to give us the real picture of things so this should clear it up for everybody
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
besides, I'm off Friday so what better way to spend it than riding to see one of our sponsors
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I ran the PiperCross filter today, last week I ran no filter, it mph the same in the 1/8th mile, must flow well,  you have the saftey of a filter to catch stuff. I cant speak for the BMC or DNA, but if the mph is the same as no filter it must be good. Thanks HPC for the filter

wee
thumb_up.gif
Speaks well for airbox design too... on motors with carbs, we found that the air filters would help by "cleaning" up the air flow, not just the air (non airbox motors)..  turbulent flow would "stifle" the motor at certain RPMS/MPH...

Greg, does this show up on the dyno as well or is it strictly related to the MPH issue?
The Pipercross makes more power on the dyno VS. the stock filter. The Pipercross also shows better gains with ram air added over the stock filter as well.  
thumb_up.gif
No better test than MPH with a consistant rider like Wheelie.

thumb_up.gif

cool....

Hey Greg, I know you are not into "shameless" self promotion but you should post your banner in you signature... (it has the phone number!) or at least put the phone number there..

Just nice to have as a "trusted" sponsor of the site. You are not alone in that respect but it is a great getting advice and service from a person without all the "bias" Thanks again!
thumb_up.gif

(well maybe a bit of bias, you seem to dump junk that does not work and keep the "good" stuff on hand)
laugh.gif

EDIT: that was fast
smile.gif
now if I can get you off dyno for a few minutes
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

From all the info i have received as long as you clean your filter put in the best, pipercross race just take care of it. I ordered mine from greg this weekend and cant wait to put on and dyno. Im new to bikes but on cars you can put on high flowing filters and do race modifications and use it as a daily driver, the problem comes when people modify there vehicles and dont keep them up , the more you modify the more you need to service them, but if you love speed its worth it just my 2cents

O.K. Greg..... since I started this thread, is there any chance of me getting a discount or even a free filter?
whistling.gif

bump.gif
Ok leaving to see Greg, I guess we will check in later!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
hot as hell today, humid but hey it's a ride!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

I scarfed up a Pipercross from Greg several months ago after his initial R-77 testing... any sponsor who hooks up the community with free vital info should definitely be patronized. I *might* have found a cut-throat price from some "blow-out" vendor, but it's good for karma points to support those who support us!
thumb_up.gif

I waited to the first spark plug change to drop in the Pipercross:

pipercross.jpg

The OEM filter has an impressive wire-mesh screen that the Pipercross does not (which certainly doesn't mean the paper OEM filter is "better"; I'm just remarking on the difference in construction). It is apparent the OEM filter does a fine job itself: there is a substantial amount of fine dust that I ride through here in the High Desert, yet the airbox interior looks clean enough to eat off of:

OldOEMfilterHOUSING.jpg

Below is the business end of the OEM paper filter. I changed this a little earlier than the Schedule Maintenance interval calls for... this filter only has 8400 miles on it:

OldOEMfilter.jpg

After installing the Papercross, did I feel/notice the extra 1-2 hp?

Um, no.
laugh.gif
And I didn't expect to.... I got the Pipercross for the maintenance longevity, so I don't have to buy paper filters 3 times a year.

Back