DMV Skill Test with the Hayabusa

Man I got that thing when I was 14. Toomey pipes and boyeson reeds in it and I spanked all my older brothers friends on their Gs 750s and KZs. I ran it into the ground hard.
My RD surprised many a bike too...I had that, a Kawasaki S1 (250 triple), a RM 125 at the same time..

The Daytona had DG piles, reeds, K&N pods, shaved, ported and polished heads, Wiseco pistons, rear sets, Clubman bars, Gold Tech valving and Progressive springs with Progressive shocks out back...it was a lot of fun...

You commented why use a busa in a thread where a guy used his to take the test. So sorry if I thought you were referring to him.
I did my course on a 97 Zx11 here in Florida when it was new as it was the only bike I had same as Op. But it was nowhere near what the Op had to do. Basically they checked it to make sure all things worked and I rode around the parking lot a bit. That was it.
Not sure id want to borrow a friends bike to do that either. Would suck to drop HIS bike on a slow move. Not to mention I don’t know many ‘friends’ who would entertain that idea to begin with? Most true bikers would sooner let you ride their girlfriend before their bike. :)
I bought a 97 ZX11 new, the wineberry color one, loved it, rode it to Pennsylvania and back, rode it in the mountains several times, wish I’d kept it.

I bought a 97 ZX11 new, the wineberry color one, loved it, rode it to Pennsylvania and back, rode it in the mountains several times, wish I’d kept it.
Like this?

8A81E816-D260-41C8-A840-AE8BA819B99D.jpeg

I called it the ‘shinbone fryer’ model. Man when the exhaust fans kicked on it would literally blister you. I remember the first day I rode my 09 Busa. Was amazing and so ‘cool’ compared to the Zx.

I got rear ended on I95 and run over on the Zx above. Car literally drove over me after ramping off the bike. That was the only thing that saved me. My steed sacrificed herself for me. :(

Like this?

View attachment 1654467

I called it the ‘shinbone fryer’ model. Man when the exhaust fans kicked on it would literally blister you. I remember the first day I rode my 09 Busa. Was amazing and so ‘cool’ compared to the Zx.
That’s it, man I loved that bike, windshield, Corbin seat, gen mar bar risers, Muzzy exhaust, tank bag, tail bags, electric clothes, rode 15 hours one day but man was I squirming in the seat on hour 12. Used to camp at TWO (two wheels only) in Georgia.

I got rear ended on I95 and run over on the Zx above. Car literally drove over me after ramping off the bike. That was the only thing that saved me. My steed sacrificed herself for me. :(
Ouch brother glad you survived to talk about it. I totaled a 94 ZX11 but it was my fault, too hot in a curve and the bike hit a pole as I was sliding under a barb wire fence. There’s nothing wrong with Bahia grass you just can’t turn in it. Lol.

Like this?

View attachment 1654467

Yeah the fans would blister you, I remember once I rode in shorts (I don’t do that anymore) and a week later I pulled sheets of peeling skin off my knees and thighs.

That’s it, man I loved that bike, windshield, Corbin seat, gen mar bar risers, Muzzy exhaust, tank bag, tail bags, electric clothes, rode 15 hours one day but man was I squirming in the seat on hour 12. Used to camp at TWO (two wheels only) in Georgia.
I had a 4 into 1 Supertrapp on it. Man that thing sounded wicked. I put over 40,000 miles on it before some old lady in a Town Car crushed her.
Two weeks later I was working the front desk doing mgr duty as I still could hardly walk when she walked into the dealership and asked where the body shop was. I said to her ‘don’t you recognize me?’ She was like ‘hmmmm???’ I then told her I was the one who she ran over. She went white and apologized profusely.

Back in 91 I sold a few bikes at a dealer in Mesa Arizona... this was back when I still had my hair. Anyway, around 2001 I traded a 89 V Max for an all black 1990 ZX-11with a Yosh pipe. Wow! What a difference a real chassis makes! The power on the V max was good but the ZX-11 was my fastest ride to date... I still see these for sale in good condition for about 3K. I took mine out a few times with the muffler off... I just couldn't get enough of the addicting sound these motors make. I wish I had never sold it.

1990 ZX-11.jpg

Someone could do the car driver test in a Ferrari but why put yourself through that much work?

Doing a motorcycle test on a bike such as a Hayabusa is a similar conundrum....it can be done but why put yourself through that when you can do it easier on a smaller, easy to flick around bike.
I thought of the same thing, I have several years of experience riding and possess a non
-California riding license prior to this - I assumed it could be done. I would recommend riders to test out with what they will be riding eventually. These are essential skills in my opinion, slow turns, balance and speed control and will be applied in some ways in street riding. Would it be difficult for the new rider - yes, but with practice and dedication it's possible. Testing with the motorcycle I would be riding was the main reason for me to go with the Hayabusa. Also I didn't know of anyone with a grom or similar like it to borrow to test out and not quite sure if they would be ok lending it. People are sensitive about their motorcycles lol.

Someone could do the car driver test in a Ferrari but why put yourself through that much work?

Doing a motorcycle test on a bike such as a Hayabusa is a similar conundrum....it can be done but why put yourself through that when you can do it easier on a smaller, easy to flick around bike.

A speed shop nearby has a Honda 250 they lend for DMV tests.

Back in 91 I sold a few bikes at a dealer in Mesa Arizona... this was back when I still had my hair. Anyway, around 2001 I traded a 89 V Max for an all black 1990 ZX-11with a Yosh pipe. Wow! What a difference a real chassis makes! The power on the V max was good but the ZX-11 was my fastest ride to date... I still see these for sale in good condition for about 3K. I took mine out a few times with the muffler off... I just couldn't get enough of the addicting sound these motors make. I wish I had never sold it.

You’re correct on the price of used ZX11, here’s a 99 in St. Pete Florida on Craigslist for $4k. I was giving it some thought but I really want to hold out for a Triumph Trophy

C02A73A3-A9F8-424E-BB66-FF44DDDCA5F5.png

My post didn’t go so trying again.
You’re correct on the price of used ZX11, here’s a 99 in St. Pete Florida on Craigslist for $4k. I was giving it some thought but I really want to hold out for a Triumph Trophy
These ZX-11s have actually held their value fairly well all these years later... my all black 1990 was a 1st year release and wasn't as nice as the later models.

These ZX-11s have actually held their value fairly well all these years later... my all black 1990 was a 1st year release and wasn't as nice as the later models.
What I find amazing is how long the 1000 Ninja lived on in the Concours version....and those 1000 Concours were bullet proof, I've seen some of those with a couple hundred thousand kms on them...

Back