DIY stop alert feature for taillight

GAmedic

Registered
I ordered a smoked taillight by chance for my old R6 and it had this feature and eventually found a taillight for my old Gen 1 that had the same. I have not had luck finding a taillight for my Gen 2 that did the same. The stop alert feature, for those that don't know, flashes the taillight several times before staying stationary while the brakes are applied. It's useful for people following you, in that it gets their attention better.

Fast forward to now when I found Signal Dynamics. They make a device called the Back Off XL. This allows your taillight to have this feature. Purchased for $35 on eBay, I just finished the install and I am pleased with the results. I don't do write ups much so if there are any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to get a video up soon.

1. Disconnect the battery. I usually never do this because I like to live dangerously.

2. Find the plug that goes directly to the taillight. In the second pic below, there are five wires. You'll be working with the white wire / black stripe.

3. Find a suitable location to mount the box. In the third pic, you can see that I mounted mine to the outside of the glove box area and clipped the white wire / black stripe further down into the harness.

4. Follow the directions that came with the Back Off XL. Solid red wire to the engine side of the clipped wire and red wire / white stripe to the taillight end of the same clipped wire. You can kinda see what I'm referring to in the third pic.

5. Ground the Back Off XL to the frame area, scraping off any factory powder coating to get a solid metal connection as seen in pic 4. Two wires will not be used unless you opt for the other built in flash pattern. Tuck those wires away.

6. Double check the operation of the taillight prior to reassembly. Put everything back together. Enjoy!

20180703_104921.jpg

20180703_120715.jpg

20180703_123214.jpg

20180703_130250.jpg

I posted on here some time ago about the Neutrino Black Box, which is basically a fuse block. Anyway it can sense deceleration so you can connect a string of red LEDs to it to flash when you decelerate. This is good because I have know people who got hit while using engine breaking or when missing a shift. These lights will flash at any deceleration.

I posted on here some time ago about the Neutrino Black Box, which is basically a fuse block. Anyway it can sense deceleration so you can connect a string of red LEDs to it to flash when you decelerate. This is good because I have know people who got hit while using engine breaking or when missing a shift. These lights will flash at any deceleration.

That could come in handy as well. Signal Dynamics also makes a device that I can use to convert my turn signals to brake lights while retaining the turn signal function. I may consider that as well.

There is someone who makes a light that goes on the helmet that senses deceleration and flashes, I think that's the best idea. If you miss that you are just not looking. I'm waiting for LED jackets. I can see lights in the shoulders and arms for additional visability. It's funny but some of these touring forums are almost totally devoted to being seen! Riding a Busa there are times you don't want to be seen......

That could come in handy as well. Signal Dynamics also makes a device that I can use to convert my turn signals to brake lights while retaining the turn signal function. I may consider that as well.
Not sure if you know about the member here that sells the kits to turn your turn signals into running lights front and rear, but retain you turn signal functionally.

Always been a huge fan of brake light modulators. Also put them on every bike I've owned dating back 20 years. They are cheap & easy to install, about $35-40 and also tried the Healtech Brake Light Pro on the TL1000R.

14134738865_723bae522d_o.jpg

Must have items for install

14155698215_1f75770682_o.jpg

14175759873_5e629ef240_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
13930008979_d3beac917e_o.jpg

14155722775_6caecac4b5_o.jpg

Signal Dynamics still makes other versions too like the Wig Wag. Undertail on the '00 Hayabusa had two brake lights so they flash alternating side to side

14175759713_f4ff3377fb_o.jpg

Also love lights on the front too, and been considering this. It's a bit pricey, but one of the guys I ride with has this kit and they are superbright and they have a flicker that kind of annoying which is the idea. I want to be seen. I've been hit head on once so far and would prefer not to do that again.

https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Photon-Blaster-Turn-Signals-p80191707

Last edited by a moderator:
Back