DIY Givi V56 Integrated Lights

geckostudios

Registered
Hey everyone,
I just recently finished up a project that I was working on for the new Givi V56 topbox that I installed. For those that don't know, the topbox has a spot for lights on each side of the box. However, as far as I know the factory light kit will only do brake lights. Deciding that I wanted more out of it, I decided to make an Arduino controlled LED light system. The unit will show running lights when no signals are on. When I press the brakes, the lights will flash twice then stay lit. When a turn signal is used, it will do a scrolling animation to show the turn. It will also do hazard lights. I have a short video that shows the operation then goes through a walk through for those that want to know the details more. I'm working on an instructable that will be up in a few days for those that want to build it. Enjoy the video!

DIY Arduino Controlled Givi V56 Lights

Hey everyone,
I just recently finished up a project that I was working on for the new Givi V56 topbox that I installed. For those that don't know, the topbox has a spot for lights on each side of the box. However, as far as I know the factory light kit will only do brake lights. Deciding that I wanted more out of it, I decided to make an Arduino controlled LED light system. The unit will show running lights when no signals are on. When I press the brakes, the lights will flash twice then stay lit. When a turn signal is used, it will do a scrolling animation to show the turn. It will also do hazard lights. I have a short video that shows the operation then goes through a walk through for those that want to know the details more. I'm working on an instructable that will be up in a few days for those that want to build it. Enjoy the video!

DIY Arduino Controlled Givi V56 Lights
Twisted throttle sells a kit that is a running light, brake light and turn signal combo for the givi case. The brand is called admore. I have a v56 too case, as well. Your came out nice, though. Not sure if I missed it, but what was the cost of your DIY?

Reactions: c10
Sorry for the delay in replying. The cost was minimal for me because I had quite a few of the parts around. The strip of lights was about $20, an arduino nano is about $5 a board. If you have a surplus electronics store near by you can get the components for a few dollars. The plugs were about $12 for a package. Wiring and other items would round out the build. I basically only needed to buy the lights and waterproof plugs, so I'm in for about $35, buying from scratch you could probably get it for around $50 or $60 if you have the right types of stores nearby. Don't know what all the Admore lights do, probably similar with potentially an easier install (never seen the installation on those). Really this was an excuse to get learn how to work with the LED light strips plus I couldn't bring myself to spend $150 for the Admore variety. I also got to do my swanky startup sequence (I might be slightly excited about my finished project).

Nice job and the potential for expanded capabilities is cool too. Like maybe an accelerometer to automatically flash brake lights (even when down shifting and not braking when coming to a stop). Did you add USB power in the case?

Nice job and the potential for expanded capabilities is cool too. Like maybe an accelerometer to automatically flash brake lights (even when down shifting and not braking when coming to a stop). Did you add USB power in the case?
No, I have a built-in 5 volt regulator for simplicity. It wouldn't be hard to add USB power output later on if I wanted, but I would probably want it up front.

Back