Diy Gear Position Indicator

kranky1

Registered
In my spare time, which seems to be never anymore, I've been working on a DIY project using a SparkFun MicroView. Seeing the Gen I's didn't have a indicator and I can't justify $100+ to by one, I thought I would put my electronic and software knowledge to good personal use. I picked up the MicroView from DigiKey for roughly $40 and with roughly 4 hours invested so far I go it up and running for the most part. I have some software timing in the transitions to work out and I plan on adding a shift light (indication) to it as well eventually. But, this is what I have so far and thought I would share it, for those of you who might what to add an indicator to your ride as well cheaply.

Last edited:
Reactions: c10
Thanks. Between work and school I don't get a lot of time to mess around with stuff like this. Once I get time to iron out the shift indication portion of the project, I have plans to incorporate a shift light and possibly utilized the remaining 2 analogs input and 4 digital outputs of the micro-controller embedded in the MicoView to control all my switching features for my air-shifter and nitrous system activation, to eliminate the mechanical switches I currently use with the flip of one switch to ready both system. But, that takes time that I currently don't have. Hopefully by spring I can have it done for some actual real world testing.

Shouldn't N be between 1 & 2? I started working with some micro processors a few years ago when I was trying to make a gyro stabilized gopro mount. However the learning curve was too steep for the time I had to spend on it and now things have caught up! When I was playing with it, gyros and accelorometers were just getting on chips to go on chips but you had to do the math yourself (in the program) to get a usable number.

Now you can buy what amounts to am IMU for $150! There would be some neat possibilities. I'm thinking of a module you mount to the bike and level. This has a monitor that is remotely mounted at the dash. The IMU would:

1. Record max braking G's Maybe a braking warning light?
2. Record max acceleration G's
3. Display lean angle
4. Provide a warning when a settable max lean angle is reached, sort of like a shift light
5. Automatic brake lights based on deceleration. This could be smart. For example a flash with minor decal that speeds up as you approach max braking
6. Automatic flashing brake light when not moving, like at a stoplight.
7. Tamper alarm
8. data outs on lean angle and bike direction (turn camera into the turn) to run a motorized camera gimbal
9. Automatic turn signals that cancel when bike stops accelerating left or right and returns to forward travel.
10. Auto 1/4 mile and lap times (would need a GPS)
11. I don't know how quickly a Bazzaz TC control works but you could control the switch from the IMU, increasing TC automatically as you increase lean.

Could be a technology shot in the arm for older bikes like the Hayabusa.

And finally, how come the dictionary on the Hayabusa forum thinks Hayabusa is a misspelled? :snap:

Back