Difficult Bikes for Maintenance

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
So I've just put a new carburetor on this Honda Elite 80 scooter / pit bike. Decided it needed tires....you have to remove the exhaust to get the back tire off! This little thing was not built for ease of maintenance!

20190319_151543_zpsyg1jqwhc.jpg

20190319_151546_zpsmuckdcry.jpg

20190319_151559_zpsq4ldyhlx.jpg

20190319_151607_zpstkmdrsuo.jpg

It's actually booby trapped as well. The bolt on the bottom of the engine case is not the oil drain...it's the cam chain tensioner, so guess what falls out when you remove the bottom bolt.
The oil drain is an allen head bolt on the side of the engine case.

They could’ve definitely made that easier! I love tire changes on my DR650. Loosen two pinch bolts, unscrew the axle and out comes the front wheel. Rear is just a matter of removing axle nut and sliding axle out and out comes the rear, after sliding the chain off the rear sprocket.

Last edited:
I've heard ZX10 and zx14 are difficult purely because all the bodywork that has to be moved to access anything . Also the BMW1000R , a mate had one , an earlier model and he said those BMW designers were like over complicating fastener and panel fixture location . Still would like any of those I just mentioned !!

I can confirm that the zx 14 is a huge pain! Just to take the battery out on mine you have 10 screws and 3 different plastic plates...not even to mention if you need to go further inside....

I've heard ZX10 and zx14 are difficult purely because all the bodywork that has to be moved to access anything . Also the BMW1000R , a mate had one , an earlier model and he said those BMW designers were like over complicating fastener and panel fixture location . Still would like any of those I just mentioned !!
My brother's older RT has basically one fairing per side to take off for any major work with a million fastners...that and the greasing of the drive line spline which is a chore.

Just looking at my 03 wing you would think it will a pain to service but actually very easy to service the only item the air cleaner that sits on top of the engine it s a bit intimating to change at first but like anything it becomes easer next time around By the way I have just hit 305 thousand km on the old girl :thumbsup:

Back