Difference between a burnout and a wheelie

I've been told, instead of popping the clutch for a stationary burnout, it's better/more controlled to let the clutch out slowly. Less risk of going over backwards. Of course. It's not great for the clutch.
Then again. What burnout is?
Wheelies are fun!
beerchug.gif

Bike clutches are cheap and easy to replace anyway... and wet clutches don't burn up all that easily.

+1 on slow(ish) clutch release... You don't risk stressing your engine or tranny the same way either.

lurk.gif
5600 miles on factory rear, just paid $300 for new metzler. See how it does compared to bridgestone.
beerchug.gif

(PaNDeM1C @ Nov. 19 2006,23:49) And yeah, just buy a beater bike if you want to screw around. Seeing your busa all beat up after a crash will bring tears to your eyes!
a Busa is to much money just to tear up playing, and you will tear it up if you dont know what your doing,get you a beater bike to practice because you will go down, unless its daddy's money and you don't care
pissed.gif

(Busa Dude @ Nov. 20 2006,16:52)
(PaNDeM1C @ Nov. 19 2006,23:49) And yeah, just buy a beater bike if you want to screw around. Seeing your busa all beat up after a crash will bring tears to your eyes!
a Busa is to much money just to tear up playing, and you will tear it up if you dont know what your doing,get you a beater bike to practice because you will go down, unless its daddy's money and you don't care
pissed.gif
lol
laugh.gif
iamwithstupid.gif

Sounds like if u are asking these questions, u just need to get used to riding vs. trying to do any stunts or burnouts. be safe ... zay

(Busaman86 @ Nov. 19 2006,18:34) Clutch wheelies, you pull the clutch in, rev up to where your peak horsepower is, and pop the clutch
Burnouts:
Rolling burnouts (when you are moving), you pull the clutch in, rev up to around peak horsepower rpm, and pop the clutch out... hopefully it will be too much power for the rear tire to handle and instead of hooking, it will spin, causing a burnout
I hope you have your medical insurance paid up? If you actually put these methods to use, it wouldn't surprise me if you end up in a wheel chair?

I like the way you use the term "Hopefully" as well.
tounge.gif

I'm not flaming you man, but damn, you have some wild ass ideas here. Even if these methods work for you, it's not the ideas you want to give a guy who has only been riding a short time.

My advise to the post author is to find yourself a mentor in your area that can go out with you and show you how to safely get started. Both wheelies and burnouts are fun and easy but takes lots of practice to master. The one thing I can tell you is if you rev your bike up to peak HP and dump the clutch you will most likely end up on the pavement. It doesn't take lots of HP or rpm's to do wheelies or burnouts. It's all about technique. The slower the rear wheel turns on a burnout the more manageable it is.

At least go buy a dvd called "Wheelies by Dummies". A great starter video by Kyle Woods. He goes thourgh the whole scene of how to set your bike up and safely get started on the right track.

Learning on your own without any guidance, you will develop all sorts of bad habits. And bad habits are very hard to break. I know because I've had every bad habit known to mankind and they are extremely hard to break. There are guys in every area that can give you guidance. Just ask around and someone will point you towards a rider who has these skills mastered. Most are willing to help you get started.

Don't listen to people on the internet trying to describe how they do wheelies and burnouts. That's the best advice you can get, son.

Your bike can take the abuse. Try and get someone firsthand to show you what you intend to learn.

Otherwise, here's a rolling burnout for ya.
Not that i've done that sorta thing.  
firedevil.gif

fallride12.jpg

i recommend you learn how to panic stop, trail braking , eleminate target fixation before u can learn how to do burn out but................

i always did a burn out on my tires right before i changed them.

IMO, its best to get up to speed o 50mph, ,hit the front brake gradually  then apply the gas .
Move ur buttox all the way to the front , always sitting on the tank.

u can actually accelerate from 50 to 70mph before the wheel hooks.

PLEASE DO NOT DRop the CLUTCH.

practice practic and take it slow.

(Tufbusa @ Nov. 21 2006,14:26)
(Busaman86 @ Nov. 19 2006,18:34) Clutch wheelies, you pull the clutch in, rev up to where your peak horsepower is, and pop the clutch
Burnouts:
Rolling burnouts (when you are moving), you pull the clutch in, rev up to around peak horsepower rpm, and pop the clutch out... hopefully it will be too much power for the rear tire to handle and instead of hooking, it will spin, causing a burnout
I hope you have your medical insurance paid up? If you actually put these methods to use, it wouldn't surprise me if you end up in a wheel chair?

I like the way you use the term "Hopefully" as well.  
tounge.gif

I'm not flaming you man, but damn, you have some wild ass ideas here. Even if these methods work for you, it's not the ideas you want to give a guy who has only been riding a short time.

My advise to the post author is to find yourself a mentor in your area that can go out with you and show you how to safely get started. Both wheelies and burnouts are fun and easy but takes lots of practice to master. The one thing I can tell you is if you rev your bike up to peak HP and dump the clutch you will most likely end up on the pavement. It doesn't take lots of HP or rpm's to do wheelies or burnouts. It's all about technique. The slower the rear wheel turns on a burnout the more manageable it is.

At least go buy a dvd called "Wheelies by Dummies". A great starter video by Kyle Woods. He goes thourgh the whole scene of how to set your bike up and safely get started on the right track.

Learning on your own without any guidance, you will develop all sorts of bad habits. And bad habits are very hard to break. I know because I've had every bad habit known to mankind and they are extremely hard to break. There are guys in every area that can give you guidance. Just ask around and someone will point you towards a rider who has these skills mastered. Most are willing to help you get started.
Yep, what he said!

First extend your swingarm
biggrin.gif
Then you can do burn outs to your hearts content!! I did one on the freeway (it was alittle wet) doing 60mph!!
SHOCKED.gif
And it was on purpose . It kind of scared the guy in the truck next to me. Standing burnouts are easy , just hold your front brake and clutch , give bike gas to about 6000 let clutch out and Wah-La instant smoke. Bike will squirel around from side to side but you can move it back and forth easily. I want to do happy faces now!
super.gif

df.JPG

Dang Frisbee, you are proof that red is indeed the fastest color! As a matter of fact, red is so fast you out ran your rear tire and that puppy is still trying to catch up
wow.gif

How you doing Robert? Are you getting in any riding time in all this rain? How is married life treating you? Are you still on the honeymoon?

(johnstein @ Nov. 19 2006,22:18) there is a thin line between rolling burnout and loopin the bike same thing with wheelies ! burnouts cold tire wheelies warm tire  safe bet  watch other ASSCLOWNS destroy thier bikes and tires  and youll always have the sweetest ride around , get a beater if you want to destroy somthing !
who you callin an a$$clown
poke.gif
i drag my bike at times and love roasting the tire from time to time see nothing wrong with it besides ive seen alot more bike get tore up in the twisties than i ever have doing a simple burn out ive only been riding for 34 yrs though so i may be wrong
SHOCKED.gif

Back