Did You Say "patience"?

HoboJoe

Registered
jbusa11-jpg.1571983

We will try this again with the help of my more computer savvy Son. Patience may be paying off. Seems that this has fallen into my lap this afternoon. Fella is only two hours from me and he's asking $5000.00. Says its as clean as it appears and his price is reflective of it having 25K on the clock. Well written ad. Well spoken young Man of 38. Seems to know his stuff and comports himself well. Have an appointment with him tomorrow. Advice and opinions ASAP would, as always, be greatly appreciated. Hope I got this photo thing right...Joe

j Busa1.jpg

Jbusa2.jpg

jbusa3.jpg

Does look clean and a hand full of upgrades. If it's everything you want buy it. My opinion it's not a great deal unless you would do all the little thing the previous owner has done also asking price is not what he will take I'm sure he could come down a lot. I was patient and didn't even look unless it was a great deal. I picked up a 09 about a year and half ago for 6 or 6200 it had about 13,000 miles on it.

Keep in mind that kicking the ass end out like that isn't for better cornering. 25,000 miles is less than two thou a year for an 03 but could be lots and lots of quarter mile runs. Make sure to look at the undertail for a black stripe. O ring rivet link chain or drag chain with a clip? Original clutch or race pack? Looks good in the pics but it's an old bike. Mine's an 06 and it looks great too but it's an old bike as well. Lay down next to it and look at the oil cooler and radiator fin area and high up on the forks. Clean? Good luck in the hunt. Hope it's just what you want.

Looks like it has extension blocks, check the usual, chain, sprockets, oil, brake fluid, brake pads and rotors, etc. All key components that will indicate maintenance care.

Same as everyone said. I picked up mine needing work (02 34k miles) repaired the broken and rashed parts, registered and painted for 1600$ total. My 08 b-king two years ago was 6800$ also (20k miles)

Here's the thing. I too would tend to think its made some passes at the track. The question is how many and under what conditions. While there has obviously some aftermarket work done to it I don't get the impression that it has been used solely or even primarily as a track bike. If in fact it has, someone has gone to great lengths to not make it look so. Grips, levers, mirrors, seat, even bodywork are all basically stock. Doesn't seem logical to me that someone would invest so much time and effort into making it fast and yet not swap out those items in order to complete the package. Just little things but telltale to some degree I think. I'm thinking along a Human Nature line of thought. Of course I could be mistaken. Guess I cant be sure until I get a close look at it myself. The days of long road trips are over for me and I doubt this bike will ever be more that 50 miles away from the house again should I decide to bring it home. This next one ( either this one or another) will probably be my last and I'm just looking forward to riding thru the cool-ish Spring and Fall air again. As always your input is appreciated...... Thanks

No prob man, I really hope it's the real deal. I've found some real deals myself over the years so it's definitely possible. I flew two states away to bring my 79 CBX back in 2001 and I still have and ride it. I drove to Montana in 2009 to truck back an 03 Ducati 999 I found for sale lounging around on a battery tender in the dining room of a southern Montana ranch house with 1,041 miles on it. (That's a story). My son and I drove to SoCal to buy his Triumph Sprint RS 955i. All were bought based on a final exam of course but mostly from tons of pictures and several long conversations with the seller. Only once did I run into a lying seller and the bike was nowhere near the word "perfect" he used three times in the description. Only cost me a drive to Nevada and back. Again, good luck. Personally I'd dump the extended rear end though...:laugh:

I know I am going to get backlash for this but here it goes....
I would not be too worried if it has been to the track, yes it would have been ran somewhat hard. As long as that mileage is not all passes at a track it would not worry me. Think about how you are going to hammer through a few gears if not all 6 on the street. No one on here can say they never run their hayabusa hard. If you own one and never run it hard, what the hell do you own it for?!?!?!?! It is not because of cheap insurance!!! The bikes are built very well. They can withstand a beating and run great. Yes if it was turbo, nitrous, bored over, eat I would worry about how it has been ran. I would be more worried about the guy that did wheelies all the time and came crashing down on the oil pan and headers. Lets not forget the pressure on the forks and ruined fork seals.

It is not the best deal on an 03 but like mathew said 5,000 could just be asking price!
25,000 on a busa is nothing if you check out the forum you can find guys well over that and we all have seen the one over 100,000
I say if you like it go for it!!!!

I was "not speaking precisely" but I was saying if the bike has issues there is a big chunk of the $5K in the parts, so the risk is fairly small IMHO

I live in Hawaii & just bought my 1st Busa (bike rider over 40 years, Harley's over 25 years,still have my Harley) last October, its a 2008 & had only 8,100 miles, paid $7,500. I know it wasn't ridden hard because I experienced hesitation @ 6,500 RPM & it was due to a clogged fuel pump, besides other issues. It looked really clean & still does, however, since this guy lived in a condo, maintenance was very limited. For that year, 2003, Gen i & price, I would shop around as there are always Busa's for sale & later models with low mileage. If it rides smooth through the gears, I would be concerned about what maintenance he did, or what work/maintenance was performed by a shop? Most guys keep records but don't give out this type of info, unless you ask for it, this may help you make your decision to buy or not buy. The Busa is an amazing bike, although it has its own issues, not trouble free as I previously thought, but its a bike that makes me smile more than riding my customized Harley. Aloha & happy hunting.

Back