Did throttle adjustment last night

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
After reading the board instead of reading the owners manual I discovered that my idle was a little off. At operating temperature I was hovering about 850rpms. So to take my mind off of all the dealer crap last night, I decided to adjust the idle.

Searched all over for the owners manual, finally found it… scanned for anything dealing with the idle, found the idle speed adjustment section and looked at the diagram. Scratched head a few times wondering where the throttle stop screw was located. Found the diagram of the bike in the front of the owners manual pinpointing the position of the throttle stop screw… and like a tool, started taking off the right side fairing. Of course, once I removed it, and realized that I still couldn’t get to the screw, it dawned on me that I probably wasn’t doing it the right way. Another look and a scratch of the head, popped the seat, raised the tank and bingo… there it was. Followed the procedure for idle adjustment, and amazing, the bike sounds so much better at idle. It even cleared up some of the fuel pump whine I was complaining about earlier.

So, the short of it… easy adjustment, big improvement at idle.
The long of it… not necessary to take the fairing off to reach the adjuster screw. The screw is accessible by taking the seat off and raising the tank.

Ok… now all you old timers can quit laughing at me.

<!--EDIT|LightCycle
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146010656 -->

LOL yea i did the same thing except i didnt take the fairing off...i started to and thought... maybe i'll just check the ol .org and see whats up... and wouldnt you know it... info everywhere... saved me some time!
smile.gif

yeah me too i was always used to reaching down while stoped at a light to turn the nob.

Hey LightCycle.......hehe......why go through all that parts removal work?? Take a skinny flat head screw driver and flash light to locate the idle adjustment screw (you can see it in the space between tank and frame) and carefully fit the screw driver tip into one of the notches of the screw head and make your adjustment! Try it.....you'll like it!
smile.gif

I keep mine at 1300 ish.... It floats up to 1500 and down to 1100

Make life much nicer.

Also.... check your clutch and brake lever screws... they are known to back off occasionally. Mine did after the bike got serviced.

So the normal Idle speed on these bikes should be somewhere around 1300k? I will make sure to check that when i get my bike. thanks guys!

lol, more like 1.3k I can't imagine a idle at 1300k talk about prepped for launch, I think that must be planned for the '07 they can call it the orbital launch.

Back