did the dumbest thing

could have been worse...like the guy who cut he's fingers off cleaning he's chain bcos he decided to have the bike running!!

The good news is that we learn from our mistakes...well, sooner or later.
Posted via Mobile Device

Anyhone know what torque the oil bolt should at? Might save me from stripping it too. I think I am at the high end of torqing it now.

Hey, these things happen to the best of us...just glad it's fixable and you can now sit back and giggle at yourself :)

i feel your pain, and know it well. stripped the 710 plug out of my Dyna Sturgis, the day i was leaving for Sturgis. :banghead: needless to say, i rode the Buss to Sturgis. :laugh:

sorry bout your luck. its a "sux-donut!"

When I first started working at a chevy/cadillac dealer I was putting a northstar back together after a head gasket job. Don't ask me how I did it. To this day I can't figure out how I managed to pull it off. But I left every single rag in the 8 intake ports of the heads when I put the manifold back on.... Had to pull the engine BACK out of the car, remove all the rags, make sure no valves got bent (I don't know how in the world none of them did cause that's a very close tolerance engine and some of them had a couple valves stuck open). You wanna talk about feeling like a moron.... The worst part about it is when I was walking past the engine to go get the intake I specifically remember looking at the ports and thinking "gotta pull those out before the intake goes on." Oops.... I still have some of the burned pieces of basically extremely heavy duty paper towels sitting in my roll cart. I'll never forget that screw up...:laugh:
The GM engineers that designed those northstar engines and the fools who fit the lt1/ls1 v8's in the firebirds/camaro's need a good azz kicking. Those were the most ridiculously hard to get to motors ever put in a vehicle. And the northstar engines were junk, high hp junk, but still junk :moderator: :puke: The lt1/ls1 engines were honkin' and reliable runners, as long as you didn't have to try and work on them :banghead:

I just tighten it using the index and middle finger. Once I have it snug with those to. I take hold of it and give it a little turn. Then call it good. If anything would start to leak, I would tighten it a little more. Luckily I haven't had anything leak or strip out yet.

The drain plug only needs a slight snug. I like to use alittle RTV clear to help against leaks. Just a small amount.

Last edited:
should be back together tomorrow. it happens. honestly if this is the dumbest thing i ever do to this bike i will consider myself lucky. i remember the finger loosing incident. when i think if that, this really is no big deal.

Glad yer back on the road....
Dumbest thing i ever did.. a very Biggy that could have cost me my life.
Getting interupted by a phone call while doing an oil change on my 900 Ninja 1985...it has two drain plugs.. forgot to tighten the main one..... rode 75 plus miles...lot's of twisty's on hy 49.....so now im' on interstate 80 near my destination take the off ramp put on some rear brake and there isn't any...stop and look down..oil all over the rear tire swingarm etc...thinking i just blew the rear brake line.... keep going and slow too...park the bike get off and take a look.....oil pouring out the bottom..drain plug gone. I keep thinking it Could have fallen out in the twisty's...My guardian ANGEL at work once again.
PS Uncle Steve....that was cold...I now triple check everthing i do..while wrenching... :whistle:

its not that hard to replace the oil pan. had to do it to mine on the first oil change the previous owner already had it stripped out and patched it up with plumbers tape. Glad changing the oil is the first thing i do with a new bike even if they tell me they just did it.

i got the bike back today. all fixed. one heck of a good weld job. Thanks again Craig from Extreme Performance Cycle. You saved me again.....Put about a hundred miles on it today. going to do more tomorrow... Im back BABY!!!

471.jpg

Well, since we are self disclosing our stupidity tonight...I spent half a year painting my bike...yesterday as I was putting the plastics back on around the instrument guage...i don't know WTF I was thinking...I had a long shafted allen key in one hand as I put the panel in I gouged a nice little gouge into the panels that sit up alongside the tank...my beautiful black panel now has a squiggly white snakkyy wound. I almost blew my head gasket as I screamed at myself....it only takes one second of non-diligence to mess something up....feel your pain

I did the same thing bolting the panel on my buddy's bike after I painted it with Lamborghini orange. All tht work had to be done on the side panel.

Back