Did Suzuki loose a customer?

Road Dog

Registered
In 1999 Suzuki introduced probably the best bike in the world, at the time at least. From the first introduction and test drive I read and from the first glance I got of the bike I knew that would be the bike I owned one day. It took some time, about 4 years, but as some of the readers of this board may remember it finally happened in June this year, I got my first Busa.

This was ofcourse a big deal for me and because the Busa was the first bike for me in several years it felt amazing. Could there be anything better? Didn't know at the moment for sure.

After several thousand kilometers, days and weeks on the Busa I got the chance to try out a knew GSX1000R. This led to the fact that I wasn't sure anymore if the Busa was so superior in comparison with these knew and very much improved bikes. After this test drive I got to try a R1 and loved it even more than the 900 Ninja. Ofcourse almost all of the big touring bikes FJR, ZZR1200 etc. felt great and modern too. Believe me I've tried them all!

I live in Finland but flew out to Italy and Milan to watch the big Bike exhibition just to see the new and hopefully improved Hayabusa, still the bike of my dreams, atleast by the looks. I hope You can imagine the dissapointment when I see the bike and the "new" improvements that are limited to a ****** light switch and some ugly colors?!?!

I don't know what to do anymore. The ZX-12R has more power, handles better and feels alot more "Modern" with digital meters, 200mm rear wheel etc. compared to the 5 year old "we don't care about you lovers of extreme bikes" Busa. The driving position is a little bit harder on the driver, but not that much that I was afraid of and the spare parts and maintenance for the Kawa are alot cheaper and faster here in Finland.

Regardles of all this complaining my problem is quite simple:

The ZX-12R is a better bike, but the looks of it is nothing compared to the Good old "no compromise" Busa. Still I am a tech freak, and a very much lost one. I understand the Suzuki attitude, but I hate it and I would like to give my vote to someone else...

-Pete

To be or not to be...

PS. It's not ugly, but it is not a Hayabusa

The picture that was supposed to be attached...

ZX_12R.jpg

looks like a rip off of the mighty busa.
Can't be a traitor.
good luck if you decide to defect.

Just get what fits you and your riding needs.  Lots of bikes out there.  The reason I did not get a ZX-12 before I bought the Busa, it did not feel right.  You, not anyone else, has to ride the bike and feel good on it...

Uh Yeah Dude, Go get a Kwacker it's a much better Bike! Faster, Prettier, More reliable, and gee golly 200MM rear tire, well we all know that makes it better.

Dude you have a head completely full of bad press releases. Every reason you gave to buy a Kwak is subjective and has been proven not to be the case time and again. So I say to you, Ride the Busa and know your on the best, OR Buy a Kwack then Buy Ninja Eater or Hell Myself even, A plane ticket and shipping costs so he can fly on up there and hand you your ass for a few days...Leave you cryin in your Cheerios.... Wishing you had stayed true to the fast good looking one.

Real World, Real Roads, Real Streets Busa is still the king.

I have a 02 Busa(171hp/101tor) and my friend has a 02 ZX12(175hp/95tor).  We trade every now and then, but I can't wait to get back on my Busa.  My bike just feels faster.  I have power in all gears and rpms, where his ZX12 is fast, it takes time for the power and torque to kick in.  I also feel a lot more vibration at the front of the seat.  Don't get me wrong, the ZX12 is sweet but just not for me!  The look of the Busa is different than all the others...you know when a Busa drives by.

Someone needs to read the "Grudge Match" article in Motorcyclist magazine to get the facts straight. And coming from an ex-ZX12RR owner I can tell you the Busa is better.

But if you want a more sporting chassis and don't mind giving up some high speed stability get the ZX12. It is a very nice ride and my second choice for best. But don't even think that the ZX12 is the new king. Wrong answer my friend. Busa still rules if speed is the name of the game!!

Rdog, I guess I was a bit easy on you, I can't wait to read what RSD says.
Once again, good luck!

I'm still trying to read what Ninja Eater wrote! What the? Anyway, I too was impressed with the kawi's press and looks and power and colors and a whole host of other things that look great in print. It comes down to this....ride. If you find something you like, buy it. If it is not the busa, so be it. Choose the bike that fits you and your style and your budget.
There are alot of amazing bikes out there and realistically it doesn't matter if you can do 200mph. It just isn't going to be a necesitty on a daily basis (barring racing).

There may not be a need for the Busa to have any big changes right now. I've been out of cycling for a number of years now, but I'm ready to get back on a bike again and I'm looking for three things in a bike....

1-Top notch power and quickness with good handling

2-Comfortable riding position, not only for me, but for my wife when she chooses to tag along

3-Stylish looks

After a few weeks of research of what bikes are available, I quickly narrowed down my search to two bikes. The ZX-12R and the Busa. The main reasons that I will probably choose the Busa is due to it's more comfortable riding position (for me anyway), and it's lower RPM torque. I think the ZX-12 requires higher RPM's if I'm not mistaken.

So, from my perspective it looks like the Busa is still a very attractive bike in an extremely competitive environment. The Busa's got the speed, power and handling, while not sacrificing on the rider comfort as much as some of the other sport bikes. This is just my opinion, and being a newbie on this board, I may be out to lunch with this opinion :D

I think the important thing is for you to buy what you feel is right for you, but Suzuki may not feel the need for any big changes at this time on the Busa, which has become quite a flagship model for them :cool:

Uh Yeah Dude, Go get a Kwacker it's a much better Bike!  Faster, Prettier, More reliable, and gee golly 200MM rear tire, well we all know that makes it better.  

Dude you have a head completely full of bad press releases.  Every reason you gave to buy a Kwak is subjective and has been proven not to be the case time and again.  So I say to you, Ride the Busa and know your on the best, OR Buy a Kwack then Buy Ninja Eater or Hell Myself even, A plane ticket and shipping costs so he can fly on up there and hand you your ass for a few days...Leave you cryin in your Cheerios....  Wishing you had stayed true to the fast good looking one.  

Real World, Real Roads, Real Streets Busa is still the king.
Sorry but I could not help laughing. I needed a good laugh today. :bounce: :bounce:

I'm still trying to read what Ninja Eater wrote! What the? Anyway, I too was impressed with the kawi's press and looks and power and colors and a whole host of other things that look great in print. It comes down to this....ride. If you find something you like, buy it. If it is not the busa, so be it. Choose the bike that fits you and your style and your budget.
There are alot of amazing bikes out there and realistically it doesn't matter if you can do 200mph. It just isn't going to be a necesitty on a daily basis (barring racing).
Point taken, too many things at one time again. I went back and did an edit. :D :D

The ZX-12R is a better bike, but the looks of it is nothing compared to the Good old "no compromise" Busa. Still I am a tech freak, and a very much lost one. I understand the Suzuki attitude, but I hate it and I would like to give my vote to someone else...
okay, now go find a zx-12 board and quit slammin our bikes on our board.

don't let the door hit ya on the way out! :vader:

Rdog sounds like a Kawi lover in disguise... On top of all things above just mentioned on why I chose the Busa over the 12R... (Previous Bike, ZX7R)

1. Easier to Mod
2. Much more refined (The 12 looks pretty raw)
3. Mechanical Problems Noted to the 12
4. Most noted reviews note the Busa as the better top speeder.
5. The 12 looks like any other Kawi bike out there...

Cloud

In my humble opinion, the ZX-12R is almost as good as our beloved Hayabusa. The Suzuki is more stylish and unique. The Kawa looks like every other bike out there.
There a few bikes to be released next year which are very nice with modern lines, light weights and huge power in the upper rpms, but all of them lack something. The Hayabusa is the most complete bike in the world right now. Mariage material!

I do think Zook could have freshened up the Busa a little bit. Even just updated gauges or something. In a perfect world I would have a Busa and a liter bike.

I agree a little freshening would be nice, but right now the Busa is still the most unique looking Sportbike on the road hands down. The GSXR1000 is now following in the footsteps for good or evil. But point is After looking at the 2004 linup from Japan, I am once again really happy to be on the Busa. I mean every other bike out there looks alike, and are getting even more alike.

Hell, From more than about 5 feet I will be hard pressed to tell one Kwak from another be it 600, 636, 900, 1000, and yeah 1200. They all look alike, Honda and Yamaha are doing the same thing...WTF? IF nothing else 2 years form now when someone drops a real bomb on the bike market and relagates the Busa to just another bike status, it'll still be a unique looking, performing machine...

I considered a ZX-12R when I bought my busa. The Cow fit me better but I went with the Busa primarily because it's a much bike for carrying a passenger.  In two months I've really been impressed with it, the torque is great, and am glad I didn't get the ZX12.

The things that didn't draw me to the kawi include the 200mm tire. Who cares? I just ordered a 180 for my busa so it will turn a bit better. The more modern arguement doesn't hold much water in my opinion.

kawis do not have the build quality of suzuki or the lower rpm tourque,(although i do want a digital speedo,are you listening suzuki?) plus everyone turns and looks at the bus. go buy your kwak that looks like everything else. seeya.

Pete - Ignore the blow-hard, loyalist crap (really, what did you expect) and just get what fits you and works for you.  Plain and simple.  Then, don't look back because the grass isn't really greener.

Want to hear something funny?  I'm a diehard Kawi guy who's looking at the Busa.  Frankly, I don't think there's a thimbleful of cold spit difference between them, and that on a good day.  I find the 12r sexier, but I think the Busa is more distinctive.  I like the amazing rush of power on the 12r, and the effortless torque of the Busa.  I like the handling of the 12r, and the stability of the Busa.  As far as I'm concerned there's nothing like the 12r -- but then again I haven't spent nearly enough time on a Busa to make a reasonable and informed comparison.      

Actually, I think what I need is a Hayasaki Kawibusa...  Know where I can get one of those??

Steve

Back