Did oil change now it wont start...smh!!

Krudd93

Registered
Just changed the oil in my 01 like norm... dropped oil then spun it without starting it all the way as usual, then removed oil filter an replaced with the new filter. Filled the bike with new oil checked the levels which are fine then went to turn it over an now it wont start.... I always put it up on a rear stand for easy access nothing is different about the oil change... trying to start it an all she does is cough but not turn over.. I hit it with starter fluid an it turned over but right back off it went.... any ideas... I lifted the tank to make sure nothing was pinched or loose....not a thing!!

Starter fluid in a gas engine washes the cylinder clean where diesel the fuel is already light oil . Never a good thing to use on engines . If one mus WD40 as it will combust also , but wont wash a cylinder like starting fluid.
Best to start looking at fuses , and check battery voltage under load with a DC multi meter

I always say check the obvious stuff. With that said, did you put the fresh oil in the crankcase or the fuel tank!

Sorry. So I assume it was running before you did the oil change right? If it had been sitting awhile before the oil change it might have had a problem prior to the change. Sounds like you know your way around the bike and there isn't too much you can do in an oil change to make her not fire up. So I would treat this as a non-starting bike and coincidental to the oil change.

Kick stand switch?
Bad gas - how old?
Fuel pressure?

I always say check the obvious stuff. With that said, did you put the fresh oil in the crankcase or the fuel tank!

Sorry. So I assume it was running before you did the oil change right? If it had been sitting awhile before the oil change it might have had a problem prior to the change. Sounds like you know your way around the bike and there isn't too much you can do in an oil change to make her not fire up. So I would treat this as a non-starting bike and coincidental to the oil change.

Kick stand switch?
Bad gas - how old?
Fuel pressure?
Same gas station all time,oil went in crank case . Just came out shop for front wheel bearings. Rode it home, have a couple bikes in the garage so I was working on one an starting it up moving it around with no problems.... started up right before the oil change no problems..

Starter fluid in a gas engine washes the cylinder clean where diesel the fuel is already light oil . Never a good thing to use on engines . If one mus WD40 as it will combust also , but wont wash a cylinder like starting fluid.
Best to start looking at fuses , and check battery voltage under load with a DC multi meter
Will do an thanks for that tip... never thought about wd40.

Kick stand switch?
Bad gas - how old?
Fuel pressure?

Don't forget the clutch lever. I've forgotten about that a few times when I first take the busa out of storage.

Is there a procedure for spinning it like you did during the oil change? I was wondering if the plugs became fouled from that. If disconnecting the coils or such, are they seated properly now?
Ive hit the starter to make so mostly all of the oil out of the bike... 5th bike same process never a problem. BUUUUUTTTT THATS WHY I Post... no spark check plugs.. thank for that....and I usually use both stands but only used 1 so bike was tilted forward... an tried to start it like that...

Back