did my first track day

superbusaman

Registered
did my first track day at watkins glen today(keith code superbike school) i put a woppin 44 miles on!!!
rant.gif
and all but i think 5 laps were on dry track. and iam not talking just alittle wet, soaked. i dont know how they can justify sending people out there in weather like that, the only thing that ended up stopping the day was lightning. i didnt even get the tires all the over to the edge or did i even rub off the little nipple type things on new tires(:p) but i do have to say that the pilot powers were really good in the wet, never felt them slipping unless i was going over a tar strip. so basically between tires, cost of track day and leather pants i spent about 1000, but iam gonna get 100 off next time i go, what a bargin. and pretty much all i can take away from this expierence is that u can go faster then u think on wet rodes(but why) and well thats about it, what they taught in level one was pretty basic stuff that i would think anyone attempting a trackday should already know. ok sorry for the long post iam just annoyed!!!

Well, using an economy of motorcycling - the stuff that you bought you'll need for any subsequent track days, so in addition to the $100 bucks off, you will also only have to pay the cost of the day itself... And it isn't like you can't use the stuff you got right? Just trying to find the silver lining in your clouds...

I recently made a deal with my wife... When I retire from the military, somewhere between three and a half and four years from now, I will be selling back 1 month of leave and using the money to go to Kevin's school! I haven't been to an actual track day yet, just taken a few laps around two tracks and man - do I have the itch!

Actually I liked Fredies school in Vegas better ! And while your flying around the track (thinking your as good as Rossi ) , HERE COME FREDDIE, passing you on the outside on his VFR with a passenger  
wow.gif

HOW HUMBLING  
blush.gif

out of the 12 plus trackdays I've done, I only had one that ended up being too cold and wet. I agree, it was worse than miserable and seemed way too dangerous. weather is simply a gamble.

go to a warm dry trackday and you will experience cycling nervana like you never have before. just ask anyone on here that has gone on a good day. they will tell you

YOu can actually learn a lot from riding in the wet. Smoothness w/throttle control, corner entry/exit speed, braking, etc. You are right, it is possible to ride the track at a very fast pace. But why risk it if there isn't a championship at stake?

Sorry the wet put a damper on things though.

That's the gamble with trackdays, weather...

But I'm sure you learned a lot riding aggressively in the wet and NOT crashing
beerchug.gif

Sorry about the weather, it does kinda burst the ballon. Even a well planned road ride can be dishearted by weather. I've only done acouple along time ago. One was kinda damp and I felt the same way at first. Than I realized later I did learn alot the next time I road in the rain. All the points that were mentioned above are really good ones, excellent ones actually. Hope the next one is better.

Did a track day in november last year at Barber in the rain and cold. You do learn alot. Nothing like saving a slide at 80 mph on a off camber corner...uphill. did not crap for a week. pucker factor 10!!

Sorry to hear that weather wasn't your friend. I'm doing the two day Code School at Barber in 18 days, so I'm hoping the weather is nice.

I am with the others.....sorry about the bad weather.

Trackdays are addictive, I hope your next one brings great weather.

Welcome to track CRACK... I probably learned more than you think. I just got back from two days at Barber with STT.

DSC05716.jpg

I have been  on that track,I am in buffalo so its a few hours away if that,It is an awesome road coarse,Really big and  
firedevil.gif
fast!!!

I've been to track days where they stated, "If we ride in the rain, you ride in the rain." I don't go with them anymore. I haven't had a rainy track day yet either. Mostly HOT, 107 on two different days...makes the tires sticky!
firedevil.gif

Back