Did I screw up my gauges?

yzguyfl

Registered
Now when I turn on the key, the lights come on for the gauges, but the gauges don’t move, and no numbers come on for the time or the odometer.

I did mess up, I plugged in one of these lights backwards by accident at first
StarRotors.com - Headlight Bulbs/LEDs

I did not think anything happened, but then when I went to start it up, I noticed the gauges.
Bike seems to run and drive fine.

anyone know what could make all of them stop working? (maybe some fuse I don't know of, or some ground or something?)

Try making sure the cluster electrical connector is plugged back in tightly.
HID kits can messup the gauge cluster if the balast it located too close, but I don't think it's that since the clock and odo aren't lighting.
I don't think it's a fuse. If I remember correctly the gauge power and the cluster lighting are on the same fuse.

Also, check the pins on the back of the cluster to make sure none are recessed. I'd think if the plug wasn't in tight, the lights for them wouldn't come on. Do you have a multimeter?

Also, check the pins on the back of the cluster to make sure none are recessed. I'd think if the plug wasn't in tight, the lights for them wouldn't come on. Do you have a multimeter?

The light power comes on a different pin than the instrumentation power. If the plug is on crooked and not seated properly, one pin can have connection while the other doesn't.

Bent/recessed pin could also be the problem.

Ouch, this is why I don't change the face of mine. I'd take it to a shop and pay them, that way there responsible for it :laugh:

great news!! I pulled the cluster, removed the connector, put it back in, and it powered up!! looks like there was some sort of loose connection. I looked at the connector and nothing looks loose or pushed in, so I put it all back together, and all is good.

Didn't one member here find out the bike would not run without the gauge cluster. I am surprised the bike ran without the connector fully engaged. Glad you fixed the problem.

great news!! I pulled the cluster, removed the connector, put it back in, and it powered up!! looks like there was some sort of loose connection. I looked at the connector and nothing looks loose or pushed in, so I put it all back together, and all is good.
The cluster may have just needed a reset as well, but you got it and that's all that matters :thumbsup:

The cluster may have just needed a reset as well, but you got it and that's all that matters :thumbsup:

Yeah. or maybe the earth was at a axias causing the protons to flow erractily for a nano second,, anyways you fixed it Champ! Take it a part again.:poke: Yay... another 56K+ posts and I will be just like DO3

Back