Did i miss something when i lowered her ?

social_engineer

Registered
I get a weird "shakey/wobble" coming from the front, when I slightly "wiggle my bars" on normal, straight cruising on the road. I'm on my 2nd busa, having owned and done this before on my '03 copper busa, only w/ dog bones (#2 hole, 2") and a tripletree (1" lower on front) I never experienced any shakiness, until I did the same thing on my recent '06. This time, I purchased a set of quality dog bones, lowered it again, 2" (#2 hole)... adjusted the front, approx 1" lower w/ tripletree and recent had a flat, so I replaced w/ tire (professionally mounted & balanced). Now, when I ride, especially between 60-90 mph, even the slightest wiggle of the bars, I get a nasty quick wobble, which I can safely pull out of . The behavior is also the same on turns ... I've doublechecked my rear tire and the wear is perfectly centered. All bolts and such apprear to be tight and I left the stock suspension settings .... what could it be? I'm 225# ... and I use the bike for street, primarily. Any ideas or am I just smokin' crack? I had my bro in law, who rides a non modified ZX12R ride it and says he felt the same wobble, but it appears to be normal. I on the other hand, think I did something wrong. Any advice would be helpful, before I end up going crazy here.

<!--EDIT|social_engineer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154571664 -->

...recent had a flat, so I replaced w/ tire (professionally mounted & balanced). Now, when I ride, especially on 60-90 mph, even the slightest wiggle of the bars, I get a nasty quick wobble, which I can safely pull out of . The behavior is also the same on turns ...
I'd suspect the tire and/or mounting/balancing job.

My last bike did this. If I hit a bump or into a turn it would go into a 'death wobble'. A few of them were pretty violent!

All of it went away when I replaced the front tire.

FWIW...

The problem is, I had the *rear* tire replaced. Bought a back stock tire on 58cycle, removed the rim, took it to the local Suzuki dealer, had them replace the tire, balance it, etc --- put it on, as perfect as I could ... now this
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|social_engineer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154575405 -->

Update: Day 2:

Ok, here's what I did so far .... checked tire pressure, front is : 36 cold, rear was 32 cold. I'll have to fix that next time I ride. I then, based on someone else's recommendations, verified length from front to rear axles ... it's about 152 cm on both sides, so I think I have that rear tire on there next to perfect. The wear is dead center and indicates even wear, as well. I've hardened both front and rear suspension settings by 1 click, to match my weight. I finally verified that both front and rear weights, are still there, but will end up having it rebalanced, if I run out of stuff to check ... anyone else have any suggestions?

Fork seal leaking?
rock.gif
Or when you lowered your front did your forks get out of alignment?

another thing that you may want to try is adding at least a few clicks of compression damping on the shock

i am under 160 and when i had my bike lowered 1'' i added 2 clicks of compression damping to get it somewhat right

when you change the length of the dogbones you are making a big change to the progression of the suspension

Quote (Jtonda @ Aug. 04 2006,17:40)
Quote (frisbee @ Aug. 04 2006,00:44)
Fork seal leaking? Or when you lowered your front did your forks get out of alignment?

+1

+2 [/QUOTE]

+3 Does it pull when you brake?

No it doesn't pull when I brake. Both front tubes are perfectly alligned at the top of the tree and the distance top of the cast fork end the the bottom of the fork seal dust cover on both sides matches.

Back