Did i hurt it?

BUSAFETT

Registered
Yesterday I rode my Busa to the air show in Willow Grove PA. It was a blast to check out, and the event was awesome until......... it came time to leave the base. Traffic was backed up and non-moving for 45 minutes, with me smack dab in the middle of it. Temps reached 95 degrees yesterday, and as I sat in line I watched the temp gauge go up and up and up.. I finally shut down the bike to avoid an overheat- The traffic moved a bit, so I started up the bike, only to go 2 feet and stop again- So, I ended up having to shut down again. I did this a total of 3 times as we got closer to the exit, to the point where on the 3rd startup, you could hear the battery was dying from all the starts.. So, again we eeked forward, and the temp started to climb.. At this point, it was either shut off the bike and possibly not be able to start it anymore, or let it go into the red.. I let it go into the red (at the lowest point in the red), and it was there for probably 2-3 minutes, to where I finally shut it off again. Right when I did that, guess what happens.. They start letting our lane thru! @!#$)(!#($)#@($)#($@

I had to try a few times to get her to start, but she finally fired up- I wanted to flip off all of the staff at the base, as before this I've had absolutely ZERO issues with my bike. It was a 2 hr commute home, and all the way the gauge never went back up after the engine got some air in her, and I didn't notice any other issues- But my question is, did I hurt my bike and just haven't seen the effects yet?

BUSAFETT

If it would have been hurt by overheating you would have known it then and there. if all seems normal now don't sweat it. these are pretty forgiving engines from what I've seen. was your fan going on and off?

Same thing happened to me when I bought the bike... No ill effects to date.

Not hurt, but you should recharge the battery if it's low with a low rate charger, no more than 2 amp. Don't expect the bikes system to do it, you could over tax it leading to more problems
sad.gif

Mine got so hot it DIDN'T start and she runs like a striped azz Ape! A Muzzy fan will help quite a bit. Easiest to install that when you swap out the exhaust for a full system and remove the Pair Valve plumbing
smile.gif
You know You'er gonna so may as well do it now
laugh.gif

did your fan not kick on? im not sure about the stock fan but with my muzzy aluminum fan i can let the bike sit and it wont climb to 3/4 on the guage. no where near the red.

Yesterday I rode my Busa to the air show in Willow Grove PA.  It was a blast to check out, and the event was awesome until......... it came time to leave the base.  Traffic was backed up and non-moving for 45 minutes, with me smack dab in the middle of it.  Temps reached 95 degrees yesterday, and as I sat in line I watched the temp gauge go up and up and up..  I finally shut down the bike to avoid an overheat-  The traffic moved a bit, so I started up the bike, only to go 2 feet and stop again-  So, I ended up having to shut down again.  I did this a total of 3 times as we got closer to the exit, to the point where on the 3rd startup, you could hear the battery was dying from all the starts..  So, again we eeked forward, and the temp started to climb..  At this point, it was either shut off the bike and possibly not be able to start it anymore, or let it go into the red..  I let it go into the red  (at the lowest point in the red), and it was there for probably 2-3 minutes, to where I finally shut it off again.  Right when I did that, guess what happens..  They start letting our lane thru!  @!#$)(!#($)#@($)#($@

I had to try a few times to get her to start, but she finally fired up-  I wanted to flip off all of the staff at the base, as before this I've had absolutely ZERO issues with my bike.  It was a 2 hr commute home, and all the way the gauge never went back up after the engine got some air in her, and I didn't notice any other issues-  But my question is, did I hurt my bike and just haven't seen the effects yet?

BUSAFETT
Thats odd...I've been in that same exact situation and my Busa never went over halfway on the temp guage...thats with the coolant from the factory and everything stock. I'd check to be sure your systems up to snuff. Was your fan coming on at all?

If it would have been hurt by overheating you would have known it then and there.  if all seems normal now don't sweat it.  these are pretty forgiving engines from what I've seen.  was your fan going on and off?
Thanks all for your responses- Yep, the fan was running, but man I'm tellin ya it was HOT out that day, and I was sitting directly behind a pickup who was basically launching their exhaust right into the intake of my Busa.

I think you are all correct, that it's OK. I never had one issue after that all the way home- I just sweated bullets.

BUSAFETT

now if water shot out of your overflow....thats bad

i'd go with a muzzy fan. it makes a huge difference. also check on engine ice when you replace the coolant

I doubt if you hurt it if it was running ok on the way home. I broke my busa in on a long group ride in 100+ temps last year, and the temp guage went up a a bit with no ill effects. Check the level of the coolant, and also check your oil for traces of coolant. If you had a head gasket problem chances are you would find some coolant or foaming in the oil. I would recommend installing a battery tender on your bike, and keep it hooked up when not riding. It will keep your battery in tip top shape especially during the winter months.

I would suggest changing the radiator coolant to water mix for hot summers if it ever becomes a problem again.

SteelHead

Back