DID I DO THE RIGHT THING..WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT TIME

brahmabull421

Registered
okay..im going to say that i am not a
newbie.gif
but i am also going to say that i am not an experienced rider..so somewhere in the middle..

anyhow..last weekend i rode with BUSAHAYA and some friends at the santa monica mountains...it was a good ride except for one of our buddies eating it on a medium left hairpin sweeper which was not all that bad except that the turn kind of ends up in a downhill grade...

moving on to my question...i was in front of my friend who fell..but before this happened i too was comin in the same turn kind of quick...as from my past experiences.. i know if you come into a turn which you can not handle..dont panic and just lean it over as much as you can..well i did this whole leaning thing and i even scraped my top left of my boot doing this..im not trying to drag a knee but if worse comes to worse..i will try and slide my ass to the side just to get more leverage...well as i get the bike leaned i noticed that both my tires where still drifting off to the right ALMOST goin off to the gravel part...surely i thought i was goin to eat it myself but i stayed calm and rode through it and applied minimal throttle... which brought my line back to the left side...my question to some of you hardcore twistie riders are...even though i had her leaned like crazy...am i still doin somethiing wrong as to why was she still driftin off to the side?? or do i have to just throttle out kind of easy like i did before??? yes my tires are still good..so are my chicken strips
biggrin.gif
(that is why im workin da canyons)...i guess any tips would be appreciated..
tounge.gif

You did good by trusting the bike and leaning and applying minimal throttle smoothly, no jerking and staying calm.  Also remember to look where you want to go, it actually makes it easier to lean.  As far as drifting, maybe the road surface wasn't clean and then you found some clean road.  Also if you're hitting your boot first, you need to reposition your foot.  The more you get off the bike, the less your bike has to lean for the same amount of turn.  To practice safely would be at a track, but if that's not in the budget, buy a track technique book, find a slower long sweeper, enter the corner a little slow and accelerate and lean as you go thru it.  That lets you practice leaning technique without entering the corner too hot. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125716914 -->

Buy Nick Inatechs book "Sport Riding Techniques" -
poke.gif
i already have it...i guess figuring that if i lean it more that it would do some justice on clearing a turn...boy am i wrong...time in the saddle really helps huh?.....i guess the experience helped me out a lot also...i would really love to learn more in the track but i guess for now..i should be taking it more easy...

...You did good by not giving any jerky inputs to the the throtle mate!! But the best way into a lean is always to get the bike to the right speed, before you go into the turn... and as charlesbusa said, the "The look, where you want to go" always works!!

was the curve off camber? that can cause you to drift out also

If I start to push I get my but off the seat to the side on every turn. It has saved me more than once by giving me a lot of lean angle to use just in case. When in that tight spot it also helps if you try to position your head as if you are trying to look at yourself in the mirror but keeping it low. (Not a pro, just the humble opinoin of a slow track rider.)

+1 ON THE SPORT RIDING TECHNIQUES BOOK. I BOUGHT IT LAST YEAR AND REALIZED I HAVE IMPROVED MY RIDING TECHNIQUE CONSIDERABLY. THOSE HAIR PIN TURNS ARE NO LONGER INTIMIDATING.

i definately agree with "look where you want to go" ,but also,keep moving your head from a point nearly in front of the bike right through to the vanishing point. when you do this you are less likely to have target fixation and end up in the weeds,also if there is any uneven surfaces/debris you will notice it faster.

You mention that the left-hamder had a downhill grade on the exit, that probably contributed to your drift out as it has the affect of making the corner even sharper due to the negative camber.

When you were eyeballing the curve and dialing in the lean angle, you probably estimated for a flat curve, but this one was sloping away from you , so you needed even more lean to compensate (assuming everything else stayed the same i.e. no more brake input, throttle adjustment, body position changes, tire slippage, suspension loading etc.)

Two more things:

1) Congratulations on staying calm and making it through.

2) Next time, don't go into the corner so hot/fast (especially on the street where you need a generous safety reserve.) Instead, come into the corner slow and deep enough that you get a good look at your exit, then make your lean, keep it smooth, then apply power out of the curve when you are as straight as possible. This technique is faster and safer than coming in hot because it allows the suspension to settle and gives you time to accurately judge the bend without having to make corrections mid-corner. You don't want to be making sudden adjustments when you're fully cranked/committed.

Hey dude, once again stay calm, and always brake before the corner, and most of all look where you want to go , not focusing on where you could end up, ride on!!

if you still got that much strip left you just need to get more comfortable on the bike..

try running a section of road you know pretty good without using the brakes..

that will help push your comfort levels a bit.. while leaving a good "oh crap!" way out.. IE... the brakes.

Back