Did I do that?!? (clutch Issue)

Jake918

Road Warrior
Registered
Today, I was stopped at a red light, letting the beast beneath me catch its breath. A few moments went by, and "green"... right as im rappin' out about 7500rpm(in 1rst), And "VRRUMM!!!" Then the engine, and the needle both top WAY out, but the "power-band" Feeling of acceleration that I LOVE crave so bad, wasn't there. At first, I thought an accidental rollin' burn-out maybe? or a Flat Tire in progress But "No Way!" I thought. By this time, I was rollin bout at 55mph, and then tasted the absolute fear of my my back tire goin' down, and doin me doin "blood Cart-Wheels" down the HWY...:please:... So I safely came to a dead stop on the side of the pavement. Did A quick check-list on my possibilities,and just as I feared...nothing wrong with the tire, Chain, or Cain tension, and then DUH:whistle:...the CUTCH?! "Theres just no way" I thought with the very short life of the clutch and bike , But it was undeniable. Just as it sank in, with this being my first mechanical scare on my Black Beauty, I had to get a 2nd oppinion from my buddy; who is far more expierenced than me.Off he goes. Shortly after he left he pulls back in my yard confirming my clutch theory, but also to both of our huge surprise's, of such a short clutch life (2700mi), The clutch will work flawlessly at low speeds, but when you twist the throttle decently fast, the rpm's just rap way out, with no change of speed. The best way I can describe this feeling is to imagine coasting in 1rst gear, then pullin' the trigger, and feelin like the back tire was just spinning in place or something. I just know that clutch should lasted ALOT longer. And I still don't understand. I want to know if there has been other simular clutch issues with anyone else's Gen II Busa as well. And/Or any other info reguarding this problem or sollutions for it. Will the warranty most likely pick up the bill?:please:.....( bike is two months old)

I don't abuse it though... no burn-outs, I do'nt "ride" the clutch, and the OLNY time that lever is pulled in is precisely between gears. never "over downshifting", "Poppin" it while in too Low of a gear, or do things A pissed off/rookie teen would do on it... I think its just a **** clutch, myself...

What kind of oil are you using? I had a Yamaha several years ago that started slipping really bad when I put a full synthetic car oil in it. The clutch plate material was polished to a nice shiny layer.

Funny you say that, because my friend who gave it a test-ride, along with a certified "ex-suzuki mechanic" diagnosis (haha) said the exact same bout his old busa, (same happend to him) we confirmed mine was non-syntc too...

Check and make sure you don't have loose posts or bolts in your clutch cover/basket............. any ticking noise ?

I get 75 miles a clutch, so your miliage isn't too bad. Just depends on your prospective.

Busa Clutch is a very simple design.
Take right side fairing off.
Lean bike to left side.
Take clutch cover off.
Remove M6 bolts and springs on cover.
Check for loose studs (the things the bolts go into) and locktite as necessary.
Good time to consider a Brocks clutch kit...

Now the technical. Remove clutch, and measure total pack thickness. It should be within service limit of around 2.005 inches or greater (from memory). If its under 2.00 inches, you need new fibers. Stay away from aftermarket. Stock is best. Thats what guys with 400 hp turbos run. Thats what you should run. Steels rarely need replacing, but you should check them for warp. Your symptoms don't seem to indicate warp, but check anyway on flat surface. with 200 grit sandpaper or equivilent scotchbrite, remove all the bluing from the steels. This is important step. Put the steels and fibers back in exactly the same order. Take notes how they go. Oil up the fibers and steels, for at least 24 hours before install. I don't know why. Just do it. Put the pack in, and bolt on the cover.

Average install time = 2.38 beers.:laugh:

Today, I was stopped at a red light, letting the beast beneath me catch its breath. A few moments went by, and "green"... right as im rappin' out about 7500rpm(in 1rst), And "VRRUMM!!!" Then the engine, and the needle both top WAY out, but the "power-band" Feeling of acceleration that I LOVE crave so bad, wasn't there. At first, I thought an accidental rollin' burn-out maybe? or a Flat Tire in progress But "No Way!" I thought. By this time, I was rollin bout at 55mph, and then tasted the absolute fear of my my back tire goin' down, and doin me doin "blood Cart-Wheels" down the HWY...:please:... So I safely came to a dead stop on the side of the pavement. Did A quick check-list on my possibilities,and just as I feared...nothing wrong with the tire, Chain, or Cain tension, and then DUH:whistle:...the CUTCH?! "Theres just no way" I thought with the very short life of the clutch and bike , But it was undeniable. Just as it sank in, with this being my first mechanical scare on my Black Beauty, I had to get a 2nd oppinion from my buddy; who is far more expierenced than me.Off he goes. Shortly after he left he pulls back in my yard confirming my clutch theory, but also to both of our huge surprise's, of such a short clutch life (2700mi), The clutch will work flawlessly at low speeds, but when you twist the throttle decently fast, the rpm's just rap way out, with no change of speed. The best way I can describe this feeling is to imagine coasting in 1rst gear, then pullin' the trigger, and feelin like the back tire was just spinning in place or something. I just know that clutch should lasted ALOT longer. And I still don't understand. I want to know if there has been other simular clutch issues with anyone else's Gen II Busa as well. And/Or any other info reguarding this problem or sollutions for it. Will the warranty most likely pick up the bill?:please:.....( bike is two months old)

i DRAG RACE And run the hell out of it on the street and stock clutches in the bike i put the Brocks Clutch mod it helped big time

Yep a recall there was and as Draco states "Stock" plates is the way to go :thumbsup:
On the oiling of plates ............. smooth clutch operation. Busa's tend to dry their plates out which can cause sticky and shuddering clutch operation. A common trick is to overfill the motor with oil (don't start) and then tie the clutch lever in over night which allows oil to get up into clutch pack. You can rotate motor over every few hours also to make sure clutch pack gets a good soaking. Drain oil back to correct level and jobs done.
Evil was just looking at your Jaffa >>>>>>>>>> damn there fast :laugh: see how it's even left your back wheel behind :rofl:

Last edited:
Yep a recall there was and as Draco states "Stock" plates is the way to go :thumbsup:
On the oiling of plates ............. smooth clutch operation. Busa's tend to dry their plates out which can cause sticky and shuddering clutch operation. A common trick is to overfill the motor with oil (don't start) and then tie the clutch lever in over night which allows oil to get up into clutch pack. You can rotate motor over every few hours also to make sure clutch pack gets a good soaking. Drain oil back to correct level and jobs done.
Evil was just looking at your Jaffa >>>>>>>>>> damn there fast :laugh: see how it's even left your back wheel behind :rofl:

Okay, Just got off the phone with the dealer here in town, and he said that my clutch isn't under any warentee... so what did I miss? ??? (what recall)

Back