Did a "Truck Touch" last Saturday

mcoyote

Registered
This isn't really a ride report, but I just wanted relate a little effort I am proud of. This last Saturday, my son's preschool (SSNS) held a "truck touch," where a bunch of big vehicles (fire trucks, school buses, police cars, etc.) showed up and families paid a couple of bucks so their kids could run around all over them, press the buttons, and generally look at cool stuff.

I was one of a couple of designated "motorcycle guys." Another guy I didn't get to meet showed with a couple of dirt bikes and a GSX-R track bike. I had the Hayabusa, and I tricked it out with the GPS, the cargo rack, etc. More importantly, however, I brought three helmets and sets of gaudy leather and CF riding gloves. I also had my 'Stitch hanging from a whiteboard I set up with a "parent FAQ" with answers to questions like "how fast does it go?"

I got to stand there in my full leathers for four hours shuttling kids on and off the bike. Fortunately it was cool and the beef empanadas from the food tent next door kept coming.

In short, I'm lucky I had the center stand installed because the kids were all over it like a cheap suit -- from some just shy of two years old (had to be plopped on the seat, usually didn't want a helmet) to ten (climbed on, feet on the pegs, helmet and gloves, going "vrrrooom vrrooom!" as they twisted the throttle). Kids of all description, both girls and boys, all wanted to get on the bike and be a biker for a few minutes.

(I obliged by adjusting the mirrors so that the "rider" and "passenger" could see their faces when they got geared up).

To a one, the first thing a kid did when I slowly eased the helmet on their head was to look at their reflections, grin ear-to-ear, and then snap down the visor with one gloved finger while watching themselves. Sometimes siblings would climb on together (boys in front sometimes, girls other times), and parents would snap pictures, and sometimes the parents would climb on and gear up themselves while their kids held the camera.

And there were some kids, usually the older ones, who just got that *look*, when they climbed on board. This was usually followed by lots of questions, about bikes and riding, which I answered faithfully, punctuated by minutes of just *staring* at the bike beneath them. Usually, these kids (boys and girls) had to be reminded to give some others a turn, but they were always back later.

Fun stuff. There were about four occasions where guys would tell me -- through their children, usually -- about how they had to give up their Harley or couldn't get a bike because mommy wasn't into it once they got married (e.g., "yes, honey, daddy used to have a bike like this but mommy though it wasn't a good idea to keep it once you were born...*sniff* *sob*"). Also a few "I'd better not know any more because I'd get one."

Lots of questions about when I would and wouldn't ride (which I enjoy, because it takes a lot to keep me off two wheels), and more than a few retellings of close calls with kids wearing T-shirts and shorts on their sport bikes in dense traffic ("what can you do about guys like that?"). From what I was told, I did great business, better than some of the bigger, bling-ier vehicles, possibly because I was strategically next to the food tent.

On another note, I did hear that my son was so stuck on one of the dirt bikes that the owner had to start it up to scare him off of it (my wife ok'ed this exit strategy). Exactly how small do those little Hondas get?

Mcoyote,

You are a cool Dad! This story reminds me of my Dad when I was younger. I wish you and your family the best of luck! Keep up the good work.

Josh :D

Excellent!
Kids are always staring at the bikes and watching you put your helmet on in a parking lot. It must have been so exciting to get on the bike for themselves.

I believe Honda still make the little XR50. Should run right about $1K, finding a good used one should be pretty simple though. $600 Probably, start the kids off real young, you'll have a dirt expert by 12-13... Oh and the kid will think your a hero, not to mention it makes an excellent behavioral bargaining chip...

Yeah, I rode mine to my cousin's house the other night. His three year old twins (boy and girl) went nuts! They just had to sit on it. Grins ear to ear and stuff... I had a blast watchin' the amazement in their eyes. It was like they'd seen the biggest toy they had ever seen and got to play on it.

As fun as it was for me with the twins, I can only imagine how much fun it was doin' it all day! Good on ya fer lettin' the kiddies check out the bike, man! That's something they'll remember for a long time. How much ya wanna bet at least half of 'em ask fer a motorcycle for Christmas now? :super: :laugh:

the cargo rack, etc.

On another note, I did hear that my son was so stuck on one of the dirt bikes that the owner had to start it up to scare him off of it (my wife ok'ed this exit strategy). Exactly how small do those little Hondas get?
Cargo rack!?! Please show me...
Where'd you get it?
How much?
Do I sound eager enough?

Honda makes (or made) a Z50. seat height is less than 18" off the ground.  Perfect for the 5-6 year to adult range.  4 stroke 3 speed no clutch, (well centrifigual anyway) tractor. I taught all my kids on a used one I picked up for $175.  Admitedly deals like that don't come around often.  Great starter bike.  

Second bike is a Honda CR60. Little mini rocket ship, just like the real full sized 2 strokes.  Wheelies with my fat a$$ on it!

Just don't buy the little one a 4 wheeler until the get the 2 wheeler down pat!  (My .02)

Enjoy the family life.  Kids are only little once!:super:

Sounds like a great day of show and tell mcoyote! I bet the kids were thrilled!

My hubby and I are token bike owners in our little neighborhood, and with several kids scattered up and down the road running to the front yard just to wave to us, I can tell that they're quite curious little creatures with lots of interest in what we're doing...heck, my boys can't keep their hands off of our bikes either... :)

Glad you gave so many of them a chance to sit and ask questions...sounds like fun! I bet there are more than a few "Dads" looking up "Hayabusa" on the Internet after that! Perhaps membership here will jump in the next few days?! :D

Dood thats awesome. Way to represent the sportbike community in such a postive manner. Great work!

Sounds like it was a great time. Now ya got me wishing they would do something like that around here. More so I could take my kids to it than just to show the busa off, I do that enough on the roads. Seems like it would be a really cool thing for the kiddies though

Sounds like a lot of fun to show the kids early what a great sport it is, and to teach them about proper riding gear as well. Good job, if you do it again next year you might want to bring a rear stand so the kids don't topple it over. All in all sounds like a good time.

Way to go Coyote!!!!!
Nice to see you spending time with your kids and their friends.
Keep up the good work.
Wayne

the cargo rack, etc. ...
Cargo rack!?! Please show me...
Where'd you get it?
How much?
Do I sound eager enough? ...
I have a Ventura bike rack on my 'Busa and it really really nice, especially with their purpose-built bags. You can carry a ridiculous amount of stuff in them.

Also, since they sit over the center of the rear seat (when riding solo) they don't affect your CG negatively as side and tail bags sometimes can. It was also a really easy install -- took about 20 minutes and didn't need any drilling or other destructive manuevers.

The company can be found here:
http://www.ventura-bike.com

...and the fitment for the 'Busa here:
http://www.ventura-bike.com/english...._id=570

Back