Dent in Gas Tank? How to Pull it!! HELP!

busaboyn2o

Registered
Ok, so here is my dilemma... You probably figured it out by the subject line.

Previous owner laid the bike down, and now there is a baseball size dent on the right side of my tank. He then had the bike repainted with the dent still there. I don't care for the paint anyway, so damaging that is not a problem, but I would like to salvage the tank if possible. Anyone have a good "How To" on pulling a dent from this area?

There are ways to do it, but unless you have the time and the tools it would be cheaper to go on the classifieds area on the forum here and pick up a good, dentless used tank, especially since it sounds like you do not like the paint anyways....am I correct in assuming that you are looking to repaint?

What color is the bike now?

-THE MENACE

lots of autoparts stores have dent puller tools...you may get lucky with one of these...otherwise get your wielder out some roud stock and make good and damn sure the tank is empty and fume free. Wield the rod into the center of the dent and start pulling till you are happy.

what color the tank, I have small dent tanks, tanks to cut and mod and also mint dent free tanks?

There are ways to do it, but unless you have the time and the tools it would be cheaper to go on the classifieds area on the forum here and pick up a good, dentless used tank, especially since it sounds like you do not like the paint anyways....am I correct in assuming that you are looking to repaint?

What color is the bike now?

-THE MENACE

Right now it's this strange bluish grey color. After it being painted the PO laid it down again and busted up the right side fairing, but managed not to hit the tank again somehow.

what color the tank, I have small dent tanks, tanks to cut and mod and also mint dent free tanks?

Goldenchild, unfortunately my welding skills are mediocre at best, so that part is out of the question. But I might be interested in a dent free tank. Color doesn't matter (it can be just primer for that matter). Let me know what you have. Also a right side fairing too (if you have it) again color doesn't matter. (Gen 1, BTW)

You can buy gen1 tanks dent free for less than $130..... so the amount of time, effort and money spent trying to "Maybe" fix the dent ain't worth it IMO :whistle: better off buying a used 1 and having it painted or get a tank cover and call it a day if you aren't too worried about looks

You can buy gen1 tanks dent free for less than $130..... so the amount of time, effort and money spent trying to "Maybe" fix the dent ain't worth it IMO :whistle: better off buying a used 1 and having it painted or get a tank cover and call it a day if you aren't too worried about looks

Yeah, I haven't seen too many blemish free going for that price. I was hoping someone had done it before and had a quick remedy aside from replacement. But from the sounds of it, it's looking like replacement is my best option at this point. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a deal to come up.

That's the key right there..... when I need something I check on here and ebay throughout the day watching and waiting 4 the deal to pop up. I bought a gen1 tank off ebay blemish free and no rust in or outside if it for $125 shipped. The deals will come, just gotta have patience :whistle:

Not a paint and body guy, but once you stretch the metal it's over. A suction cup pull probably won't work on a baseball size dent. Running screws in to pull it would leave holes. You could attempt to pull it out and use body filler to finish it off.

Buy a tank.

Back