Deer whistlers?

Speed King

Banned
I kinda live out where deer and other fury little critters like to roam.

I have heard people talk about "DEER WHISTLERS" , do they really work?

I worry more about fury creatures crossing my path than anything else when riding.

I had them on my CBR a few years back. As far as them working i cant really say but i never hit any deer. A lot of people around here have them on their car's & trucks. You can never be to safe right. Hope this helps

I live in Southern Illinois, which is deer capital of the frikkin world I believe (least it seems so) and just about every car I see that has been modified to "Deer Killer Edition" specs has whistles on it. Just sayin'........

They are little plastic round / squares tubes that let out a high pitch sound that repels deer...so they say.

deer-and-animal-whistle.jpg

I heard you can get Deer Whistlers at Walmart for $4.99, it does kinda seem like a joke but who knows, they might work. Better safe than sorry.

I think there should be some sort of group buy on here for deer whistlers so we all can have one:laugh:

I think if they worked the insurance companies would tell you to put them on..They would make alot more money.

I looked into this about 7 years ago when I first moved to California because there are tons of them here and no deer where I came from in Hawaii. There are wind whistles and also electronic versions that supposedly scare the deer away. I have seen them on bikes and the riders I have talked to said they have never hit or come close to one. The Sheriff's dept I spoke to a few years ago said they hit more deer the year they installed the whistle's on their cars ... ???

I never did install one but a deer got me in 07 and another came very very close in 08. So even if there is no evidence that they work I am considering installing one anyone else ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's another kind of deer whistle ... :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:
A deer whistle does not stop them from crossing the road.
They do hear it, and do lift their heads up and look, and if you are looking for them that may give you a heads up that they are there.
I use them and have lots of deer around and they do pop up when they hear them.

A deer whistle does not stop them from crossing the road.
They do hear it, and do lift their heads up and look, and if you are looking for them that may give you a heads up that they are there.
I use them and have lots of deer around and they do pop up when they hear them.

Mike, You ever hit any or close calls with the whistles installed?

Mike, You ever hit any or close calls with the whistles installed?

Lots of close calls, and no hits yet.
If deer are next to a 4 lane with lots of traffic, they probably are immune to the whistles and won't hear them, but if it is a quieter road, they do hear them and look.
I have tested both with and without and there is a difference.
Hey if I only see one head pop up once, they are worth it to me.
The other thing is a deer will ALMOST ALWAYS cross the road in front of you instead of running off in the other direction.
If I see one, I'm slowing down, because at the last minute, he will dart in front.
I guess that is why they taste so good - not too smart.
Have to have some benefit in the scheme of things. :laugh:

I have had deer whistles on a blazer I had. Hit a deer with it. Not saying it didn't prevent others from getting hit. Who knows. I know I go through deer alley on my way to work and have hit 3 maybe 4 if you count bumping one....:whistle:
I am not going to put them on my bike because I personally believe they make little or no difference. The other morning I was doing 50 through a long straight where the deer gather on my way to work. That and being vigilent is my best defence...oh and the hid kit I put on...outstanding!!!!:thumbsup:

Back