DEEP FRYING A TURKEY

FASTBUSA06

Registered
THIS WILL BE MY FIRST ONE. ANY TIPS,I READ THE MANUAL, SEEMS CUT AND DRY.
race.gif

Make sure the grease is at temp, And have some gloves availible to handle the turkey after coming out of the grease

Use water first to make sure you know how full to fill the oil in the fryer. You do not want to over fill it.

Use peanut oil for better taste.

Go ahead and cook some fries and tater tots also....it is alot of work for just 1 turkey.

Water and hot oil do not mix

Fill the pot with water and put the turkey in it to determine the correct level for the oil. Then drain and fill with a good quality peanut oil.

Use smaller turkeys. It is much better to fry two 11lb birds than try to do one 22lb bird.

Make sure the bird is thawed and dry. I use fresh ones instead of messing with frozen.

Ohhhh and take that little packet out of its @$$ first!

Bullet Train was pretty successfull at deep frying a turkey.

I do it every year.... no frozen birds either... I try to keep them around 10-12 lbs bigger birds do not work as well for me... I also brine the thing for 24 hours first... (2 cups salt, 1 cup sugar and soak) Injection is great too if you like cajun... man I am hungry now.... maybe we can do a couple for spring bash
smile.gif

LASTLY do it away from the house in case of fire.... never know

THANKS FOR THE QUICK RESPONSE!!!!! AND I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE HAVING A BORING DAY.WELL ALMOST 5:00 TIME TO GO HOME AND BREAK OUT THE FRYER.THANKS AGAIN.

BY THE WAY I'M ONLY PUTTING THE FRYER TOGETHER TONIGHT,NOT COOKING THE BIRD. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT

been doing mine that way for years i inject mine most of the time with some kind of seasoning keeps them moist and taste great

Be sure to season the turkey the evening before to let the seasoning even out. Get the oil back up to temp as fast as you can after putting the turkey in. It will drop a little at first. Maintain 325 to 350 and fry about 3 and a half minutes a pound. Be sure to cook some french fries for something to munch on while it cooking.
I like to have a nip or two while cooking out but it's not a good idea to get loose with all the hot oil around.
lurk.gif

If by chance you are serving to others make sure nobody has a nut allergy before they eat any of it. You don't want to kill anybody. Second as mentioned do it away from the house and not on a wooden deck. If something goes wrong and the thing goes up in a fireball you don't want to take out your house... I sell restaurant supplies and we sell the fryers and the peanut and many other oils. Those are the two warnings we were etold to give. Most bars or restaurants opt for canola oil instead.

Peanut oil is not cheap and you can get a couple of runs out of it if you clean it up and freeze it till next time. After the oil cools down, WAY DOWN, run it through a paper coffee filter in a funnel to get all the food out of it. Put it into whatever containers will fit into your frezzer till next time. 2 liter soda bottle work good as long as they are washed and dried. Freeze them without the cover and put them on after the stuff gets down below freezing.

Just thaw the oil on the counter next time you need it. I have guys that will go 5 or 6 times depending on how much crap you get in the oil and the temps you run. Most fry oils are good up to 350 and some like peanut will tolerate 370-375 but push much past that and the oil will burn.

Make sure the turkey is dry... Splattering yourself with hot oil SUCKS!!!

+1 on around 325 degrees and 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per pound. Had one at work cooked that way in peanut oil just a few days ago and it was wonderful!

I've always wanted to try this (eat it). I'm WAY to afraid of burning the house down !!! Isn't it dangerous, I always hear people burning down their homes doing this ?

Back