Deep cleaning the busa

Pbadasay

Registered
Well I got the busa home from Michigan, Sunday night. 7 hours of driving with the busa in the back of a truck with some flurries falling here and there resulted in one dirty bike. Took the whole day off yesterday to get her completely apart so I can give her a deep clean to my standards (I'm anal about keeping my toyz clean). I figured I'd get her completely naked because I ordered a few things that ill be installing once I receive them. I have a full titanium akro 4-2-1 exhaust, a zero gravity double bubble, a fender eliminator kit, a ballistic lithium battery, and a luimoto seat cover (I think they set the bike apart) in transit. I appreciate all the tips and tricks and tutorials to get the fairings apart, I'd still be trying to get her apart if I didn't have you guys!

Next steps, full synthetic amsoil oil change with Suzuki filter, change out spark plugs with some NGK iridium plugs, deep clean the chain once my buddy lets me borrow his stand. I ordered a Philips xtreme vision headlight bulb (I will eventually upgrade to a retrofit hid but want to ride her for now to see how I like the stock lighting). That should be about it, any advice would be highly appreciated! Ohh yeah, I'll be getting the ecu flashed once I get the exhaust installed and ready to go.

image.jpg

Sounds like some good January fun!
Thought I might toss a couple opinions out there, since you asked of course.
Pull a couple plugs if you want to, and inspect them. If they don't look worn out or nasty, there's not much point in replacing them unless you just really wanted to.
It should already have NGK iridium plugs in it stock, so you wouldn't really be "changing" anything, just replacing.
***this is assuming, someone else hasn't already replaced the stock plugs with something else***
I forget at the moment what what mileage the manual suggests replacing the factory plugs. Though I want to say its something like 15k miles. If you're over that, then by all means swap'em if ya want to, all it could do is perform a little better. And doesn't want a little better performance for relatively cheap!

And those Xtra vision bulbs, I got some of those for one of my past cars, and I really liked them. They don't last as long as a standard bulb though, and that was in a car with manual lights (no DRLs). The silverstars are crap.
I'm still using the stock bulb in Busa. I think it gives plenty of light. When it does go out, I might get a Xtra Vision, but I might not too.

Keep it clean! Here's to waiting for spring! :beerchug:

You sound like you have been reading and have a good head on your shoulders to me. I wished I had known about those bulbs. I replaced my low beam a few months ago for the same price and those are advertised to give 80% more light :laugh: If that low beam ever goes out again I need to do my homework. I don't ride much after dark, but feel that Suzuki did a great job upgrading the headlights of the Gen II.

I pull chain maintenance after a good ride. Like changing the oil, I've always understood it was better to do it when it's hot.

Need to send my dirty girl to you, that's for sure. :poke:

Kyt, you're the man! My bike only has 2600 miles on her but its been two seasons and the previous owner said he started the bike during the winter. My problem is that I'm not so sure he was mechanically inclined and made sure to warm up the bike before he turned it off. If he turned it off cold, that's just gonna foul the plugs. I figured since I have her apart, I should get her to 100% so I don't have a single worry about being mechanically sound on the road. About those bulbs, they come in a pack of pairs so I'm fine with the life of the bulbs. By the time the second bulb goes out, I should have a hid system in place. I don't plan on doing a lot of dark backroad riding but I just want to make sure the roads lit for any occasion :laugh: I appreciate your insight, I'll keep everyone posted on the process.

Dadofthree, I have definitely done my homework. I used to jump the gun on things and that feeling of retreat sucks so I've learned from experience lol I've heard those bulbs are super bright but they do have a shorter life....only come in pairs so you can't go wrong :thumbsup:
I appreciate the insight on a warm chain! I just purchased a pitbull stand for 60 bucks here locally from a guy who laid down his zx14 and sold his bike so I plan on changing the oil tomorrow.....warm that baby up and get all that grime out of there! I can clean the chain now as well!

Kyt, you're the man! My bike only has 2600 miles on her but its been two seasons and the previous owner said he started the bike during the winter. My problem is that I'm not so sure he was mechanically inclined and made sure to warm up the bike before he turned it off. If he turned it off cold, that's just gonna foul the plugs. I figured since I have her apart, I should get her to 100% so I don't have a single worry about being mechanically sound on the road. About those bulbs, they come in a pack of pairs so I'm fine with the life of the bulbs. By the time the second bulb goes out, I should have a hid system in place. I don't plan on doing a lot of dark backroad riding but I just want to make sure the roads lit for any occasion :laugh: I appreciate your insight, I'll keep everyone posted on the process.

Nothing wrong with that at all, I don't blame you one bit and would probably do so myself as well.
In addition, if you're at all worried, take an oil sample and send it in to Motorcycle
They'll send you a sample kit for free, all you have to do is ask for it.
Being that your bike is still pretty new, you shouldn't see anything unexpected on the report. Some people consider this wasteful, I however find it to be a useful baseline.
Then every other oil change, or however often you want, get another report. Over time you'll be able to see changes in the state of the engine's internals.
At the end of the page I linked above, there is a special motorcycle slip you can print out and use, but you don't have to, you can use the standard slip that comes with the kit if you want.
There's a couple sample reports on there too, so you can see the kinds of data they can test for.

I got a report for my Busa when I changed the oil for the first time after switching over to Shell Rotella T.
I paid the extra $5-10 (whatever it is) for the TBN to see how well the oil itself was holding up too.
I can send you my report if you'd like to look at it, additionally others have posted their reports on this forum, just search for them.

A little bit of an update!!

Got the oil/filter changed out. Man that exhaust is a pain in neck to get around and i just read a post from earlier today about the full akro exhausts being a super pain lol ohh well, it's worth it in the end!
I changed the plugs out....only 2600 miles on the bike and as i expected, the plugs were fouled out from the previous owner starting the bike but not warming the bike up completely before turning it off. Completely black and ugly...put a dab of anti-seize and threw the new plugs in!! :bigsmile:

I got the bike back inside and took the exhaust off. Talk about a real headache! I wish there was an easier way. Seems like the only way to get the exhaust off is by loosening the mounts for the fan and radiator so you can get your hands in position to loosen the bolts....or else good luck! I managed to get it off after 2 freakin hours...yes 2 hours...but that includes many breaks I took to clean up the bike and rests I took from being in so many awkward positions...I'm anxious for the new exhaust to come

I got the tank lifted and everything removed under it so I can easily install the block off plates...got the throttle body completely covered so nothing gets inside.

Whew I'm exhausted....until next time lol

Pic of heavy stock exhaust.....pic of bogged out plugs....pic of how dirty this bike is, this was what it looked like under the air box....this is why im taking her completely apart and getting my hands dirty...plus it's a learning experience for me, I get to learn the ins and outs of the bike :laugh:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I couldn't believe how heavy the stock heads and canisters were. What an amazing difference the bike is when you change to full exhaust. At least the akrapovic I can speak on. Not sure the weight of others.

I couldn't believe how heavy the stock heads and canisters were. What an amazing difference the bike is when you change to full exhaust. At least the akrapovic I can speak on. Not sure the weight of others.

yea they are heavy...i remember when i did mine...

lookin good....i have the lui moto seat covers for mine and love them...best of luck with it...ohh yea...good thing you got the fastest color :laugh:

Those cans felt life 15 pounds each and then the header a little more....if I didn't put some phone books (only use for them in 2013) as a jack stand to keep the exhaust from dropping once I got it loose, I would've scratched the fins and radiator and everything else it could've came in contact with. And yeah I got the full titanium akro 4-2-1 exhaust coming, I love the looks and sound of it...I'm not much into the loud roaring exhausts personally....

Square your bike definitely looks good! I have a luimoto seat in the mail on its way, they look amazing on our color bike! The only thing the sets the bike apart even more are the shoei helmets that make our bikes color scheme! If they weren't 500 bucks, I could justify buying one.........yet :whistle:

My entire Brocks system weighed 7.5 pounds from memory. Big difference.

Rooster I actually have a room on the bottom level of my condo that I've literally stepped foot in 2 times since I bought the house (bought it a year and a half ago). It leads straight from the garage into the room and we never changed the old carpet out so the wifey let me use it and abuse it haha once we get to remodeling that room, the bike will have to stay in the garage.....maybe :laugh: gotta treat her like she's part of the family right? :lol:

Look what I got in the mail! Whoo hoo! Yes they are used but in great shape after I cleaned them up! Got a really good deal too!

I only got the wheel tape to see what it looks like on the bike, just a little something to set the bike apart...color looks really close to the bikes blue so we shall see

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

you wouldn't think something as simple as wheel tape could make such a difference.
Here's mine with reflective orange tape

Edit: added a second image where flash was used to make the tape "glow"

116441968.jpg

large.jpg

Last edited:
WoW I didn't even think to see what it looks like on other busas, that's a super clean look! I guess it's a safety thing too since they reflect like crazy! :thumbsup:

Back