Decisions, decisions, should I sell my track bike?

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
My 2007 600 Gixxer has 10,000 miles, I dropped it left side on the track, so it needs plastics and a couple of pieces.

The plan was to make it a track bike, with track plastics, but time is not on my side. Between work, 10-12 hours of cycling a week and woodwork, this little Gixxer is just gathering dust.

Probably as soon as it is gone, I will want to ride on the track again. :laugh:

So, what do I do?

1.) Sell it as is?
2.) Fix it so it looks like new of the floor, probably cost me around $1,500 for all the plastics, new battery etc.?
3.) Put track plastics on it for around $600 and sell it as a track bike?
4.) Let it sit in my garage for another year?

Track bikes don't sell for much in my area, if you don't need the money I'd start it up here and there and keep it around till you get the itch again.

if i didn't need the money now and had the faintest idea that the itch was going to come back, i would just hold on to it until i knew for sure what i wanted to do...buying, wrecking, fixing, selling just to go back and do it again twelve months later can get expensive :beerchug:

Keep it over in the corner of the garage with a sheet over it so it's un-noticed and find time to do a couple of track days (At least) during the year. There is no better means of keeping your skills sharpe. Your track skills may come in handy at some point and you'll be happy you made the right decision. :thumbsup:

I should be riding a Goldwing at my age and I'm still romping with the youngsters. Track time has definately aided in keeping my mind as well as my reflexes sharp.

I have several bikes and sell one here and there and pick up another. One has been sitting for almost 15 years. I ll do a little work and let it sit. This winter I ll try and finish it up. But I guess my point is, things come and go. If it was meant to be with you, you wouldnt really be questioning it I guess. That's how I look at it. If the thought is in your head, then you already made most of the decision. You can always pick up another one if you wanted to play again.

Good luck!

Todd

Keep it over in the corner of the garage with a sheet over it so it's un-noticed and find time to do a couple of track days (At least) during the year. There is no better means of keeping your skills sharpe. Your track skills may come in handy at some point and you'll be happy you made the right decision. :thumbsup:

I should be riding a Goldwing at my age and I'm still romping with the youngsters. Track time has definately aided in keeping my mind as well as my reflexes sharp.

That sounds like good advice Tuff. Think last time me and someone else were the oldest guys there. After my crash, one of the youngsters wrote on the club forum: "Were you the older guy, whose wife dropped the "f" bomb at 120 decibels when she saw you crash?" :laugh:

You could donate it to TEAM GIXXER RACING..... I would put it to great use for you :laugh:

Seriously, I would just out it in the corner, keep it running, and do a track day here and there when you can. Track bikes here don't bring much expecially when they need some plastic work.

Shoot me a price, I might be looking for a track bike...

Back