Decided to Road Test My Gear

DeWarrior

Registered
See Added Pics Below.

Yesterday I decided to go out and try and find a road another rider told me about some time ago. Well I found the road and it was a very nice road, for Florida, and I was having some serious fun. A little too much fun. I kinda forgot that I had never been on this road before and should be taking it easy until I was familiar with it.

So, I enter the first part of a nice S curve, no problems, I throw the bike over to the right side for the second curve and begin to realize that 90 mph is a little fast as I start drifting towards the yellow line on this blind curve. So I gently roll off throttle and apply a little front brake. Unfortunately at about that moment I run through some sand / dirt and the front end slides right out from under me. I hit the road on my right shoulder and head, flipped once, then slid on my back till I finally came to a stop. Then I jumped up and ran over to the bike which was lying on its side half in a ditch.

The gear worked well. I had on Joe Rocket boots, Blaster jacket with CE armor, Phoenix gloves, and a KBC Wolf helmet. The only damage to me after hitting the pavement at about 90 is a sore right wrist and shoulder, not bad, and the little toe on my right foot has turned black, not broken though. It is a good thing that I spent most of the time on my back because I was wearing jeans. My jeans didn't hit the road until I was almost stopped. Even then they burned through, but I didn't get a scratch on me. I consider myself one lucky bastard, stupid but lucky.

The bike seems to be mechanically sound. The frame is unmarked, somehow the exhaust is untouched, but pretty much every piece of plastic is toast, except for the Top Gun undertail. I probably could have ridden it home except that the clutch lever was broken off. The bike starts and runs fine, no electrical problems, no fault codes, no fluid leaks.

About 10 minutes after I got the bike up and out of the ditch a whole herd of sport bikes came roaring by, and many stopped to see if I needed help. By shear coincidence several of these people are hayabusa.org members that I got to meet for the first time. I am bad with names, takes a few times to remember them, but I would like to thank all of you that stopped to help, including but not limited to Bushida1300, Bronch, and NotKnowin. Bushida1300 even offered to go get his truck and trailer, come pick me up, and take me home about 65 miles away! Good people all.

One funny thing. My wallet, which was in my back pocket, disappeared. Me and several of the people who stopped to help looked for over an hour and never found it.

Now I gotta get my baby fixed back up. Insurance or go it alone? Anyone who has had a similar experiance .... advice / tips are welcome.

<!--EDIT|DeWarrior
Reason for Edit: "Added Pics"|1082923430 -->

That sucks De. I had a similar thing happen to me last year as well. Except my bike was totaled.

Glad you came out of it relatively unharmed. It could have been a lot worse.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.. but glad you emerged relatively unscathed. Dare I say it... you were lucky. Props to all those who helped.

man that sucks but at least no damage to you
cool.gif

glad your ok dude but as for fixing the bike it depends how much is your deductable ?? im fixing mine piece by piece gets expensive but its cheaper going at it in small amounts as apposed to buying everything at once anyway that my take and what i am doing since i am on a very tight budget good luck on the fix and get back on her asap

Glad you're in one piece bro!
2-Things
1-good reason to always wear full gear
2-You were more than lucky, you were blessed.

Take it easy getting fixed and back on the road. In response to people stopping to help, I've said it before we're a special breed here us h.org folk. God bless my man.

Wow, man glad your ok. I heard the message you left me (when I got to work today) which must have been before this. Dang, let me know if you go the fix it yourself route I'll be happy to come down there sometime and help wrench on it.

Wow man ... glad your okay ... you were lucky and blessed to come out of that okay ... big ups to all those that stopped to help.

DJ

DJsBanner.jpg

Glad your ok and thanks for posting - it always adds a smile to my face when someone goes down and then gets back up un hurt - kinda re assuring for when & if it happens to me.......

good to hear you are ok!
biggrin.gif

Depending on deductable, you can check ebay for complete parts or go part by part as well. What year/color do you have?

Sorry to hear that you had to road test your gear...glad you're okay though...good luck with the repairs.

Glad to hear you are okay, DeWarrior! Sorry to hear about the bike though!

think you can post some pics of your gear and bike after this unfortunate fall? I'd like to see how they held up.

Thanks
Brian

You are lucky, glad that you were wearing gear and take it easy. Just look at it like this though, you can get a custome paint job, and chrome out the bike now
biggrin.gif
that is what I did when I went down.

Dang, let me know if you go the fix it yourself route I'll be happy to come down there sometime and help wrench on it.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I'm not sure yet what I am going to do. I think the first step is to get it to the shop and have them assess the damages then decide whether or not to make a claim or fix it myself.

Can anyone say from experiance how much my insurance would be likely to go up? I have a safe driver endorsement, no priors. I guess after almost 30 years of riding this was bound to happen.

By the way, thanks all for your kind words. I will try and take some pics of the gear and the bike. Might need some help posting them though.

Back