Debating on putting my dog to sleep

AZIROC

Registered
Well, as much as i was against it last week, im wondering it would be best now. She is a 14 year old cocker and has had a completely healthy life. but for whatever reason, about 2 weeks ago, she wouldnt want to walk/put weight on her right rear leg. we decided to wait a few days and c what happens. well, a day went by and everything was ok. she was still eating and what not but she still didnt want to put any weight on it, but she would if she had 2. and she would still eat and what not like normal. well, as of 2 days ago, she just hit rock bottom. she has basically lost all control of her bowel (sp?) movement, just wont eat *even tried 2 tempt her with KFC and McD's frys* and nothen. there is blood in her stool and now when my mom or i get home, she just lays in her bed and barey acknowledges we r ome (normally she would be clawing at the front door the sec she hear us and jumping up and down, and even a few weeks ago when she didnt want to put weight on her right rear leg, she would atleast make an effort to get up and put weight on her leg to walk over to where we were). I have an appointment tomorrow at 11am to have her see a vet. I have been told she could have hip dysplasia, but of course they would need x-rays ($151, on top of the $50 normal vet visit). my mom called another vet that she always took her dog to, and they basically said any place is gonna need 2 run x-rays and what not and IF she needs surgery, because of her age, they doubt she will live thru it, let alone it wil lbe alteast $500-700 before the surgery 2 fine anything out. now, dont get me wrong, price is no object. shes been my best friend and ill do anything for her. but ive read online from alot of websites, to make a list of 10 things she loved to do, and when she cant do those 10 things anymore, its time. and.. well.. as of a few days ago, that list was up. she is not in any pain, she has never wimpered or cried or anything to indecate shes in pain, so i dont know what to do.

It is all about quality of life. If she can't do the things she loved to do once then it is time. You don't want to have to worry about her when you are gone and if someone is watching her you don't want to put them threw the pain of making a decision on what do do if she gets worse and they can't get ahold of you. My last dog was my companion and protector for 4 years and when he got hurt my best choice was to put him down. He could have been fixed, but he would have had massive scars all over him and would have to take medicine for the rest of his life to keep him where he could do things. I just didn't want to put him threw that. Sorry for the long post, but animals hold a special place in my heart.

not an easy choice. Ask yourself is she living a quality life, or just living? if she is just living, can't get up, play, or do any of the normal things she used to do, things that a dog likes to do, it may be time. that is how I would decide. if she still had a good quality life, but had just had slowed down a lot, then that would be different. It sounds like she has pretty much stopped living and is just existing. ask yourself what is best for her, not you.

good luck with your decision

Ask yourself is she living a quality life, or just living?

thats where im basically at right now. 2 weeks ago i asked myself that and i felt she was still doing ok. but fast forward to a few ago, and yeah..now im thinking shes just living. i feel i will basically end up putting her down, but in a way i wish she would pass in her sleep instead. i just dont know if i could make that big decision and not regret it or ask myself it was to soon or if there was anything i could do. but i guess the vet visit tomorrow will answer everything.

Wait until the tomorrow and see what the vet has to say. Putting your best friend to sleep is a horrible thing to have to deal with but like the others have said, if she's not happy anymore, why put her through that? IF you feel it is time to make that choice, just know that it is a painless way to go out. You'll be able to be there with her until her last breathe and know that she's at peace now. Wait to hear from the vet and make the decision then. If she cannot be saved, put her down before it gets to the point that she IS in pain all the time. I wish you the best and prayers have been sent to you and your best friend.

My buddy had a poodle that he loved more than anything. He even quit smoking cold turkey because it was causing her health problems. She finally reached the age of 13 and started having some of the same problems you mentioned. He made a hard choice but life without a little bit of quality isn't life. Just think about your pup and you'll have your answer.
The one thing that sux about Dogs is their life is so short compared to ours. I just wish people had as much compasion.

Just like your dog you will know when the time has come. I have had the fortune of many animals in my life and they instinctively know when the time is at hand.
It hurts but in the long run you will still have the pleasant memories of a wonder companion and loving pet.
Bubba

It is all about quality of life. If she can't do the things she loved to do once then it is time. You don't want to have to worry about her when you are gone and if someone is watching her you don't want to put them threw the pain of making a decision on what do do if she gets worse and they can't get ahold of you. My last dog was my companion and protector for 4 years and when he got hurt my best choice was to put him down. He could have been fixed, but he would have had massive scars all over him and would have to take medicine for the rest of his life to keep him where he could do things. I just didn't want to put him threw that. Sorry for the long post, but animals hold a special place in my heart.

I am so sorry!! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your buddy!!

X 1,000- I would go to the ends of my means for my dogs-only if they would still be able to enjoy a quality life. Our dogs (and other pets) do so much for us, after a bad day were I'd be close to snapping if somebody sat at a green lite to long, pull in my drive and see my mutts goin' crazy to see me-suddenly all thats gone. What ever you decide, I hope things work out for all involved

I have an 18 year old lab his list gets shorter every day. He has been a great friend. Soon I will have to return the favor and do what is best for him. He will have a special place in the yard as in our hearts. I feel for you It's a tough decision.

Hi ,I say no, don't put the dog to sleep. Maybe try another dog food,my mini pin was like that just a few months ago, Blood in the stool,not eating, I took him to the vet and racked up a 500 vet bill.They couldn't tell me what was wrong with him, It turns out, it was the food, I had to change the food. Try boiled chicken and rice.. Just give the dog time.If the dog is doing strange things that its never done before,going under the bed,or closet,and just really strange things,then mother nature will take it course.. See what the vet says, I say, give the dog time.. I could never put a dog down..:heart-break: Have dog checked for worms,heart worms,tics,ect,ect..Good luck,and prayers to the dogie and u.

.... well, for the food, we have tried that. we thought maybe the dry dog food was to much for her, so we tried wet. then we tried chicken and rice, nothen. and she is a HUGE fan of KFC chicken and McD's french frys... and she didnt want any of it. but ill try a few more things.

My dog had something like that and he did recover, so I am glad I didn't rush to have him put down. (he is 14 also)
Give her some time and see if she recovers, with the vet treatment.
She could have a blockage or something else real simple.
I don't think hip displacia has anything to do with the bowels or not eating, but I am no vet.
Good luck!

Another thing to consider: a dog (or cat) will go through surprisingly great lengths to NOT let you see them in pain. If her quality of life is gone, do her the ultimate favor and set her free from her suffering. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Yup, it's one mercy we offer our animal friends that we don't extend to our human loved ones. If your Pet can no longer do the things they used to do, and aren't enjoying life, or at least able to relax on a porch? Then it's time. I watched a very close friend wrestle with this decision, it was his childhood dog and had been his companion for 12 years from 13-25 and he found himself unable to let go. After months of surgery, therapy, and having his friend in constant misery he realized that it was simply time. Though he still carries around a lot of guilt about the additional suffering and stress his friend endured... I would say it's much better to have a good long look at your pooch, look into their eyes, and let them make the decision for you.

It's rough though, I know from experience. When my buddy and friend for 20 years (my cat named Niki) who had been with me through 5 moves, 3 states, into and out of the Air Force there the whole time had a stroke and couldn't even walk straight or hold her head straight, it broke my heart... Took me 3 years to get another pet.... So I feel for you, but if it's time, it's time.

Just make certain that you get the body or ashes back. I made the mistake of NOT doing so, and I still feel horrible to the point of tears about it.... Even 6 years later.

Its very hard to do bud. I just had to put mine down yesterday. It was very sad leading up to it but after it was done i felt so much better. he now has a special place in the yard.

I agree with notright, "return the favor and do what is best for him". It's the right thing to do.

Back